Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I;m a TVResearcher in my sparetime and have several newspapers and magazines I collected over the years to back up that good times is not a spinoff.
Alright alright...no need to get upset about it. Forget I mentioned it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 05:21 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
I;m a TVResearcher in my sparetime and have several newspapers and magazines I collected over the years to back up that good times is not a spinoff.
Interesting hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Like Archie, Maude was a character written to be very abrasive (almost antagonistic) and "in your face" about her political and personal views.

It worked for the male character and show, but not that much for the female version/show.
Kind of a double standard there, but IMO she wasn't funny, he was.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Interesting hobby.

There were funny moments with her and Walter I remember like when carol told her she is always being put in her place by Florida because she is black. And then Walter goes

"I wish I was black"

LOL

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Interesting hobby.

She was just down right irritating-much like nails on a chalkboard!

Bunker had a few redeeming qualities written into his DNA/character. Maude? Not so much.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times
TV ACRES: Spin-offs & Sequels > "M"

TV Spin-Off Series

Here are two websites devoted to TV history, both of which classify Good Times as a spin-off of Maude. Can you provide a link to a site which says it is not a spin-off?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Good Times is absolutely a spin off of Maude. Until you post some proof otherwise, you have no case.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
TV ACRES: Spin-offs & Sequels > "M"

TV Spin-Off Series

Here are two websites devoted to TV history, both of which classify Good Times as a spin-off of Maude. Can you provide a link to a site which says it is not a spin-off?

No I just have 20/20 vision, common sense, and tons of books and newspapers that confirm it;s not a spinoff.

Unless you can tell me how a family who was living in NYC ended up in another Ghetto in Chicago then it's no point in debating this. Also why did the husband have a different name on Good Times???

Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Why do you think "All in the Family" does well in syndication but it's spinoff "Maude" doesn't?
Because "All in the Family" was a general clash of ideas; and even though one one side was presented condescendingly, most people could sympathize and/or relate to at least one of the characters. And since the main theme was a clash of ideologies in general (even if they often used specific subject to play them out), it's still relevant today. And then there's the intergenerational conflict theme that's also timeless.

"Maude" in comparison was a nonstop, pious rant on on a single topic (feminism) whose ideas were novel in the 1970s but we've heard a million times since then.

Last edited by Drover; 03-26-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Maude, like All In The Family, has that live, intimate feel when you are watching it. It is supposed to portray the idea that a female liberal can be as bigoted and narrow minded as a male conservative and i suppose it does that, but it does it with far less earthiness, gusto and superior humor. The humor is there, but it's more nuanced and less spontaneous than All In The Family. Maude can be entertaining but it just doesn't give one the urgency to watch it like All In The Family does. Could be because the stereotype of an elitist liberal (stuck up, humorless, hypocritical) just can't be as funny as the stereotype of a bigot can?

Maude reminds very much what like All In The Family became after Mike and GLoria moved out in early 1978. Archie became softer and lost his humorous hard edge and it was pretty lukewarm until Archie Bunkers Place in 1980. It had it's moments, but then...

Old 03-26-2012, 05:51 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,362,406 times
Changes are made in shows all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV