Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times

Advertisements

Up until recently, I recall that McHale's Navy reruns did include the word, "nips." They may have edited since I last watched it. The same for "krauts" on Hogan's Heroes.

Larry Tate and his pink elephants. Larry and Darren would always order a dry martini. There was also that character actor, I can't remember his name. He made a career of playing drunks at bars on 1960s sitcoms. They would be drunk on Bewitched and then drive home. They never killed anyone on TV.

Do they bleep out the word Honky on the Jeffersons?

There could never be a Hop Sing on TV today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper_60619 View Post
I want to know would many of the television shows and movies from the 1960s be censored in today's society. I have been watching a Bewitched episode of which a lady dressed as a Playboy Bunny appeared in a birthday party, and some of the beach party movies such as Muscle Beach Party (1964) and Pajama Party (1964) on television and online.

Well, i was watching Roots this weekend, and they had a disclaimer about the movie having nudity and offensive language. But when we watched it in the 1970's there was no disclaimer. We were strong enough to handle it. And both whites and black said the N word - the whole word, not the euphemism for it.

Archie Bunker said the N word (the whole word) on one episode of All in the Family. I heard the N word a few more times.

the other silly thing about movies is the way they portrayed women - when women saw something scarey (a monster or a bad man), she either screamed or fainted or let the man save her. .Now its totally opposite - from Sigourney Weaver in Aliens killing the alien, and being the only person left alive, to the movies now where the woman is the hero, like I've seen in some movies where she beats the bad guy.

you'd never see a woman in a movie now cowering and screaming and fainting like in the 1950's movies!

Old 02-15-2019, 05:37 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,534,326 times
Around the mid 2000s TVLand had All in the Family on at 6 and 630 every weeknight, I watched daily for a few months to see again the whole show - I had watched many of them in prime time and on reruns into the 1980s. I don't think they cut out any of Archies colorful slang.

The recent controversy about blackface in the news, reminded me of this: On SNL in the early 80s, Eddie Murphy was in whiteface, in a very funny skit. No controversy at all, ever, then or now.

Also in the 80s, a movie called Soul Man, in this movie a white kid remakes himself as black to get into a prestigious college - writing this it sounds terrible in these days, but it was a real movie, I remember going to see it on a date.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,263,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post

The recent controversy about blackface in the news, reminded me of this: On SNL in the early 80s, Eddie Murphy was in whiteface, in a very funny skit. No controversy at all, ever, then or now.

Also in the 80s, a movie called Soul Man, in this movie a white kid remakes himself as black to get into a prestigious college - writing this it sounds terrible in these days, but it was a real movie, I remember going to see it on a date.

How about Godfrey Cambridge in "Watermelon Man"?

Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
I'm confused at the references to the "n" word in this thread (and "the whole word").

It seems like people are saying "negro" is now the "n" word, and I was not aware of that.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:14 PM

776 posts, read 395,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
One of the most time-enduring animated series The Flintstones was actually sponsored by RJ Reynolds Tobacco for much of its original run. There were even promos of Fred and Barney plugging Winstons during commercial bumpers. Those were definitely removed by the time I was watching reruns of The Flintstones on TBS during the early mornings in the mid 80s as tobacco advertising was banned by the FCC over a decade prior.
The Flinstones wasn't intended for kids during its original run.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:31 PM

384 posts, read 273,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
The Flinstones wasn't intended for kids during its original run.

I never knew this. My parents (both of whom were born in '56) watched the Flintstones as children during their original prime time run on ABC. Their liking for the show is probably why I watched reruns as a kid during the mid 80s. Back then, it seemed like at least two television stations in most markets aired the series along with superstation WTBS (who IIRC aired the Flintstones weekday mornings at 7:35am right before Gilligan's Island).

Old 02-15-2019, 10:41 PM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I'm confused at the references to the "n" word in this thread (and "the whole word").

It seems like people are saying "negro" is now the "n" word, and I was not aware of that.
Archie Bunker used the actual N word on occasion on All In The Family for dramatic effect, saying negro would not be taken as an insult when the show was in production . Negro was the preferred term until the late 60's when Afro-American and Black went into a fight much like the African American versus Black fight of the next generation and going forward.

Today to use negro or colored is normally looked at as someone trying to slyly insult you

Old 02-16-2019, 07:09 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

I have to say "the N word" because to say the whole word is raycist. so i dont know any better way to say what i have to say.

its ok to say negro, but not ni....

Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
I never knew this. My parents (both of whom were born in '56) watched the Flintstones as children during their original prime time run on ABC. Their liking for the show is probably why I watched reruns as a kid during the mid 80s. Back then, it seemed like at least two television stations in most markets aired the series along with superstation WTBS (who IIRC aired the Flintstones weekday mornings at 7:35am right before Gilligan's Island).
The Flinstones was kind of like The Simpsons, a cartoon originally geared for adults but it also caught on with kids during its initial run. It originally aired in the early evening. Children's cartoon aired on Saturday morning and during weekdays. The Flinstones is overtly a cartoon version of The Honey Mooners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV