Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 07:42 PM

29,525 posts, read 22,688,988 times

Advertisements

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN9cEL5pMNo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 06:10 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,331,805 times
I will never be able to comprehend how a person gets to be 600+ pounds. At some point, maybe when they get to 300 pounds, they don't realize they have a problem? I am 5'2" and at one point after having kids in my 30's and other life altering events I got up to 166 pounds. I was used to being slim so this ate away at my self esteem. Now 166 pounds may not sound like much but I am short and small boned. I was in a size 16 dress for my niece's wedding in 2008.

Three years ago my blood sugar was high and since diabetes runs in my family my doctor put me on Metformin and told me he wanted to see me lose 10 pounds by my next visit. The Metformin seemed to help me lose that first 10 pounds which was incentive enough for me to change my eating habits and start back to the gym. Now three years later I weigh 126 pounds, close to the what I weighed when I was 25 years old. I am wearing a size 6-8. It wasn't always easy and when you lose 40 pounds in your 60's it is hard to lose the loose and crepey skin despite weight lifting. However I feel so much better about myself. I just can't image how people who are 600 pounds must feel. It has got to feel like an insurmountable task.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,986,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I will never be able to comprehend how a person gets to be 600+ pounds. At some point, maybe when they get to 300 pounds, they don't realize they have a problem? I am 5'2" and at one point after having kids in my 30's and other life altering events I got up to 166 pounds. I was used to being slim so this ate away at my self esteem. Now 166 pounds may not sound like much but I am short and small boned. I was in a size 16 dress for my niece's wedding in 2008.

Three years ago my blood sugar was high and since diabetes runs in my family my doctor put me on Metformin and told me he wanted to see me lose 10 pounds by my next visit. The Metformin seemed to help me lose that first 10 pounds which was incentive enough for me to change my eating habits and start back to the gym. Now three years later I weigh 126 pounds, close to the what I weighed when I was 25 years old. I am wearing a size 6-8. It wasn't always easy and when you lose 40 pounds in your 60's it is hard to lose the loose and crepey skin despite weight lifting. However I feel so much better about myself. I just can't image how people who are 600 pounds must feel. It has got to feel like an insurmountable task.
Such an ignorant comment. This isn't about people who have gained a few pounds. These people have suffered severe emotional and traumatic losses in their lives. They have been abused and abandoned. Their weight gain occurred over a lifetime. They are in dysfunctional relationships now (kids and significant others who continue to feed them). They have been left and abused by their parents, have been sexually abused and even raped. They have been raised by drug addicts and alcoholics, put into foster homes, had kids at 13, the experiences are endless.

Their weight gain is only a result of their own addiction and not being able to deal with their pain. Yes, it's an addiction like drugs and alcohol. The problem with a food addiction is even if you try, you need food to live. You can't survive without it like alcohol, cigarettes or drugs. So how do you separate your food addiction (which resulted from trauma and pain) when you need food to live?

Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,050,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Such an ignorant comment. This isn't about people who have gained a few pounds. These people have suffered severe emotional and traumatic losses in their lives. They have been abused and abandoned. Their weight gain occurred over a lifetime. They are in dysfunctional relationships now (kids and significant others who continue to feed them). They have been left and abused by their parents, have been sexually abused and even raped. They have been raised by drug addicts and alcoholics, put into foster homes, had kids at 13, the experiences are endless.

Their weight gain is only a result of their own addiction and not being able to deal with their pain. Yes, it's an addiction like drugs and alcohol. The problem with a food addiction is even if you try, you need food to live. You can't survive without it like alcohol, cigarettes or drugs. So how do you separate your food addiction (which resulted from trauma and pain) when you need food to live?
It is true that food addiction seems to be caused by childhood trauma, but chiluvr’s point is still valid. An adult could decide to deal with the problem at 300#, instead of 600#+. Addicts who seek help and work at it overcome addictions every day.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It is true that food addiction seems to be caused by childhood trauma, but chiluvr’s point is still valid. An adult could decide to deal with the problem at 300#, instead of 600#+. Addicts who seek help and work at it overcome addictions every day.
Then you don't understand food addiction. Yes, adults can overcome addictions, but again, you can abstain from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. You can't abstain from food, so it's that much harder to overcome it. I've also noticed that the people on this show appear to come from low income backgrounds. Yet, another obstacle to try and get help.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Then you don't understand food addiction. Yes, adults can overcome addictions, but again, you can abstain from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. You can't abstain from food, so it's that much harder to overcome it. I've also noticed that the people on this show appear to come from low income backgrounds. Yet, another obstacle to try and get help.
Sorry, but I think that is BS. A person can decide to eat one piece of pizza, not 2 pizzas. A person can decide not to deep fry bacon. A fat person can eat any food, but not enough for 6 people.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:04 PM

29,525 posts, read 22,688,988 times
One of the better episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxhQ-Q0JC48

Old 04-28-2019, 05:35 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,603,323 times
Quote:
Thats the kind of victim mentality that will get you to 600 pounds. Yes you CAN abstain from foods that are harming you, if you had to, you would. If you feel ohhh poorr mee,, im a poor victim I CANT HELP IT, then you will continue to 600 or more.

You would do it if you had to. If you were locked in prison and only got soup and water to eat, you would have to stop eating. If you were too poor to afford all that fast food they eat, and if the enablers on the show stopped bringing them food, they are stuck in the bed, they WOULD lose the weight.

Old 04-28-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Thats the kind of victim mentality that will get you to 600 pounds. Yes you CAN abstain from foods that are harming you, if you had to, you would. If you feel ohhh poorr mee,, im a poor victim I CANT HELP IT, then you will continue to 600 or more.

You would do it if you had to. If you were locked in prison and only got soup and water to eat, you would have to stop eating. If you were too poor to afford all that fast food they eat, and if the enablers on the show stopped bringing them food, they are stuck in the bed, they WOULD lose the weight.
I already mentioned the enablers in my first post. These people are in dysfunctional relationships and the enablers are part of the issue. Edit to add: the last show I watched, the enabler boyfriend left his 600 lb woman because she was going to try and lose the weight. Obviously, he loved having an immobile girlfriend and was threatened by her becoming independent. There is nothing normal or simple about this.

They are NOT in prison so your example is totally irrelevant. With that mentality, why not just commit all of them and hold them prisoner until they lose the weight?

Last edited by tamitrail; 04-28-2019 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-29-2019, 06:47 AM

What puzzles me is, once in awhile, there’s a 600 pounder who’s family does not appear dysfunctional. I’m thinking of a young woman with red hair who worked as a costume designer. She had 2 parents, a seemingly normal home, and a disabled brother who she was devoted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV