Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:48 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,886,782 times

Advertisements

To me, Jan Hooks may have been the all-time funniest female star of Saturday Night Live. She was also on during the same time as Dana Carey and Phil Hartman during the late 1980's. That was to me one of the show's best periods. There were definitely funny performers before and after that, but that time was especially creative I thought. It was not necessarily any one character, although the Sweeney Sisters were pretty funny. But in the new DVD of Women of SNL, Maya Rudolph pointed out one sketch starring, Hooks, Hartman, and guest Alec Baldwin, with Hooks as a waitress in a truckstop diner type of place. I haven't really enjoyed her work since leaving SNL, but her work on the show was so great I have to give her credit. I really loved that era.

Some might make a case for Gilda Radner. I would not try to argue against that either. I also thought that Molly Shannon was one of the best.

In addition to Gilda Radner, Jan Hooks and Molly Shannon, these were some of my other favorite ones:

Jane Curtain, Laraine Newman, Nora Dunn, Victoria Jackson, Melanie Hutsell, Ana Gasteyer, Cheri Oteri, Rachel Dratch, and Amy Poehler. I would almost include Kristen Wiig, although some of her stuff was too strange for my taste.

Who were your favorites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,826,988 times
Jan Hooks... hands down. Though I do love Cheri Oteri! She was great with Chris Kataan when they played the overly affectionate couple. LOL

Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,168,952 times
My favorite female performance from SNL were Ana Gasteyer's appearances as Cinder Calhoun, the radical femnist folk singer. Gasteyer has a great set of pipes and that really helped sell the character. The songs were hilarious..Her Thanksgiving protest..."Basted in Blood" is a classic.

I loved the Jan Hooks/Nora Dunn parodies of those two extraordinarily vacuous hosts of "Attitudes" They captured their airheaded enthusiasm perfectly.

I knew Nora Dunn before she was on the show. She and my wife were both waiting tables in a San Francisco restaurant for a time. The restaurant decided to add entertainment and they tried a Friday night comedy show. Nora did one of her first standup appearances there and I would not have predicted a great future for her based on what I saw and how the audience reacted. She got better.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,658,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
To me, Jan Hooks may have been the all-time funniest female star of Saturday Night Live. She was also on during the same time as Dana Carey and Phil Hartman during the late 1980's. That was to me one of the show's best periods. There were definitely funny performers before and after that, but that time was especially creative I thought. It was not necessarily any one character, although the Sweeney Sisters were pretty funny. But in the new DVD of Women of SNL, Maya Rudolph pointed out one sketch starring, Hooks, Hartman, and guest Alec Baldwin, with Hooks as a waitress in a truckstop diner type of place. I haven't really enjoyed her work since leaving SNL, but her work on the show was so great I have to give her credit. I really loved that era.

Some might make a case for Gilda Radner. I would not try to argue against that either. I also thought that Molly Shannon was one of the best.

In addition to Gilda Radner, Jan Hooks and Molly Shannon, these were some of my other favorite ones:

Jane Curtain, Laraine Newman, Nora Dunn, Victoria Jackson, Melanie Hutsell, Ana Gasteyer, Cheri Oteri, Rachel Dratch, and Amy Poehler. I would almost include Kristen Wiig, although some of her stuff was too strange for my taste.

Who were your favorites?
Anna Gasteyer
Maya Rudolph
Jan Hooks-I know which sketch you mean all double entendre about eating hot pie fill up you cup and various cream jokes.

That was my favorite era too.
RIP Phil

I have been dying to see the old sketch The Raging Queen with Michael Palin as the guest-funny!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:04 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times
She is definitely in my top 5. Always liked this video she did with the late great Phil Hartman.

Love is a Dream on Vimeo

Old 02-28-2013, 10:25 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,146,156 times
Jan Hooks was a stud and maybe one of the most under-celebrated stars from the show.

Cheri Oteri, Amy Pohler (love the Rick, Rick, Rick sketch where she played a litte girl), and Molly Shannon (I'm 50 years old) were other stud performers who could carry alot of different kinds of sketches.

But I've got a soft-spot for Kristen Wiig, I used to think she was THE most dynamic SNL performer (male or female) for years. Her facial expressions are world class and Bridesmaids (largely her creation) is IMO one of the best comedies of the last 20 years.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,468,839 times
I really disliked Kristen Wiig, she was basically in every sketch for the last couple years and the bits they kept playing over and over just got old really quick.

My favorite is probably Tina Fey

Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,768,472 times
Molly Shannon hands down. Three simple words people: Mary Katherine Gallagher. 2nd place goes to Gilda. Not because of Rosanne Rosannadana. Her Baba Wawa character always had me in stitches. 3rd is Cheri because of the over medicated lady she'd play. Jan is 4th on my list. How could you not get a kick out of the Sweeney Sisters?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 PM

8,079 posts, read 4,757,124 times
I agree that Jan Hooks deserves the top spot, though Gilda Radner is close behind.

One of the few bright spots of the early 1980s shows was Robin Duke, who made me laugh a lot, too. I think she, Jane Curtin, and Nora Dunn round out my top five favorite ladies.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,360,262 times
Late 80s-early 90s was the best period of the show.
My favourites are Jan Hooks, Gilda Radner, Victoria Jackson, Nora Dunn, Jane Curtin and Laraine Newman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV