Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,469,392 times

Advertisements

I think Soul Daddy wins.
Most are not ready for Indian fast food.
Joey's Meatballs will never make it in NY. they already have a million Italian restaurants in NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,735,070 times
I really am starting to hate this show. It's the judges. Bobby is still Bobby, but I used to like Curtis. No more. Really have no clue who that woman from Miami is - never heard of her before. and Steve whatshisname from Chipotle seems to just want to make everyone else into a Chipotle clone. Ugh.

I like the last 3 left, but I really don't know that Soul Daddy and the meatball company guys are smart enough to run a restaurant. JMO.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:18 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,495,160 times
Steve Ells is coming across as a huge jerk. He might want to rethink being on television, again. It can't be helping his restaurant.

I've seen Gloria from Miami - I can't remember her last name - as a judge on Top Chef.

I've never been a huge Curtis Stone fan. I still haven't watched my downloads of Master Chef so maybe I'll change my mind. I do delight in him giving digs to Chipotle guy, though. My guess is he's not really a fan of Steve Ells.

I want Soul Daddy to win because once all of America is turned on to soul food it will be a big hit. And the guy is really likeable. I also like the Indian restaurant idea. I think it could also catch on.

Meatballs? Meh. Every place in America has an Italian restaurant. And PDD is correct. It would never get off the ground in NYC. Probably not LA, either. It's been done to death. And if he can spit out bad meatballs like he did on the last episode, well fuhgeddaboudit.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM

891 posts, read 2,460,084 times
I have really enjoyed this show. They have kept it to what would make a good restaurant, no personality stuff

Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM

Somebody posted a link to a ANGR recap on Soul Daddy's FB page. It's hilarious. However, it does have a spoiler in there, of sorts, so read with caution.

America’s Next Great Restaurant Recap: David Rees Needs an Army of Kale Soldiers -- Grub Street New York

Spoiler
He gives a link to the owner of Spice Coast's twitter feed and he is having a meltdown over editing. The writer thinks that it's safe to say that Spice Coast doesn't win just by the rants. And I think he's right.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:09 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,787,526 times
Must say, I am a little surprised- it looked to me that the customers consistently prefered Spice Coast (which was also my favourite). But Soul Daddy could be good, so not disappointed. I am glad meatball guy didn't win; his concept was too one dimensional (especially for this vegetarian!), and I just didn't like the guy.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,565,373 times
I give Soul Daddy less than a year. Who goes out for Healthy Soul Food?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,735,070 times
Slamont, my husband and I said the same thing! That's like opening a Vegetarian Steakhouse. WTF? He sold them on the idea by making fried chicken and waffles. By the end, 3 of them had totally screwed up his vision and now it's "healthy" soul food? I don't think so. I wish him well, but I don't go out for soul food b/c I'm looking for healthy, I go for some good ol' skool cooking. Pffft.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM

4,364 posts, read 6,565,373 times
Out of curiosity I looked it up. Food Court at Mall of America. I'm sure the others will be similar. I think Spice Coast may have had a better chance, it even sounds like a food court eatery.

Guess they should have called the show America's Next Great Food Court entry. A Restaurant they are not.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Slamont, my husband and I said the same thing! That's like opening a Vegetarian Steakhouse. WTF? He sold them on the idea by making fried chicken and waffles. By the end, 3 of them had totally screwed up his vision and now it's "healthy" soul food? I don't think so. I wish him well, but I don't go out for soul food b/c I'm looking for healthy, I go for some good ol' skool cooking. Pffft.
I hear that. In fact they messed with everyone, really.

I hope Bobby pushed for him to at least sell fried chicken. I think he was the only investor that knew what he was doing. And Curtis has no idea what Americans want and what is the essence of soul food. I liked that he would challenge Steve Ells who wanted everyone to be the next Chipotle - which made no sense since he would only create competition. But Curtis doesn't "get" soul food.

I've heard that opening day did very well in all three locations, though. Time will tell but I think that Jamawn is easily run over by the investors. However, I think Bobby might have his back.

Joey ended up being friends with Jamawn but Spice Coast guy has been really, really nasty about the show for the past couple of weeks. He made it pretty anti-climatic because he practically told everyone who won ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV