U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM

24,849 posts, read 34,099,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have only seen one or two shows when Jon was on it but I have to say I feel sorry for Kate. She may come off as abrasive and not very lovable but she is doing what she has to do to take care of all those kids. What would any of us do in her position? I don't think she could ever depend much upon her husband to provide.

To me, her loss of income from the show is the worst part of the whole deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
wish i could rep you cause i don't think kate can manage without outside help so those kids are in for a rough ride
Kate made her bed. It is too bad the kids have to lay in it. I feel bad for them, not her. There are families all over the country with lots of kids, many without a second parent, and none of them ever had a reality show. I wonder if Kate will learn to go without her tanning, her manicures, her hair extensions, etc. When they made the choice to have 8 kids, neither Jon nor Kate ever knew they'd have a lucrative reality show. They were lucky to have had the opportunity to make all that money. I hope they/she realized it wasn't going to last forever, and planned their finances accordingly.

ETA - I only feel bad for the kids that they have been living the high life for as long as they can remember, and that may change; and that they have to compete with 7 sibs for attention from one parent at a time. Other than that, they live better than 99% of the country, so what's to pity?

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 08-24-2011 at 02:44 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 08-24-2011, 02:38 PM

348 posts, read 813,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Maybe Jon wasnt the perfect husband but she treated him like a child and I dont ever recall seeing her be nice to him. I was amazed that he was able to stand her for as long as he did. She's such a mean person outside that she must be so miserable inside. I pray for her children that they can all get the therapy they're obviously going to need after being raised by her.
There were times when Kate WAS nice to Jon as shown on the episodes. The demise of the relationship wasn't due to just one person. And I have a feeling Kate has always been controlling and a perfectionist, while Jon has probably always been disorganized and irresponsible. I think sextuplets probably drove their personality and parenting differences to the forefront earlier than it might have if they just had the two older girls.

Kate seems to have a difficult time maintaining adult relationships. Perhaps it's due to ADHD or whatever it is that drives her to be an ultra perfectionist. While I don't like how the kids have been sujected to tabloid photographers hiding in the bushes, I don't think she's a horrible parent. She has kept those kids safe, feeds them very healty food (it looks as though she has always strived to be healthy), and teaches them manners. Jon has been seen for quite some time with numerous women, some quite young, partying, smoking, etc. Kate may be neurotic, but, I think she's a smart neurotic.

I don't like how her persona has changed over the years. They seemed to be a nice average couple with a unique situation, before all the money came in. Now she's always dressed to the hilt, uber-tan, with a boob-job by the looks of it, living in a multi million dollar house that is probably paid in full. However, I don't think everything is her fault. Jon seems to be a teenager trapped in a thirtysomething's body, which I'm sure was not always easy to deal with when trying to raise eight young kids.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:56 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,690,583 times
It also has to be taken into account that we see what the cameras want us to see. As I said, I only saw the show a couple of times but I do know that drama in these types of shows is highly encouraged and when not there, manufactured.

Case in point. I know a guy who worked on the crew of "Little People Big World" for a special. He said that things would be perfectly normally going along when the camera crew and the director would tell them to "act up." It was part of the show. The part they feel the audience wants to see.

And so we tend to judge the participants without really knowing them. I don't know Kate. She may be a total byatch or really a nice lady but I would never want to judge someone by their TV behaviour

And in the end, it all comes back to the kids. However she acts or feels she has to act, she does need to take care of them which means earning enough money to support them. Oh and regarding her manicures, and plastic surgery and whatever. All she has to do is endorse these procedures and I doubt she ever gets a bill. If that's what she wants to do, so what?

The point is, it isn't very accurate to judge people by their TV personna. I don't know her so I can't really say what kind of a person she is. I think time will tell when her kids get old enough to write a book about their childhood. Then we may be able to see the real Kate.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:00 PM

24,849 posts, read 34,099,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It also has to be taken into account that we see what the cameras want us to see. As I said, I only saw the show a couple of times but I do know that drama in these types of shows is highly encouraged and when not there, manufactured.

Case in point. I know a guy who worked on the crew of "Little People Big World" for a special. He said that things would be perfectly normally going along when the camera crew and the director would tell them to "act up." It was part of the show. The part they feel the audience wants to see.

And so we tend to judge the participants without really knowing them. I don't know Kate. She may be a total byatch or really a nice lady but I would never want to judge someone by their TV behaviour

And in the end, it all comes back to the kids. However she acts or feels she has to act, she does need to take care of them which means earning enough money to support them. Oh and regarding her manicures, and plastic surgery and whatever. All she has to do is endorse these procedures and I doubt she ever gets a bill. If that's what she wants to do, so what?

The point is, it isn't very accurate to judge people by their TV personna. I don't know her so I can't really say what kind of a person she is. I think time will tell when her kids get old enough to write a book about their childhood. Then we may be able to see the real Kate.
I 100% agree that we don't know the "real" Kate, and that "reality" shows are not always such. But w/o the show, she won't have the same opportunities for endorsements. Whatever freebees the show was bringing in will be gone, as well as the money from the show. I don't like when people act like she HAS to do some kind of big-money reality show to support 8 kids. She doesn't HAVE to. Lots of people don't. They don't HAVE to live on 26 acres and in a huge house. She doesn't HAVE to tan. They don't HAVE to have all brand new matching clothes. She doesn't HAVE to have all 8 in private school. I'd love to see a side by side comparison of the way the Gosslins live vs the way some unknown family with sextuplets lives.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:19 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,750,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I 100% agree that we don't know the "real" Kate, and that "reality" shows are not always such. But w/o the show, she won't have the same opportunities for endorsements. Whatever freebees the show was bringing in will be gone, as well as the money from the show. I don't like when people act like she HAS to do some kind of big-money reality show to support 8 kids. She doesn't HAVE to. Lots of people don't. They don't HAVE to live on 26 acres and in a huge house. She doesn't HAVE to tan. They don't HAVE to have all brand new matching clothes. She doesn't HAVE to have all 8 in private school. I'd love to see a side by side comparison of the way the Gosslins live vs the way some unknown family with sextuplets lives.
no one thinks she has to have all those things but what those kids and their mother need are extra pairs of hands and emotional support---something one parent cannot do alone--as to their father--it may be years or it may be never when he will be there emotionally for them or financially---there is so much anger directed towards this woman from people who wanted her lifestyle and did not get it---how bout acknowledging that everything she had was material but not emotionally supported or having some concern for those kids that are already showing emotional issues(they would have had them even without media exposure)

Old 08-24-2011, 05:21 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,675,027 times
Nope...thats the real Kate. My friend's cousin lived right next door to her before they moved into the manse and said she was horrible even before the show started and just got progressively worse as the years went on. She said Jon was always polite and she felt bad for him as Kate was always yelling at him and the kids. She was so happy when they moved. Haha!

Isn't it obvious what type of person she really is by all of the people she pushed out of her life including her own fammily because she wanted them to act her way and do what she wanted them to do. She is a control freak and only cares for herself. She uses those kids to make money. And just because she feeds them well and they go to private school doesn't make her a good mom. She is rarely with them and when she is she just seems annoyed by them.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

21,697 posts, read 26,690,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
Nope...thats the real Kate. My friend's cousin lived right next door to her before they moved into the manse and said she was horrible even before the show started and just got progressively worse as the years went on. She said Jon was always polite and she felt bad for him as Kate was always yelling at him and the kids. She was so happy when they moved. Haha!

Isn't it obvious what type of person she really is by all of the people she pushed out of her life including her own fammily because she wanted them to act her way and do what she wanted them to do. She is a control freak and only cares for herself. She uses those kids to make money. And just because she feeds them well and they go to private school doesn't make her a good mom. She is rarely with them and when she is she just seems annoyed by them.
This to me would be more of a valid opinion since it is from one who knows her. It's an opinion nevertheless but it has more credibility for me than just watching her behavior on TV.

However, I still believe that the real truth will come to light when those kids are old enough to tell their side of the story.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:26 PM

4,526 posts, read 5,750,105 times
Quote:

how sad for the kids----and even more reasons why the emotional support won't be there---as to jon--he may have been a nice neighbor(my ex was too)--but my guess is he stinks as a mature parent

Old 08-24-2011, 05:29 PM

12,478 posts, read 16,817,539 times
Quote:

I doubt her behavior on DWTS was manufactured. She showed her true colors. She's a diva biotch

Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM

33,949 posts, read 20,880,499 times
Quote:

I would probably believe this to be true as well.

Good, bad, or indifferent - she is a very controlled and controlling person and that comes shining through all her shows; her interviews, etc.

I hope she is able to keep it together - without all the constant media attention - for the sake of her kids. I don't envy her at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV