U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:40 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,245,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Also, how many shows clearly represent how many blacks actually live. Most stuff on TV about blacks always pants blacks as poor and ignorant.
Just a few off the top of my head...
Fresh Prince of Bel Air - wealthy
Family Matters - middle class
Living Single - middle class
The Game - wealthy
The Jeffersons - wealthy
Everybody Hate Chris - middle class
Rate this post positively

Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,308,667 times
Quote:
Thats because the Cosby show was about a middle class black family. They had white friends if my memory is correct.

Also, how many shows clearly represent how many blacks actually live. Most stuff on TV about blacks always pants blacks as poor and ignorant.
Ya, there's hardly any postive black shows. Here's a sampling.

Julia - educated nurse
Benson - butler who gets involved in politics and runs for governor
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids - a bunch of idiots but not ignorant
Good Times - Hardworking family man who educates himself to get a GED
The Bill Cosby Show - PE teacher who is a postive role model
What's Happening!! - Hardworking & intelligent characters
A Different World - students
Amen - religious role models
He's the Mayor - black guy who gets elected as mayor
The New Odd Couple - middle class
Arsenio - sportscaster and shows features a black Harvard grad
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - postive role model educator
Living Single - yuppies
Roc - blue collar family man
Sister, Sister - middle class family, not ignorant
Smart Guy - genius kid

Black sitcom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,716,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Why is the cast ALL white? It looks like a flash back to 1964. Do the makers of the show not realize that we live in a multi-ethnic country now?
Would some people choose not to watch it if it had some diversity? In the real world, different races are attracted to each other. It wouldn't exactly be a stretch to picture that on a TV show.

seriously...

That's why they have different channels, so you can CHOOSE what to watch. No one is forcing you to watch that show!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:41 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,436,259 times
Quote:
Why is the cast ALL white? It looks like a flash back to 1964. Do the makers of the show not realize that we live in a multi-ethnic country now?
Would some people choose not to watch it if it had some diversity? In the real world, different races are attracted to each other. It wouldn't exactly be a stretch to picture that on a TV show.
Sorry for not noticing
As an American I just turn the channel and for some reason if I enjoy a program I continue to watch it
I'm not too concerned about making it the "where's Waldo" of races, colors, genders,creeds, or religions.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM

5,763 posts, read 10,540,574 times
Quote:

You do realize that this show is a spin-off and it shows contestants from another show where they have been 99% white. It is what it is, if you dont like it you can watch something else but these shows get damn good ratings so it really is not an issue.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 56,150,580 times
Quote:
Thats because the Cosby show was about a middle class black family. They had white friends if my memory is correct.

Like Basketball Wives?-lol

Old 08-24-2011, 05:09 PM
FBJ

Quote:

Like Basketball Wives?-lol

Old 08-24-2011, 05:14 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Ya, there's hardly any postive black shows. Here's a sampling.

Julia - educated nurse
Benson - butler who gets involved in politics and runs for governor
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids - a bunch of idiots but not ignorant
Good Times - Hardworking family man who educates himself to get a GED
The Bill Cosby Show - PE teacher who is a postive role model
What's Happening!! - Hardworking & intelligent characters
A Different World - students
Amen - religious role models
He's the Mayor - black guy who gets elected as mayor
The New Odd Couple - middle class
Arsenio - sportscaster and shows features a black Harvard grad
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - postive role model educator
Living Single - yuppies
Roc - blue collar family man
Sister, Sister - middle class family, not ignorant
Smart Guy - genius kid

Black sitcom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please take Good Times and What's Happening off that list

Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM

18,256 posts, read 21,504,707 times
Quote:
I am actually glad that there isn't more "diversity" on The Bachelor/Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad. They chose the contestants for The Bachelor/Bachelorette based on the person's stated preference. So I am glad that they don't add in the obligatory Black, Hispanic, Asian just for the heck of it. Also, I can just see the backlash if ABC would cast a White Bachelor who had a strong preference for Asian women or Black women, etc. Or better yet, a White Bachelorette who has an expressed preference for Hispanic men or Black men. America and primetime network tv is not ready for those "real life" scenarios.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM

8,520 posts, read 15,437,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am actually glad that there isn't more "diversity" on The Bachelor/Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad. They chose the contestants for The Bachelor/Bachelorette based on the person's stated preference. So I am glad that they don't add in the obligatory Black, Hispanic, Asian just for the heck of it. Also, I can just see the backlash if ABC would cast a White Bachelor who had a strong preference for Asian women or Black women, etc. Or better yet, a White Bachelorette who has an expressed preference for Hispanic men or Black men. America and primetime network tv is not ready for those "real life" scenarios.
That's a very good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.