U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 56,248,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Maude, like All In The Family, has that live, intimate feel when you are watching it. It is supposed to portray the idea that a female liberal can be as bigoted and narrow minded as a male conservative and i suppose it does that, but it does it with far less earthiness, gusto and superior humor. The humor is there, but it's more nuanced and less spontaneous than All In The Family. Maude can be entertaining but it just doesn't give one the urgency to watch it like All In The Family does. Could be because the stereotype of an elitist liberal (stuck up, humorless, hypocritical) just can't be as funny as the stereotype of a bigot can?

Maude reminds very much what like All In The Family became after Mike and GLoria moved out in early 1978. Archie became softer and lost his humorous hard edge and it was pretty lukewarm until Archie Bunkers Place in 1980. It had it's moments, but then...

No All in the family because unwatchable because of adding that child to the show by the name of Stephanie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 PM

38,705 posts, read 98,201,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It was always one George jefferson on AITF the character was just off screen until 1973 because they were still looking for someone to play the part. The guy you saw on AITF was his brother "Henry Jefferson" who was seen until Sherman Hemsley was found by Norman Lear.
Lear always wanted Hemsley and Hemsley agreed to play the part from the get-go. The problem was one of scheduling conflicts/contractual obligations. Once Hemsley was free, that's when he made his appearance.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:17 PM

841 posts, read 1,852,636 times
I used to watch Maude when I was a little kid, along with All in the Family. Back then there was not a lot for kids to watch except so called adult type viewing.

When you realize the topics on these programs you have to say tv back then tried to tackle real issues. They were pretty progressive viewing for families/kids.

I hardly remember Maude or her issues. I guess the feminist themes annoyed men. The other night I watched a whole episode where she has an abortion because she and Walter are too old to have a baby and I thought that it was just challenging to watch. Not very comfortable, not many laughs on Maude.

All in the Family had heavy themes but you wound up laughing at Archie a lot. You don't laugh at Maude. She's just in your face and not very funny.

Whether or not Good Times is or not a spin off of Maude--it is one of my favorites. Again, I never saw COLOR. I just saw shows I liked as a little kid in the 70s--Good Times, Chico and the Man, Welcome Back Kotter.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:58 AM

39,346 posts, read 69,885,191 times
Quote:
I;m a TVResearcher in my sparetime and have several newspapers and magazines I collected over the years to back up that good times is not a spinoff.
LOL, you need to do more research.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM

1,879 posts, read 3,460,031 times
Quote:
The character was GEORGE JEFFERSON and I'm afraid you are no longer qualified to discuss this topic because the fact that you didn't know the name of the Bunkers next door neighbor confirmed that you were not a fan of All in the Family.
I thought Henry Jefferson, played by Mel Stewart, was funnier than George.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I thought Henry Jefferson, played by Mel Stewart, was funnier than George.
And why is that?

Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM

14,691 posts, read 25,339,850 times
Sam the Butcher was one of the underrated actors on the show.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 PM

3,827 posts, read 3,206,492 times
Quote:
What made Maude less funny?
The "enlightened" Maude was just stubborn. Archie had an excuse for his built-in bigotry. He was an ignorant self-made man with only a high school education.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:55 PM

3,827 posts, read 3,206,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I used to watch Maude when I was a little kid, along with All in the Family. Back then there was not a lot for kids to watch except so called adult type viewing.

When you realize the topics on these programs you have to say tv back then tried to tackle real issues. They were pretty progressive viewing for families/kids.

I hardly remember Maude or her issues. I guess the feminist themes annoyed men. The other night I watched a whole episode where she has an abortion because she and Walter are too old to have a baby and I thought that it was just challenging to watch. Not very comfortable, not many laughs on Maude.

All in the Family had heavy themes but you wound up laughing at Archie a lot. You don't laugh at Maude. She's just in your face and not very funny.

Whether or not Good Times is or not a spin off of Maude--it is one of my favorites. Again, I never saw COLOR. I just saw shows I liked as a little kid in the 70s--Good Times, Chico and the Man, Welcome Back Kotter.
"Welcome Back Kotter" could never be made today because of all the negative stereotypes portrayed by the "sweathogs".

Old 03-27-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
"Welcome Back Kotter" could never be made today because of all the negative stereotypes portrayed by the "sweathogs".
If stupid shows like Jersey Shore can be made today then so can welcome back kotter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV