Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times

Advertisements

Why is the cast ALL white? It looks like a flash back to 1964. Do the makers of the show not realize that we live in a multi-ethnic country now?
Would some people choose not to watch it if it had some diversity? In the real world, different races are attracted to each other. It wouldn't exactly be a stretch to picture that on a TV show.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM

348 posts, read 849,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Why is the cast ALL white? It looks like a flash back to 1964. Do the makers of the show not realize that we live in a multi-ethnic country now?
Would some people choose not to watch it if it had some diversity? In the real world, different races are attracted to each other. It wouldn't exactly be a stretch to picture that on a TV show.
I don't watch TV shows with a racial quota checklist in hand. And back in the day when I watched Cosby, I wasn't asking myself why there weren't whites.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,376,539 times
My guess?

They seem to cast different ethnicities on The Bachelor and The Bachelorette - but if those cast members are sent home early in the run, then there's not much of a chance for them to make a lasting impression on viewers.

Bachelor Pad is then cast with the favorite and most notorious cast members from past seasons of The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. They don't cast the guy who got sent home in episode one - they cast the guy who everyone talked about on the message boards, and who went home nearer to the end, and who most viewers still remember. There are exceptions of course - Bentley went home really early but he made such a HUGE impression, I'm sure the producers would love to cast him on Bachelor Pad!

Bottom line, if a cast member doesn't make a big impression on the Bachelor, then they're not going to get a second chance on Bachelor Pad - no matter what their ethnicity.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsox1972 View Post
I don't watch TV shows with a racial quota checklist in hand. And back in the day when I watched Cosby, I wasn't asking myself why there weren't whites.
Interesting that you had to back 25 years ago to think of a program that supposedly excluded white folk.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Interesting that you had to back 25 years ago to think of a program that supposedly excluded white folk.
Here is a more recent show, currently airing: Girlfriends.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette cast based on the Bachelor/Bachelorette's tastes. The Bachelor/Bachelorette for the most part is a former contestant. If you find the show racist, then boycott it. Obviously, people aren't as the ratings are doing fairly good.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:40 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Quote:
Thats because the Cosby show was about a middle class black family. They had white friends if my memory is correct.

Also, how many shows clearly represent how many blacks actually live. Most stuff on TV about blacks always pants blacks as poor and ignorant.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,045 times
No. The contestants are all white because the contestants on the Bachelor/Bachelorette are all white.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Agreed. Seems to me if people keep a checklist, then they aren't infusing color as much as they would like to think they are. I watch shows and never notice. Either I like the show or I don't. I don't count the color of faces.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:03 AM

348 posts, read 849,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Agreed. Seems to me if people keep a checklist, then they aren't infusing color as much as they would like to think they are. I watch shows and never notice. Either I like the show or I don't. I don't count the color of faces.
Right. I think we've really lost it as a society if we feel the need to apply racial quotas to everything, including freaking TV shows. And if those quotas aren't used, one is subjected to being deemed racist.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Why are there more white people on TV than other races? Gee, maybe it is because white people make up 72% of the population in the US while blacks make up 12%. Just my guess, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV