U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM

7,008 posts, read 6,694,572 times

Advertisements

I've watched a few episodes of Maude but I didn't find it all that funny or entertaining.

All In The Family is still a funny show, maybe even more so now because it's so politically incorrect.

The Honeymooners's humor and slapstick has also held up well over the years.

Same with The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Still funny after all these years.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 56,193,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
Wow, All in the Family and Maude...blasts from the past. If I remember correctly Maude was either Archie's or Edith's liberal and feminist cousin. She used to make guest appearances on AITF as a thorn in Archie's side. The interaction between Archie and Maude made for some great moments on AITF. I am thinking viewer reaction to Archie and Maude lead to the networks think Maude would be a great spin off show. Also with the feminist movement in full swing, Maude became an IT girl for that.
If my recollection is correct, Maude was topical and had some controversial moments, eg., like when Maude had an unexpected pregnancy and her decision not to carry to term, back then that was powerful and controversial and dealt with a topic (mid-life pregnancy) that wasn't seen on TV.
The real difference was the supporting cast on Maude, I think Bea over-powered them. Whether thas was how the scripts were written or it was the acting skills of the supporting cast, I don't know. But I believe it was chemistry or lack of that was the difference between the show. If the chemistry between Maude and Archie when they appeared on AITF was similar or the same on Maude, maybe the show would have more success in syndication

Btw, do remember the actor, Sherman Helmsley was not the original George Jefferson when the character appeared on AITF? I don't know the name of the original George Jefferson (although I do recall seeing him on other shows. I think his first name was Mel) When The Jeffersons debuted, it was Sherman's role, but he did not originate it.
It was always one George jefferson on AITF the character was just off screen until 1973 because they were still looking for someone to play the part. The guy you saw on AITF was his brother "Henry Jefferson" who was seen until Sherman Hemsley was found by Norman Lear.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM

332 posts, read 652,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It was always one George jefferson on AITF the character was just off screen until 1973 because they were still looking for someone to play the part. The guy you saw on AITF was his brother "Henry Jefferson" who was seen until Sherman Hemsley was found by Norman Lear.
Okay thanks, I knew there was another Jefferson I saw on AITF...

Old 03-25-2012, 09:45 PM

I don't understand the programming strategy of most channels. So because maude was not working out at the 10pm slot during the week, you move the show to 2am now?

Why not have the show air at 8pm instead of 10pm or 7pm? If no one was watching Maude at 10pm I know there won't be any viewers at 2am which will only be once a week.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM

18,667 posts, read 19,117,571 times
All in the Family had a full, stellar cast. IMO, Maude did not, and she needed a harsher male character to bounce off of-which she had as a bit player in All in the Family, but she lacked in her own show.

Few spinoffs do well, despite the talent of the star. Example- Rhoda failed because again, it lacked the depth of talent the parent had. The Jeffersons did well because the supporting cast, IMO, was stronger than that of most spinoffs.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM

8,655 posts, read 20,287,314 times
I think families shows tend to do better in syndication

Everybody Loves Raymond does well in syndication . There were kids , but they were not important to the storylines at all and the show flowed better when they were not there. That is a show that was never topical and so it is as funny now as it was then.

Part of the reason is because the writers have gotten you to get to know each of the characters so that you can sort of predict how they will respond to a given situation. I think that is the hallmark of a good TV series. Even in Law & Order, you knew that Lenny Brisco should not go into that bar. You knew that Jack was getting too old to be having so many affairs with his young law clerks and you ached for Van Buren when she received her diagnosis of cancer.

Maude was really just a caricature of Upper Middle Class women in the seventies, but she wasn't a real person.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,624,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I heard a slightly different story to Sherman Hemsley coming to AITF. Sherman Hemsley was cast as George Jefferson but was involved in another project and could not do both. So they cast Mel Stewart to play Henry until Sherman was free to join the cast. I don't know if this is true but I wouldn't doubt it.

Now about Maude...I loved the character on AITF and the Maude pilot episode when her daughter Carol was getting married. I still enjoy watching Maude but not all epsiodes. There have been some episodes that were funny but overall...not so much. I thought the supporting cast (Rue McClanahan, Conrad Bain, Adrienne Barbeau, Bill Macy) was strong enough to carry the show but there was just something with most episodes and it hurt the humor. I don't know if it was politics or feminism or what but it just make me laugh.

Let's not forget Florida Evans (Maude's maid) who left for Chicago with her family and started the television show Good Times. That is a little known spin-off of Maude.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 AM

1,378 posts, read 4,182,860 times
They may have moved Maude to the early AM because it was getting bad ratings. They may have paid Lear for the rights and had to show it sometime, but didn't want to waste a good time slot if nobody is watching. So they stick it in the middle of the night.

Yes, Hemsley was doing a play and Lear held the role open until he was finished. Henry was on a lot (I think he pretended to be George just to mess with Archie) before Hemsley joined the cast. After that Henry went to live with Chuck Cunningham and Coy and Vance Duke, never to be seen or mentioned again.

Never understood how a maid in upstate New York suddenly appeared in a Chicago housing project.

I've seen Maude a few times and it never did much for me, but I still love AITF.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:35 AM

4,276 posts, read 7,242,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaNative View Post
Let's not forget Florida Evans (Maude's maid) who left for Chicago with her family and started the television show Good Times. That is a little known spin-off of Maude.
Maude is rarely seen anywhere. Good Times is still airing on a few channels, which makes me wonder if Good Times did better in teh ratings than Maude.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Maude is rarely seen anywhere. Good Times is still airing on a few channels, which makes me wonder if Good Times did better in teh ratings than Maude.
Of course Good Times does well in syndication-lol It's been in reruns for 10 straight years and on the channels below

TBS
TV LAND
TV ONE
ANTENNA TV

Maude on the otherhand has only been seen in reruns briefly in 2001 on TV land and just reappeared in 2011 when Antenna TV picked it up. So Maude was not seen for ten straight years before Antenna TV picked it up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV