U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 PM

13,690 posts, read 17,166,604 times

Advertisements

This show looks like drama!

A&E Network Presents "Monster In-Laws" - A&E News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 AM

24,475 posts, read 22,263,396 times
Sounds like a very volitile series! The first show sounds like people who have been on Kitchen Nightmares before.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 AM

15,607 posts, read 38,943,442 times
Love this show! I can't believe there are people out there who are SO daft that they have no clue they are destroying their child's marriage. So far I think I've seen 4 episodes (I DVR them). Last night was the episode with the vegetarian lady with two kids who is not married to the kid's father, but lives with him. His mother comes over all the time and cooks and/or eats meat in their house. The other one was the mother on a fixed income who lives with her overweight son-in-law and her daughter and constantly rides that poor guy's ass about his weight, eating, etc. Like Hoarders, I find myself asking "where do they find these people?"

Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 AM

13,856 posts, read 24,901,019 times
There's 300 million or so people in America so bound to be plenty of crazies. It might be surprising such people would be willing to be filmed, but a fair amount of people want attention.

(Granted in the case of genuinely mentally ill ones I suppose there could be ethical concerns about whether they're competent to really make the choice to be an object of attention.)

Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 AM
Status: "I love freedom of speech, shows who the idiots are." (set 14 days ago)

1,668 posts, read 2,427,598 times
I've seen a few episodes, including the ones you mention TT. I think as far as "where do they find these people", we could probably all look around our town and come up with families that have some sort of idiosyncrasy that would be considered as "out of the norm" for us. Then all we have to do is bring it to TLC's attention and what do you know- they've made a TV show about it!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 AM

9,507 posts, read 10,161,001 times
I've watched a few - The shows aren't that great. Let's fix their issues in a few hours. Similar to Super Nanny....

Old 11-11-2011, 08:40 AM

13,856 posts, read 24,901,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
I've seen a few episodes, including the ones you mention TT. I think as far as "where do they find these people", we could probably all look around our town and come up with families that have some sort of idiosyncrasy that would be considered as "out of the norm" for us. Then all we have to do is bring it to TLC's attention and what do you know- they've made a TV show about it!
Yup.

I think the "why would they want a show?" element is maybe more interesting. I'm 42 inches tall and I have five siblings. My priest is like this remarkably tall war veteran. My previous priest was from that "long-necked" tribe in Burma. I went to school with a kid who was younger than his own niece. And I think my Mom knew a woman, in Arkansas, with over 20 children. None of these people wanted to be in a reality TV series, not even the poor ones, and neither would I.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 PM

15,607 posts, read 38,943,442 times
My first thought is "Why would you let this person move into your home in the first place?" and my second thought is "Why haven't you kicked this person out yet?" Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a lot of people lack even basic common sense. Then they have to hire a therapist and get on TV to get their problems "fixed"???

Maybe I'm the weirdo ... I like Hoarders, Intervention, Hell's Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, Beavis & Butthead ... and now this show! The common thread being dysfuntional people and lots of yelling and screaming.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:12 AM

44,255 posts, read 59,420,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
My first thought is "Why would you let this person move into your home in the first place?" and my second thought is "Why haven't you kicked this person out yet?" Maybe it's just me, but it seems that a lot of people lack even basic common sense. Then they have to hire a therapist and get on TV to get their problems "fixed"???
I am guessing the answer to that question is MONEY.

When people allow other people to come into their lives and boss them around or mistreat them, it's often because they're beholden to them and cannot bite the hand that feeds them.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:24 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,990,510 times
I have not seen it,and I don't plan on watching it seems like it is all scripted for TV to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV