Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

Liberace was the consummate showman. The more the press knocked him, the more over the top he became. Even people who didn't care for him tuned in to see what he'd be wearing this week. You must remember that he was popular in a time when homosexuality was spoken of in whispers and never in front of Mom or the children.

I once portrayed an old Jewish woman survivor of the Russian pogrom. I portrayed a demented woman. I portrayed a homeless woman. I portrayed a woman confined to a wheelchair who gets murdered. I am none of those women. They were characters in plays, designed to tell a story to an audience. Same for Douglas and Damon. Characters in a play, telling a story that not everyone has heard before. I'd like to see the movie but I don't have HBO. I'm sure at some point, On Demand will have it for brief time. I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 07:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
I loved Liberace as a child. (I was always drawn to gay men! LOL!). I loved his outfits, loved the piano, loved the showmanship!

I remember when he died, I wrote a letter to his sister sending my condolences. She actually sent me back a beautiful letter, a mass card from his funeral, and some other items. Oh, how I wish I still had that stuff!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:31 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Evn thogh I was around when
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This was actually an entry at the Cannes film festival. Reviews are excellent. I read that if it had had a theatrical release, it would have been Academy Award.material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Liberace was the consummate showman. The more the press knocked him, the more over the top he became. Even people who didn't care for him tuned in to see what he'd be wearing this week. You must remember that he was popular in a time when homosexuality was spoken of in whispers and never in front of Mom or the children.

I once portrayed an old Jewish woman survivor of the Russian pogrom. I portrayed a demented woman. I portrayed a homeless woman. I portrayed a woman confined to a wheelchair who gets murdered. I am none of those women. They were characters in plays, designed to tell a story to an audience. Same for Douglas and Damon. Characters in a play, telling a story that not everyone has heard before. I'd like to see the movie but I don't have HBO. I'm sure at some point, On Demand will have it for brief time. I hope.
Douglas and Damon were excellent but I can't say I liked the movie. IMO it should have been left private. I was stunned to see Debbie Reynolds played the mom! I never recognized her! I never heard or I don't remember that Liberace died of AIDS.

Why did you post that, gypsy? Do you think people will think the actors are gay? Doesn't everyone know they are straight?

Old 05-27-2013, 06:05 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Evn thogh I was around when

Douglas and Damon were excellent but I can't say I liked the movie. IMO it should have been left private. I was stunned to see Debbie Reynolds played the mom! I never recognized her! I never heard or I don't remember that Liberace died of AIDS.

Why did you post that, gypsy? Do you think people will think the actors are gay? Doesn't everyone know they are straight?

Many will.
See my first response.

We are now in a time when high school students believe that high school wrestling is a gay sport.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Many will.
See my first response.

We are now in a time when high school students believe that high school wrestling is a gay sport.
Oh, that's where my missing words went to...at the top of my post! Hmmm.

Gosh, NBP, do they really?? They could be right I suppose, the Greeks and Romans were very into wrestling but growing up watching wrestlng because my parents did, I always looked upon wrestlers as real "He-men" and never for a minute have thought about it having to do with homosexuality! Ugh, that ruins the image for me.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Liberace was a talented musician but no one became a star just playing the piano, so he created his stage persona to distinguish himself from the competition and it worked out very well for him. The only other piano player/star I can think of is Victor Borge and he too used a gimmick act.

Others have followed this path to success. The wrestler Gorgeous George was just George until he made himself into someone the crowds loved to hate with his primping and preening. Charo is another, a highly talented classical guitar player, she brought the spotlight upon herself with that whole coochie coochie act.

Find your unique angle, find the gimmick that works for you and you rise above the others who may have as much basic talent, but have not mastered showmanship.

Liberace was a master showman. Audiences loved him.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
I wish the movie was more about his childhood and how he got to where he did then the affair he had with Scott Thorson.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
I wish the movie was more about his childhood and how he got to where he did then the affair he had with Scott Thorson.

Unfortunately, the book is based on Scott Thorson's book.

It would have been great to do a documentary on his entire life.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Unfortunately, the book is based on Scott Thorson's book.

It would have been great to do a documentary on his entire life.

Yep and Scott is in jail right now...or he just got out. I can't remember what he did but I think it was robbery, theft or something along those lines.

I liked the movie. It was a bit better than just "okay." I really enjoy Matt Damon but I have some kind of a grudge against Michael Douglas. I'm not sure why but I just don't like the guy. Still, I was impressed with his performance.

There were a lot of actors hidden in the movie. Aykroyd as the manager, Debbie Reynolds as Frances the mom. Rob Lowe as the doctor, Scott Bakula as Bob. Their makeup hid them and I only spotted Debbie because of her eyes, Aykroyd because of his voice, Rob Lowe because of.....something. I don't know what tipped me off.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,655,617 times
He sure was tight with his money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV