Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:02 AM

280 posts, read 685,818 times

Advertisements

When I was younger, I used to love the history channel because it televised a bevy of informative programs.

Nowadays, however, there are few documentaries; it seems like Pawn Stars and other such shows are on much of the time.

What's going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:24 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
I thought I was the only person who felt this way!

I hate shows like Modern Marvels and the other distracting things that have nothing to do with History. I want straight documentaries and discussions about History! I literally want to spend the whole day in another time period.

The only thing was I used to think the history channel was boring in those days because I was in elementary and middle school during the late 90s and early 2000s. Now I wish we had that History channel back! lol.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
try BBC. You can find a ton of documentaries from them on eztv

Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM

958 posts, read 2,132,455 times
Same here. I'm pretty sure there is still enough history to produce new shows. But I suppose "marathons" are cheaper and easier.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
There is the channel H2, History's other channel.

There is "DOC" channel...that's the documentary channel.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:59 AM

280 posts, read 685,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
There is the channel H2, History's other channel.

There is "DOC" channel...that's the documentary channel.
Aren't those premium channels?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:26 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGravitas View Post
Aren't those premium channels?
Hmmm, IDK. They come with the package I have with DirectTv.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 AM

910 posts, read 2,292,328 times
I too had thought "what gives???". They no longer care I guess and/or they save the best for the "premium" channels, which is very unfair as we started out one way and we got used to it, but ah, that's human greed in action! I don't see what "Pawn Stars" has to do with history at all. I have, however, seen there (or at least I think it was there) the story of the millionaires who built this country, can't remember the exact name of the show, it was very interesting, and very revealing, especially about what's going on now, it's really the same families ruling this country after all... From time to time they do throw us "a bone" but it certainly is not like it used to be.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:55 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I thought I was the only person who felt this way!

I hate shows like Modern Marvels and the other distracting things that have nothing to do with History.
I wish I could see more Modern Marvels, instead of shows about swamp people and so forth. And, I cannot remember the last time I saw a documentary about WWII, The Russian Revolution, Rome, the maritime clock, or any other significant part of history. The History Channel is almost to history as MTV is to music...

Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I remember when the history channel was all about history and they would have these cool shows about WW2 and such. Think about the cost involved in bringing a period piece into production interspersed with live phootage from the time frame and having the experts talk about it. That is a lot of time, and money and people might watch it once or twice. OR you could give a camera to a bunch of clowns and they film their own antics or as in most reality shows you have a handful of people to film and ahem (script) or get creative with the editing of the show.
While we are at it what ever happened to the learning channel?? The only thing I have learned on that recently is not to go over for dinner at Honey Boo Boo's house.
Reality shows are here to stay, they are cheap to produce and the potatos love em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV