Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:55 PM

43,851 posts, read 51,462,798 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if I can find it online to catch a few episodes online!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,495,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll see if I can find it online to catch a few episodes online!
Give it a try. You might like it. I like it more than a lot of other shows but it's not Top Chef, either. It's not Hell's Kitchen either, thank goodness.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,672,634 times
How do the contestants choose their chefs? I just watched the food truck episode, where the Sinners & Saints contestant hired a new chef, and they didn't jibe at all! It didn't show the process of her interviewing people... do the investors (or producers) provide new chefs, or did she place an ad somewhere, or?? It seems like she hadn't interviewed him or anything, they were just suddenly working together - I don't see how that could possibly work.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:12 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,787,526 times
I know for the original chefs, there was a pool of about 24 (?) chefs that all the contestants could choose from after doing very quick interviews, and there was some squabbling because several contestants wanted the same chefs. Due to time constraints, I doubt they let the Sinners lady (and the Indian guy, who changed chefs a few episodes ago) post ads etc, but the producers probably brought in 2-4 chefs for them to choose from.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,453,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I know for the original chefs, there was a pool of about 24 (?) chefs that all the contestants could choose from after doing very quick interviews, and there was some squabbling because several contestants wanted the same chefs. Due to time constraints, I doubt they let the Sinners lady (and the Indian guy, who changed chefs a few episodes ago) post ads etc, but the producers probably brought in 2-4 chefs for them to choose from.
Thats got to be tough, as a past Kitchen Manager I can tell you I went through cooks like most go thru underware.
Most cooks are total jerks that do not follow direction very well, their way is always the better way.
When you are working a set menu it's hard dealing with someone that wants to give a personal tweak on everything.
I think when you are trying to impress judges it's wise to stick with one person and try to train them to your ways of doing things..
Alot of times that still does not work..

Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Thats got to be tough, as a past Kitchen Manager I can tell you I went through cooks like most go thru underware.
Most cooks are total jerks that do not follow direction very well, their way is always the better way.
When you are working a set menu it's hard dealing with someone that wants to give a personal tweak on everything.
I think when you are trying to impress judges it's wise to stick with one person and try to train them to your ways of doing things..
Alot of times that still does not work..
Your comments turned out to be very apropos. The last two cuts have been because of chefs.

Poor Sandy (?) of Sinners and Saints got stuck with a crazy new chef and if that weren't bad enough, the Grill Billies folks' chef had a major meltdown, too. Granted, that couple never had a clear direction and constantly fought so you could easily see it coming. But wow, that chef was a major jerk. He better hope not too many restaurant managers saw the show.

Even the Indian guy has often had to cook his own food. All chefs can't be this bad? I'm surprised they haven't utilized the work horses of the restaurant world; the Hispanic chefs. They tend to follow direction better and get it done.

I hear there are posts in the LA Craigslist looking to hire at the winner's restaurant.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Glad to see the attorney lady finally get cut. I'm surprised she lasted that long. She started out cooking with a calorie counter book and went onto Mediterranean because the investors told her to. She would have never come up with the concept on her own. Nice lady but totally lost. She had no understanding of food. It makes me wonder why the heck she wanted to start a restaurant.

It's down to Soul Daddy, Meatball guy and Indian guy. I'm pulling for Soul Daddy. I just like him, his food looks great and soul food is something that can definitely catch on. It was his birthday the night of this episode and I was glad to seem him still in it.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,787,526 times
I am hoping for Indian guy, but Soul Daddy would be ok too.
I just really dislike Meatball guy.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,672,634 times
In terms of widely accepted and desired, I think Soul Daddy is the concept to go with. The meatballs are apparently good, but I can't see going to that restaurant very often.

I would love for Spice Coast to make it, but realistically, I'm not sure how well that food would fly in smaller towns, even an "americanized" version. There is growing acceptance of Indian food, but most people want what they're familiar with. Though, who knows? Spice Coast might be the thing that popularizes Indian cuisine coast-to-coast.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:28 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,462,798 times
I'm a fan of Soul Daddy too. Seems like he can create more of a diverse menu with the types of food he cooks and has incorporated into his style of cooking. I don't dislike the others at all, I just really like him better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV