Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:42 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Yes, she wanted more money and a percentage of the show's profits but the producers weren't going for it. She tried suing them but failed. That whole thing was a huge mess, thanks to her husband. The producers wanted The Ropers spin-off because they wanted to capitalize off of it. Three's Company was such a success that they figured the Ropers would make a lot of money too. Turns out that Norman Fell really didn't want to do it but Audra Lindley wanted to. Supposedly the producers promised them that if The Ropers failed, they would go back to Three's Company. So the show does well for a season until they switched it to Saturday night. Ratings dropped and the show got canceled. "The Ropers" went back to the producers to get their spot back on Three's Company but with Don Knotts added to the cast, the producers didn't seem to favor the idea now. But I did like Don Knotts. I couldn't stand Chrissy's cousin though. She seemed dumber than Chrissy and Terri was kinda blah to me. The Ropers got their own show, which I thought was pretty funny but Jack's spin-off was a complete zzzzzzzzz...
Cindy was dumb she was just clumsy. And I would think a spinoff with Jack and his girlfriend would be more watchable than a spinoff with two old people in the suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Cindy was dumb she was just clumsy. And I would think a spinoff with Jack and his girlfriend would be more watchable than a spinoff with two old people in the suburbs
If it wasn't for Jack's physical humor, I don't think the show was that great. The gf's father was uptight and thought Jack wasn't good enough. The Ropers though, well, it's Mr. Roper! and the neighbors were funny too...Jeffrey Tambor always seemed to be spying on the Ropers lol

Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
Quote:
Well those were the top 2 shows in the late 70's so I was just curious what other thought about the two shows.
Top 2 as determined by who? Out of curiosity I just a couple of websites that mentioned Nielsen ratings and ratings by critics, and didn't see any mention whatsoever of Three's Company. All in the Family dominated and Laverne and Shirley was mentioned but clearly not among the top few.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
If it wasn't for Jack's physical humor, I don't think the show was that great. The gf's father was uptight and thought Jack wasn't good enough. The Ropers though, well, it's Mr. Roper! and the neighbors were funny too...Jeffrey Tambor always seemed to be spying on the Ropers lol
There were two HIGH POINTS in Ropers episodes

1. The neighbor Ann

2. The Young Girls who would sit in the hot tub

Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Top 2 as determined by who? Out of curiosity I just a couple of websites that mentioned Nielsen ratings and ratings by critics, and didn't see any mention whatsoever of Three's Company. All in the Family dominated and Laverne and Shirley was mentioned but clearly not among the top few.
All in the Family and Maude ruled from 1971-1975

Three's Company and Laverne and Shirley ruled from 1976-1979

Old 06-15-2012, 05:34 PM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
They were both beyond stupid. "Vapid", "infantile" and "lowest common denominator" come to mind.

I vote for All In The Family.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Three's Company has always been that great fallback show that never ever had serious topics and it was so easy to escape reality and laugh out loud. The show had all the right elements which was 2 sexy female roomates and a clumsy and silly male roomate which always made for great laughs.

Laverne and Shirley was a similar type of show which was a lot of physical comedy and not a lot of serious episodes which is why you can always watch over and over again. The california years wasn't too good but still watchable and the last season was just awful due to Cindy williams leaving.

But I will never understand how Laverne and Shirley had more viewers than Three's Company during the 1978-79 TV season. A ongoing TV mystery
Tough choice.

Give me Laverne & Shirley in Milwaukee and Three's Company with Mr. Furley.

But they're both two of my all-time favorite sitcoms. They don't make them like that anymore.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:46 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
I didn't like any of that sort of cit-coms in the 70s.

As a country we had grown to sophisticated to accept this stuff. The late 70s were worse.

Best Sit Com - early "All In the Family"

Early "MASH"

"The Odd Couple" "Mary Tyler Moore" and "Family" - although that may have been a Drama.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
I believe there was a short-lived spin off similar to what you describe (after Three's Company ended).

Look up Three's a Crowd.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I believe there was a short-lived spin off similar to what you describe (after Three's Company ended).

Look up Three's a Crowd.
I never considered Three;s a Crowd a spinoff since the main character was still on the show(Jack Tripper). It was more of a continuation like how All in the family turned into Archie Bunker's Place with new characters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV