Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 AM

703 posts, read 2,950,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Poor performance from Pop Lyfe last night! They aren't good enough yet for a major stage act, only for fairs and birthday parties......I'm a former classic rocker, I know!
Landau.......what can I say, he IS terrific, BUT he wouldn't draw in the younger generation crowd (20's-30's-early 40's).
Now, Team Illuminite would draw most-to-all age brackets in as a major stage show.
The Silhouettes, there a good act, but not necessarily a major stage act.
Landau and Illuminite I think have the best chances of winning it all.
Looks like Terry Fator has a new puppet! We have his Vegas show on dvd........love, love, love Peanut!
Fully agree with you on PopLyfe, did not like that group at all. Landau was great and I can definitely see him as a Vegas act, the other two, not so much. I do not see I-Luminate as a 1hr show simply because I can't see most people wanting to pay and sit in the complete dark for that long. I know I wouldn't.

By the way, I think Peanut is a muppet from Jeff Dunham's show not Terry Fator's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,880,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofan View Post
Fully agree with you on PopLyfe, did not like that group at all. Landau was great and I can definitely see him as a Vegas act, the other two, not so much. I do not see I-Luminate as a 1hr show simply because I can't see most people wanting to pay and sit in the complete dark for that long. I know I wouldn't.
Absolutely agree with this. PopLyfe bombed last night, and while I enjoy iLuminate, I think an hour-long show would be repetitious (not to mention that I'd fall asleep ).

I wonder if the "technical difficulties" will hurt Silhouettes' chances -- I guess they did their entire performance, but there wasn't much "face time" afterwards.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out .....

Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,130,053 times
the Silhouettes will be hurt by those technical difficulties. I dvr'd it and the ending got cut off. I just watched the act on youtube

awful timing for that to happen

Iluminate is my vote to win, I like the Silhouettes just as much. Landau is a terrific singer but his songs won't appeal to a big enough audience.

It's been a fun show this year, but i couldn't help thinking watching Terry Fader last night, if he were in this years competition he would have one easily

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 AM

563 posts, read 1,502,496 times
Just finished watching on Hulu.

Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to Silhouettes (haven't given them much attention all season, and don't like them) but what was the technical difficulty?

I love Pop Lyfe and I'm sure they'll go somewhere, but their performance last night wasn't as good as their last two performances, for sure. And regardless of that -
I decided last week (or maybe the week before, I don't remember) that Team iLuminate should win. It may not seem all that impressive on TV, and I didn't give them a lot of attention either until a couple weeks ago, and I realized that it has to be so much different to see them in person. The last three performances by them were fairly impressive and last nights certainly was their best yet. They deserve to win because out of all the acts, that's the one that makes me think "I'd like to see how good that is in person because it much be so much more impressive that way".
Landau, he is definitely very very good and impressive, however, after the third sinatra song I was sick of listening to it.

I've seen Terry Fader live, and while the guy is extremely impressive, after watching all his youtube videos, it wasn't exactly "wow" anymore. I love the guy, but that's sort of a tough stage act if the venue is too big, imho.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,880,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to Silhouettes (haven't given them much attention all season, and don't like them) but what was the technical difficulty?
I don't think it was explained, but their act started with just a few minutes left in the show. (This was on the East Coast, where the show aired live -- it might have been edited for later airings?)

NBC did let the show run long so that the entire act was shown but, as I mentioned upthread, there wasn't a lot of camera time on the performers afterwards -- when they all stand there and beg people to vote for them while spelling out the numbers for everyone.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:27 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,569,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
the Silhouettes will be hurt by those technical difficulties. I dvr'd it and the ending got cut off. I just watched the act on youtube

awful timing for that to happen

Iluminate is my vote to win, I like the Silhouettes just as much. Landau is a terrific singer but his songs won't appeal to a big enough audience.

It's been a fun show this year, but i couldn't help thinking watching Terry Fader last night, if he were in this years competition he would have one easily
I was puzzled by your comment that the ending got cut off for Silhouettes because it was there when I saw it. Then it dawned on me that on the West Coast the show comes on later than back East so I guess we got to see the full show. That will help the act with the voting.

My vote is for Landau.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,014,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I think he will be able to compete with Michael Buble. Harry Connick Jr. hasn't really been at the forefront for awhile, he's popular enough but not like Michael Buble.
Entirely different. Connick has appeared in movies, TV shows, and he's a musician/composer. He's been performing since he was a child growing up in New Orleans.

However, I have to admit that Landau did a fine job last night and could possibly win. They were all very good, except for PopLyfe. I also didn't like them last week when they performed the Jackson medley. She can sing well, but the young men are usually way off key. Team iLuminate is great, but as I said in an earlier post, it's difficult to appreciate their act on a small screen. Fighting Gravity (a similar act) was great and didn't win first place last year. People like to hear sad stories or the "chicken catcher" wouldn't have had a chance. (think that was in 2009)

Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,014,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyLynn812 View Post
Just finished watching on Hulu.

I've seen Terry Fader live, and while the guy is extremely impressive, after watching all his youtube videos, it wasn't exactly "wow" anymore. I love the guy, but that's sort of a tough stage act if the venue is too big, imho.
I've never seen him live, but he has an amazing talent that must have taken a lifetime to perfect. When he performed last night, his puppet was singing as well as most humans! I usually don't like ventriloquists because, after a while, they're boring. I grew up watching Shari Lewis and Lambchop, which was a cute act, but Terry Fater can do over 100 impressions and, although I've only seen a handful on TV, they're all unique. I just don't know how he does it and it's fascinating to me.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:33 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,034,126 times
I was wondering what went down with the silhouettes. Half way through their act the camera went black (or maybe it was my screen) for a good 10-20 seconds. The music kept playing. Just could not see anything. Maybe it was a glitch in the signal (comcast) ..IDK.

I still think team illuminate will win
I thought it ran over by 4-5 minutes. (Unless my clocks are fast). They did not get much face time at the end. Unless I missed something.

Last edited by Jermaine88; 09-14-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 02:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,569,652 times
I like PopLyfe for this reason. Most kid bands and solo singers sing their own insipid songs that sound like all the other kid bands' and solo singers' insipid songs.

PopLyfe is different in that they take chances on singing songs from the classics like the Jacksons and Queen. Unfortunately, since people have these songs so ingrained in their minds from the originals, it's a tough thing to do. But I give them credit for trying.

Queen was just too much for the girl singer. No one can do Queen but Queen in my opinion and the kids did a bad job trying. The boys do not sing well at all and should stick to playing their instruments.

This is a good act that needs a lot of development. They are young and could have far to go. I hope if they don't win, and I doubt they will, they will keep trying to better themselves.

Landau is mature and talented enough to take a classic song sung by a classic singer and make it his own without losing the original flavor. He truly deserves to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV