U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 06:57 PM

12,119 posts, read 31,961,297 times

Advertisements

The Sherman Helmsley character(George) was a bit put on and contrived compared to the Mel Stewart character (Henry)who was more down to earth and believable. I think the Helmsley character HAD to be that way to match Archie's absurdity whereas the Mel Stewart character was smarter and brighter and less ignorant than Archie and George
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 07:04 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 56,150,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
The Sherman Helmsley character(George) was a bit put on and contrived compared to the Mel Stewart character (Henry)who was more down to earth and believable. I think the Helmsley character HAD to be that way to match Archie's absurdity whereas the Mel Stewart character was smarter and brighter and less ignorant than Archie and George
So why wasn't George Jefferson believable?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:14 PM

38,705 posts, read 98,037,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
The "enlightened" Maude was just stubborn. Archie had an excuse for his built-in bigotry. He was an ignorant self-made man with only a high school education.
Actually he didn't even have that. He was a high school dropout, but if I remember correctly he did eventually get a GED so he could get a promotion at work.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,449,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So why wasn't George Jefferson believable?
The George Jefferson character was a buffoon, acting in a child-like manner, which, to me, conflicts with his image as a successful businessman.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 AM

14,691 posts, read 25,308,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Actually he didn't even have that. He was a high school dropout, but if I remember correctly he did eventually get a GED so he could get a promotion at work.
And the kids used to tease him all the time. His family was poor so they couldn't afford to buy him a new pair of shoes when one of them became unwearable. So, he had to wear a shoe and an old boot. The kids called him Shoebootie. Until they figured out his name was Archibald, which they thought was funnier.

Plus, his dad seems to have been abusive. He used to lock Arch in the closet to teach him to "do good".

Old 03-28-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The George Jefferson character was a buffoon, acting in a child-like manner, which, to me, conflicts with his image as a successful businessman.
The other 3 black shows had buffoon characters too

Sanford and Son........"Grady"

Good Times................"J.J"

What's Happening.........."Rerun"

So tell me what you really mean? Why are those bufoons accepted and not Mr. Jefferson?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,449,989 times
Quote:

So tell me what you really mean? Why are those bufoons accepted and not Mr. Jefferson?
Why don't you read my entire sentence?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Why don't you read my entire sentence?
Disregard my post, I thought I was responding to another topic I started

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,180,823 times
Quote:

Grady had early onset of Alzheimer's. Rerun was supposed to be an idiot and J.J. was supposed to be a jive talking teenager in the ghetto.

George was the main character of the show. He was a grown man with an adult child, so he had to be in his 50s. He owned a chain of successful dry cleaners. I think we should expect a person like that to display a little more maturity than he did. He would always stomp around and scream if he didn't get his way.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Grady had early onset of Alzheimer's. Rerun was supposed to be an idiot and J.J. was supposed to be a jive talking teenager in the ghetto.

George was the main character of the show. He was a grown man with an adult child, so he had to be in his 50s. He owned a chain of successful dry cleaners. I think we should expect a person like that to display a little more maturity than he did. He would always stomp around and scream if he didn't get his way.
Well he had a short temper and would slam doors every once in a while-lol

BTW: Did you used to be on a site called SitcomsOnline.Com?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV