Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerd girl View Post
Who's ready for the new episode TONIGHT?
I have to wait a few days for it to show on On Demand with Comcast but I will be watching. Looking forward to it. I just watched the latest interviews last night about the various Doctors and monsters.

I wish they would have had old people like me make comments. There are fans who have watching from Hartnell on. I began watching with the Tom Baker Doctor in the 1980's but I have seen all of the series from Hartnell from 1963 to Smith in the present in 2011.

It's interesting how the show began, not at all what we see today. But I love it no matter what incarnation or should I say "regeneration" it's in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 11:33 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,835,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why?
With the over-complication of the plots and subplots and the blatant sexism and all the things of that nature. Rant and spoilers under the cut.

Spoiler
I mean, Mels just pops in out of nowhere with no reference to her ever being made before, suddenly she's River Song and she doesn't even have the recent post-regeneration "let me take a time-out" moment.

It also feels like we got absolutely nowhere plot-wise in Let's Kill Hitler. We found out that the Silence is a religious order and somehow the Doctor fixed River/Melody from the brainwashing, and she is able to use all of her potential regenerations to save him, even though it seems like she doesn't even understand her Time Lord-y power? I don't buy that. It's like Moffat's making these ridiculously intricate plots and then when something needs to be resolved he just mashes a few pieces together and ta-da, it's fixed!

Then, of course, there's the "permission to hug" bits, which I'm not sure why Amy doesn't tell the both of them to knock that rubbish off. She's supposed to be the "bad girl in the TARDIS," but it seems like she's only a "bad girl" in image. Most "bad girls" probably wouldn't be okay with being talked about like an object.

I'm trying not to think too much into "Mels is black and Moffat had her steal a car (and a bus)" thing but I'm sure you can see where I'd go with that if I did think about it.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:16 PM

25,867 posts, read 20,810,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I'm starting to get irritated by Moffat.
I am beyond irritated. I think I've only actually enjoyed one episode since he took over and it was one he didn't write - "The Doctor's Wife."
It was sweet and felt geniune and the characters actually talked to each other rather than at each other which is what I feel happens in every single Moffat episode.
And, don't even get me started on how he's abused Amy for absolutely no good reason that I can fathom.
The only redeeming grace for me now is Rory and his arc.

And what is with the silly "best of" shows the past couple of weeks?
"Best of"? When all they do is show clips from the Moffat era? Seriously?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,576,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I am beyond irritated. I think I've only actually enjoyed one episode since he took over and it was one he didn't write - "The Doctor's Wife."
It was sweet and felt geniune and the characters actually talked to each other rather than at each other which is what I feel happens in every single Moffat episode.
And, don't even get me started on how he's abused Amy for absolutely no good reason that I can fathom.
Quote:
Quote:
With the over-complication of the plots and subplots and the blatant sexism and all the things of that nature. Rant and spoilers under the cut.
Still haven't gotten the last episode on On Demand. But I get what you are saying about Moffat's writing. I do not always understand the writing and the plots, subplots, and non-plots. I would rather see a good storyline than episodes that jump around so much I get dizzy.

I see them touting Moffat as a great writer but I think they have had better.

I like all the characters though, from the companions to the villians.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,267,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

That is incredibly irritating.

The thing with Moffat is you wind up having to rewatch everything a bunch of times to figure it out.

The way he's turning out is kind of disappointing to me considering that Blink is probably my favorite episode of the new series. Why couldn't he stay on that track?

Old 08-29-2011, 07:11 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,087,739 times
I'm a huge Doctor Who fan but I'm getting pretty sick of Moffat's writing too. how many times are they gonna "kill" Rory and then bring him back? Hopefully they'll leave him alone now.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,835,795 times
I was all excited for a nice broad multi-episode storyline instead of the old way with every episode basically being it's own story with a thin theme tying them all together, but right now... with the Silence and the Doctor's time running out and River Song/Melody Pond and we still don't know what actually blew up the TARDIS and everything... UGH.

Not to mention, why is the Doctor traveling alone so much? It seems like Amy and Rory travel with him for a couple of weeks, maybe a month, and then he goes off on his own for half a year and once again they have to wait for him.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 PM

29,807 posts, read 34,675,627 times
And, too, Rory and Amy don't seem to be particularly devastated that their baby was stolen from them. Even though they know who she is and there's all kinds of timey wimey stuff going on, you'd think there'd be more of a blow that they know her as grown, but didn't raise her.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,267,420 times
I'm actually still confused as to when Amy "disappeared" and wasn't really in the TARDIS, but laying in the random room pregnant. Anyone?

Old 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM

29,807 posts, read 34,675,627 times
In the last episode before the break, the Doctor said something like she'd been switched before they went to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV