U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 PM

12,168 posts, read 16,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
What made Maude less funny?
Husband wasn't funny, neither was the daughter, not a great cast. Some old shows you miss and would see again on TV, Maude wasn't one of those shows.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:08 PM

16,078 posts, read 27,129,030 times
Quote:
Ok we maybe coming close to another reason here. So it sounds like the Maude character overshadowed the other characters because she was such a MAJOR character and everyone else to a backseat? Interesting. Good discussion.

I think I will start another thread about two more 70's shows
Yes...good thread.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 56,193,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Husband wasn't funny, neither was the daughter, not a great cast. Some old shows you miss and would see again on TV, Maude wasn't one of those shows.
Well the daughter had a very minor role on the show and was not seen as much as Gloria on AITF

Old 03-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Status: "Pray that Presdient Trump stays safe!" (set 19 days ago)

22,469 posts, read 18,857,896 times
Quote:
Ok we maybe coming close to another reason here. So it sounds like the Maude character overshadowed the other characters because she was such a MAJOR character and everyone else to a backseat? Interesting. Good discussion.

I think I will start another thread about two more 70's shows
So, if "Maude" was outputting to one and all the other characters were almost invisible that made it different from "All In The Family" because each character on that show stood for a different view/angle so maybe someone didn't like Archie but I'm thinking I just loved Edith, etc.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:31 PM

55 posts, read 106,391 times
Quote:
So it could be that not many people knew someone like maude like they did with Archie?
Exactly what I was going to bring up.

I think a lot more people knew an "Archie" in their life than a "Maude". For me, Archie reminds me of my great-grandfather - enough so that it is almost a walk down memory lane just watching the show. There was a tough, and often ignorant, exterior to the character. But, you knew that above all else, he loved his family and would deal with the social and economic issues of the day while other shows were treating the same subject matter as taboo.

It is easy to remember Archie as a bigot, but he was a lot more realistic than a lot of other characters on TV. I honestly do not anyone could have brought that character to life like Carroll O'Connor did.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 PM

17,514 posts, read 29,492,628 times
Quote:
So the YELLING wasn't a issue for you at the time it premiered because it was something you never saw on TV before?
maybe because I was a teenage and I never gave it a thought, but now as a father of 20 somethings, the yelling got on my nerves and I did not like it

Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 PM

8,655 posts, read 20,287,314 times
Well, they both were very topical (so I don't think it's that) , but I believe that both Edith and Archie were just more likeable as people . You believed that they were good people & you cared what happened to them ; not so much with Maude and her husband. Loud, abrasive and not like anyone you knew.

That's why it was so hearbreaking when O'Connor's son died & he was so devastated and he made those TV ads against drugs. It was as if someone you knew was on the screen.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 56,193,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Well, they both were very topical (so I don't think it's that) , but I believe that both Edith and Archie were just more likeable as people . You believed that they were good people & you cared what happened to them ; not so much with Maude and her husband. Loud, abrasive and not like anyone you knew.

That's why it was so hearbreaking when O'Connor's son died & he was so devastated and he made those TV ads against drugs. It was as if someone you knew was on the screen.

I think families shows tend to do better in syndication which explains the success of sitcoms like All in the Family and Good Times. Other shows that were families but had grown kids doesn't do as well in syndication like the Jeffersons, and Maude.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM

332 posts, read 652,352 times
Wow, All in the Family and Maude...blasts from the past. If I remember correctly Maude was either Archie's or Edith's liberal and feminist cousin. She used to make guest appearances on AITF as a thorn in Archie's side. The interaction between Archie and Maude made for some great moments on AITF. I am thinking viewer reaction to Archie and Maude lead to the networks think Maude would be a great spin off show. Also with the feminist movement in full swing, Maude became an IT girl for that.
If my recollection is correct, Maude was topical and had some controversial moments, eg., like when Maude had an unexpected pregnancy and her decision not to carry to term, back then that was powerful and controversial and dealt with a topic (mid-life pregnancy) that wasn't seen on TV.
The real difference was the supporting cast on Maude, I think Bea over-powered them. Whether thas was how the scripts were written or it was the acting skills of the supporting cast, I don't know. But I believe it was chemistry or lack of that was the difference between the show. If the chemistry between Maude and Archie when they appeared on AITF was similar or the same on Maude, maybe the show would have more success in syndication

Btw, do remember the actor, Sherman Helmsley was not the original George Jefferson when the character appeared on AITF? I don't know the name of the original George Jefferson (although I do recall seeing him on other shows. I think his first name was Mel) When The Jeffersons debuted, it was Sherman's role, but he did not originate it.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:29 PM

48,503 posts, read 92,795,512 times
Maude basically never had the great characters as All in the Family. Just that alone mean it never caught on ;IMO.Poeple liked Archie as a character type even if they dispproved of the type.Maude wasn't a likeable type to many at all.All In Family was secod only to Lucy:IMO for overall attacting a audience.Arthur played the same type in Golden Girlls but was never liked and was off set by White and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV