Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:27 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
That episode reminded me of a series of books called "The Saxon chronicles"...Almost to the point that I assume the show is somewhat based on those books.

A viking crew led by a guy named Ragnar goes to Northumbria and captures an English kid as a slave, but Ragnar likes him, he grows up to be a Viking. In the book it's told from the kids point of view and he's not a monk. Kick ass books.
The books are by Bernard Cornwell and are really very good; if I remember correctly the main character is from Bebbanburg and was 'responsible' for Lindisfarne so the raid as shown on the tv show reminded me of the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I was somewhat shocked in a good way by the second episode. The writers didn't sugar coat these Vikings at all. They showed them for the brutal marauders they really were. It was actually a little tough watching them slaughter those monks. The only part that seemed a little off was the portrayal of the women which seemed somewhat contemporary. Good show so far.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
The books are by Bernard Cornwell and are really very good; if I remember correctly the main character is from Bebbanburg and was 'responsible' for Lindisfarne so the raid as shown on the tv show reminded me of the books.

One difference in the show and those books and others I've read, is that in the books the village chief is considered a good guy, someone you want to fight and die with. On the show, what's his name, is cruel and evil.

But that probably has more to do with the show needing a villian and dramatic tension.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Give a few specific examples of the hate that you saw depicted towards Europeans.
The warlord chieftain was unusually cruel (as well as was his wife), Ragnar's brother is a rapist and lusts for his brother's wife, the Viking raiders slaughtered unarmed priests who did not even raise a fist to the Vikings, and to top it off, the Vikings desecrate at least one crucifix for no apparent purpose. And those are just off the top of my head.

And did we see any redeeming qualities from any of the characters? Perhaps a few, but the negative character attributes dominated the show's second episode. This show intends to mock Europeans, but that's nothing new out of the mainstream media...after all, how many times did the History Channel air that documentary about Israel's attack on the USS Liberty? Exactly ONCE, and you can bet a number of people were dismissed from making any such programs ever again. However, you can be certain there will be no such retribution for a show such as Vikings...

Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM

3,996 posts, read 5,012,780 times
Wow, Exitus, I can't believe your take on this. I'm sure others will more concisely tell you what they think, but meanwhile, just wow.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
You are spot on about how Euro history wasevolving in the "Dark Ages" They called it that for more reasons than one.

Sometime back PBS did a great documentary mini-series entitled "The Story of English" I marvled at how the English language that dominates more than half of today's world evolved from a tiny little village in Europe. The amazing aspect of the dialect was it's ability to absorb and morph many other languages and tongues such as latin, French, Spanish etc. Unlike other languages which remained in their rudimentary tongue.

I would recommend this show to anyone who enjoys the history of the Anglo-Saxon culture and its influence and impact on our modern world....
Before I lost it in a move, along with the book, I had a copy of that seires. The history of an area is literally *written* in its language. The earliest words which still exist, drawn from the mother root language of the indo-european first immigrants are words like 'mother' and 'father' and the terms everyone everywhere shares. There is a list of the twelve most fundamental words in English.

There is a book I had (went whereever the series went) which was arrainged in cronological chapters from the early indo-european, to the most recent (at least in the 90's). There is a huge index at the end which tells you where to look up the word. But reading it is like reading a history of the British Isles. I've looked on Amazon and can't find that particular book, but it was one you could literally read as a history. I *think* it was called 'the history of the English Language' but couldn't find anything like that listed that was published in the late 90's.

I don't remember, but was that the series where they went to historic Virginia (I think Virginia) as an example of what the true dialect of what 'english' sounded like in Shakespeare's time, and how the rythmes and cadence of his plays fits perfectly. That veddy proper upper class accent did not exist in the 1500's, the general accent being more like early colonial America, and did not really develop until the power of the upper class solidified with their accent as their signature.

I love how BBC records its drama's in local accent and subtitles them. So if its Cornwall, you hear the accent and words of Cornwall, and well *may* need subtitles.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:59 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The warlord chieftain was unusually cruel (as well as was his wife), Ragnar's brother is a rapist and lusts for his brother's wife, the Viking raiders slaughtered unarmed priests who did not even raise a fist to the Vikings, and to top it off, the Vikings desecrate at least one crucifix for no apparent purpose. And those are just off the top of my head.

And did we see any redeeming qualities from any of the characters? Perhaps a few, but the negative character attributes dominated the show's second episode. This show intends to mock Europeans, but that's nothing new out of the mainstream media...after all, how many times did the History Channel air that documentary about Israel's attack on the USS Liberty? Exactly ONCE, and you can bet a number of people were dismissed from making any such programs ever again. However, you can be certain there will be no such retribution for a show such as Vikings...
But there WAS no 'Europe' then, and the raiders were vicious in their raids. They were far worse than the earlier raids by the Angles and Saxons upon the Romans and at first for treasure. But part of the heritage of the English is Scandanavian, for the Vikings did not just raid. They settled. They were farmers by normal occupation and finding good ground settled among the natives. After the raids ceased, there was a 'viking' presense in northern and eastern Britan for centuries, later absorbed into the populas as the Normans overran all of them. Like it or not, history is often NOT kind or simple and conquers do not always set out to be. The Viking raiders WERE visious to the local population before they began to move there. It's far better to portray history as it was than please some kind of a political agenda.

And Israel has nothing to do with the subject.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:

Wow is right. Someone must listen to a lot of Wagner.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:

From what we know of vikings history, that all sounds about right.

I'll give you the chieftain..They were usually known to be someone men wanted to follow, fight and die for.

But any dramatic story needs a villain. Hard to believe that the writers making the chieftain a villain is part of a secret agenda to "hate Europeans".

Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM

154 posts, read 691,427 times
Default Great Medieval Norse dentists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I thought it was kind of boring and did not seem to depict what I understand life was like at the time (people were too clean, well groomed and well dressed. Building interiors too nice. I do not think they are going for realism here, but if the are just going for drama it needs to move faster. I give a b-/C+ this week. Not sure whether i will watch it again. they showed the highlights of next weeks show and it did not look all that interesting. A lot of hype for a decent, but not really exciting show.
Oh, I'm with you! Notice how everybody has all their teeth and limbs despite all the sword bashing and hacking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV