Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:16 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times

Advertisements

Archie was a lovable old curmudgeon. Most people knew someone like Archie, my father was the perfect example. Needless to say my, father did not like Maude.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 03-25-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Bea Arthurs syndication of "Golden Girls" has done well. Personally, I didn't like the show "Maude".

"All in the Family" is iconic. Was a first in televisions humorus portrayal of a bigoted patriarch during the feminist movement when family dynamics were changing.

All in the Family Characters, Cast & Crew
I agree with you. Maude had Bea Arthur, but as far as I was concerned, the rest of the cast just wasn't up to par with the cast on All in the Family.

Last edited by katie45; 03-25-2012 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Something deeper, yes! Maude didn't deal with social issues of our day, then. AITF did! How can we forget some of these scenes and Archie was often right in some of his redneck simplicity.

For example, Archie on the democrats and then-President Jimmy Carter!

Archie Bunker on Democrats - YouTube

Also, it was such an honestly done TV show, not like we have now in the social engineering of Hollywood. AITF showed us both sides of the spectrum. How can we forget George Sanford the black racist that moved in next door, and was sooo much like Archie as they butted heads and then George "moved on up?!"

LOVED the show and dig the reruns.
You mean George Sanford of the spin off Sanford & Son? The one where he and his "big dummy" son ran a dry cleaners? And they had that wacky English neighbor? Mr. Belvedere, I believe was his name.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:09 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Archie was a lovable old curmudgeon. Most people knew someone like Archie, my father was the perfect example. Needless to say my, father did not like Maude.
So it could be that not many people knew someone like maude like they did with Archie?

Old 03-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Something deeper, yes! Maude didn't deal with social issues of our day, then. AITF did! How can we forget some of these scenes and Archie was often right in some of his redneck simplicity.

For example, Archie on the democrats and then-President Jimmy Carter!

Archie Bunker on Democrats - YouTube

Also, it was such an honestly done TV show, not like we have now in the social engineering of Hollywood. AITF showed us both sides of the spectrum. How can we forget George Sanford the black racist that moved in next door, and was sooo much like Archie as they butted heads and then George "moved on up?!"

LOVED the show and dig the reruns.

The character was GEORGE JEFFERSON and I'm afraid you are no longer qualified to discuss this topic because the fact that you didn't know the name of the Bunkers next door neighbor confirmed that you were not a fan of All in the Family.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So it could be that not many people knew someone like maude like they did with Archie?
Right. Archie reminded me of my dad. Maude reminded me of my scary Aunt, who I avoided at all costs.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:40 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
AITF was a groundbreaking show, and much funnier than Maude.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
AITF was a groundbreaking show, and much funnier than Maude.
What made Maude less funny?

Old 03-25-2012, 03:00 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It has to be something deeper than that. Its definitley not that simple since both shows were hits during their original run on CBS.
That was then and this is now. My husband and I barely even remember Maude yet we remember all the characters on All In The Family and how they interacted. I guess All In The Family was timeless and Maude just highly forgettable except for being loud and her style was out of style even at the time. Maude was just odd and I doubt anyone really identified with her or knew anyone like her unlike those characters in All In The Family.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
That was then and this is now. My husband and I barely even remember Maude yet we remember all the characters on All In The Family and how they interacted. I guess All In The Family was timeless and Maude just highly forgettable except for being loud and her style was out of style even at the time. Maude was just odd and I doubt anyone really identified with her or knew anyone like her unlike those characters in All In The Family.

Ok we maybe coming close to another reason here. So it sounds like the Maude character overshadowed the other characters because she was such a MAJOR character and everyone else to a backseat? Interesting. Good discussion.

I think I will start another thread about two more 70's shows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV