Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:47 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,587,094 times

Advertisements

Has anyone watched this yet? It stars Dax Shepard and Lake Bell? It premiered April 16th at 9:30/8:30 on ABC. I wasn't won over by the first episode and haven't watched the 2nd one yet, but it seems contrived. I like Dax Shepard, but Lake Bell doesn't do it as the wife /city girl. It's like a modern Green Acres.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 04:00 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,021,093 times
I watched them both. I wasn't riveted to the screen, but I really love Dax Shepard so I'll keep watching!

Old 04-29-2019, 04:49 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,263,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I watched them both. I wasn't riveted to the screen, but I really love Dax Shepard so I'll keep watching!
I agree. The show is just OK, but I do love Dax Shephard and I'll keep watching too.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:07 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,187,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
Has anyone watched this yet? It stars Dax Shepard and Lake Bell? It premiered April 16th at 9:30/8:30 on ABC. I wasn't won over by the first episode and haven't watched the 2nd one yet, but it seems contrived. I like Dax Shepard, but Lake Bell doesn't do it as the wife /city girl. It's like a modern Green Acres.
Exactly my initial take on it.
And, yeah, Lake Bell seems woefully miscast in this. She's better at playing airhead *******.
Another Bell would have worked better in the role; namely, Shepard's wife, Kristen.
They should adopt a pig as well.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:03 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,743,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Exactly my initial take on it.
And, yeah, Lake Bell seems woefully miscast in this. She's better at playing airhead *******.
Another Bell would have worked better in the role; namely, Shepard's wife, Kristen.
They should adopt a pig as well.
Ironically she created and executive produces the show

Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,359,073 times
I've watched and it's ok. I like the original Green Acres better, always. I'll watch more but I think only because I watch Black-ish and it is on right after.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,615,459 times
I've watched the first two episodes & I'm done. Her annoying mother on the phone just bugs me.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:58 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,251,305 times
Just too dumb for me. The entire premise just irritated me, and I like the leads, enough to really want to like it (and try it).

So they inherit a rural property, and give up their jobs and entire life in the city to move to it, without having ever seen it once. It didn't take a brain surgeon to predict it was going to be a ramshackle money trap, falling apart. Yep.

And the cliches just kept getting worse from that point.

If you want to attract viewers, come up with a more innovative reason for them to move to the country. This trope is worn out.

I killed the Season Pass after the first episode.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:58 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,743,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Just too dumb for me. The entire premise just irritated me, and I like the leads, enough to really want to like it (and try it).

So they inherit a rural property, and give up their jobs and entire life in the city to move to it, without having ever seen it once. It didn't take a brain surgeon to predict it was going to be a ramshackle money trap, falling apart. Yep.

And the cliches just kept getting worse from that point.

If you want to attract viewers, come up with a more innovative reason for them to move to the country. This trope is worn out.

I killed the Season Pass after the first episode.
To be fair, it wasnt quite that simple. He was laid off and made it out to her like they were inheriting a very nice ranch. He basically conned his wife into moving

That might not change much but it wasnt written like "green acres is the place to be"

Old 04-30-2019, 05:08 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,628,194 times
As a resident of the region this show stereotypes, I watched the first episode with trepidation. I do like the actors, but man, this show is very tone deaf in this time of sad divisions between the various parts of our nation.

1) Why do some characters have Southern accents? Couldn't the actors have at least tried to do a Nebraska accent (which is essentially standard American unaccented english)? Or does a southern accent somehow indicate "rural" to the nationwide audience? Gah, this is really irritating.

2) Why on earth was a lone milk cow wandering loose on an abandoned farm? Are urban people under some weird impression that every farm has pretty dairy cows out in a pasture, and that the individual cows would wander over to a neighbor's house like a dog or cat? I suppose it could happen, but it is spectacularly unlikely.

3) No farm people would ever use the term "dead" to describe soil. They would say the soil is alkaline, or that it has degraded, or that it is in desperate need of specific minerals or that it needs amendments. No one would say "dead", because that is inaccurate.

And etc.

I think Bell was trying to show how clueless urban people can be in a rural environment. She's correct, but she should have tried harder to get the rural environment right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV