Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite Star Trek series?
Star Trek (the original) 16 26.67%
The Animated Series 0 0%
The Next Generation 34 56.67%
Deep Space Nine 13 21.67%
Voyager 12 20.00%
Enterprise 3 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 02:16 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,333 times

Advertisements

I'm curious whether anyone else liked this series. I enjoyed it, but I know that diehard Trek fans knock it a lot. Yeah, it wasn't perfect. Having things like the Ferengi and the Borg in a series that's supposed to be set before the original series was a stretch. And I know that messing with the timeline was one of the things people complained about. But overall, I liked the concept of going back to the beginning of the space program, and seeing how the first starship made its way into the skies. The action was first-rate, the special effects were unrivaled compared to past ST series (though given the advancements in computer technology, this is no surprise), the acting was generally solid, and the interaction and relationships between the characters was convincing. I think Connor Trineer stole the show as Tucker, and I've always liked Scott Bakula as an actor, so I knew I'd enjoy him as Archer. T'Pol took some getting used to, but I eventually warmed up to her character. If only they would have gotten her out of those ridiculous catsuits. How "logical" were those to be wearing on a starship, for heaven's sake? The series finale was a big let-down, but in between, there were quite a few memorable episodes.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I grew up with ST: The Next Generation. The original series went off the air a few years before I was born, so it was never as familiar to me as Picard and company. So maybe I come at the whole thing a little differently from some fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,621,740 times
DS9 by far was my fave. The way they serialised the Dominion war kept me eagarly anticipating the next episode every week--the characters were richly layered.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,855 times
When I was a trekkie in my younger years I was a TNG fan.. I would skip school to go to conventions.. I do believe somewhere I still have all the plates with *****rd and the Borg and things on them.. I have since moved on and can't stand star trek anymore lol! Okay its bleeping out the Captains name... weird

Old 12-29-2007, 02:11 PM

139 posts, read 1,024,909 times
I liked the original star trek as well as the next generation.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:01 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,357 times
I like Next Generation better than the Original. I hardly saw the original in comparison to Next Generation (my stepfather introduced this series to me). However, nowadays, with Blockbuster Online, hubby (who is a major Trekkie) and I have started watching the other shows and I do like Enterprise, mainly because of Captain Archer. I plan on watching the other series as well.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
I love the original. I love Next Gen. DS9 was okay. Never could get into Voyager at all. Enterprise had a slow start but was actually getting really good when it got cancelled.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
I like Next Generation better than the Original. I hardly saw the original in comparison to Next Generation (my stepfather introduced this series to me). However, nowadays, with Blockbuster Online, hubby (who is a major Trekkie) and I have started watching the other shows and I do like Enterprise, mainly because of Captain Archer. I plan on watching the other series as well.
Hey, that's what we're doing! My wife and I watched Enterpise on the Sci-Fi channel, got through the whole run, and really enjoyed it. Now we're going back to TNG, which is where I came in, and watching the DVDs. We're up to season 3. After that one's done, I'm not sure where we'll move next. Maybe the original series.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:38 PM

715 posts, read 2,086,896 times
I had to go with DS9. I enjoyed seing as many races involved not to mention the action with the dominion (shapeshifters) and then you had the mystery surrounding Capt Sisko who also plays the role of the Emissary..

Voyager comes in close 2nd

Old 01-05-2008, 06:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
I watched them all but next generation was the best,the cast just came together so well.Worf was my favorite.I still enjoy the shows,the movies also.

But props to the original cast also,just don't be the guy in the red shirt though.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I watched them all but next generation was the best,the cast just came together so well.Worf was my favorite.I still enjoy the shows,the movies also.

But props to the original cast also,just don't be the guy in the red shirt though.

Ha! So true. If you're a redshirt, your days are numbered.

I'm glad to see someone voted for Enterprise! Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV