Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:35 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,367 times

Advertisements

Obviously there are a few I like, but while I know prefer TV over movies for comedy, I can basically only stand film dramas. My main gripes:

- The acting and writing on these shows are both horrendous, to the point of being melodrama.

- The episodic nature of conflicts and resolutions make the events of the show seem contrived and farcical

- 95% of them are about cops, hospitals, or lawyers. Not really a fan of any of these things (Yeah hospitals are necessary, but have you been to one recently? Mad creepy.)

- Who wants to watch something all tense and morbid at the end of the day anyway? You'd think with how stressed out everyone is all the time, they'd want something light and fun. Sometimes I think most people are masochists or something.

While I'm at it let me also say: CSI Miami is an affront to human dignity. How this tripe got so popular is beyond me.

Coroner: This is the second body we've found outside of that Foot Locker this week. Very unusual.

Horatio Caine: Looks like the shoe's on ... (removes sunglasses) the other foot now.

Roger Daltry: YEAHHHHHHHH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 04:44 PM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,445,704 times
Are you talking about procedurals? Because all those case-of-the-week shows on the big networks, I hate those. But shows like Homeland, Dexter, Breaking Bad, etc. are great. The shows on HBO, Showtime, FX, and AMC are actually shows with great acting and writing.

Maybe you should start watching some of those?

Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,606,367 times
Netflix has got me completely enamored with British Comedy. Peep Show, Mitchell & Webb, Spaced, and the Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Maargaret are my favorites.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-25-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,093 times
I think 2007 will probably eventually be acknowledged as the best year for television dramas, at least in my lifetime, but having said that, the decline from 2007 to 2013 hasn't been that large. If you want to see how crappy drama could be on television, go back before 1987. Hill Street Blues changed the nature of television drama, and some of the very best drama series ever have been presented within the last ten years (The Shield, The Sopranos, The Wire, Sleeper Cell, Six Feet Under, Lost, etc.), and some are still in production today (Homeland, The Americans, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, etc.)

Old 07-10-2013, 05:45 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,372,756 times
I don't really care for dramas either. They're too over-the-top for me in their situations. And your points are exactly what I would say. There are very few that I watch and most of the shows I watch were either already on or shows that are still on that I'm catching up on. Rather than watch CSI or any of the other five hundred shows like that, I'd rather watch real stories like those on The First 48 (one of my favorite shows) or Forensic Files.

I do watch comedies but not most of them. Funny that Jukes mentions MASH, which I find pretty boring and painful to sit through most of the time, but I also don't like a lot of popular comedies---Mike & Molly, Friends, Two and a Half Men, etc. (Community is insanely overrated by the minority that really push for it.) I don't really care for most English comedies either.

I'm not sure there is anything on right now that I am totally enamored by. I don't have much of an attention span so my husband and I are still trying to make our way through Lost. (We started watching it on Netflix probably two or three years ago and we're not even halfway through season four. )

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,170,731 times
Funny how people are mentioning Homeland as an example of a good drama...I watched all of S1 and thought it was over-the-top, contrived, totally implausible and took itself way too seriously. Plus, I hated all the characters. If Brody blew them all up, including himself, it would be no big loss.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,445,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
Funny how people are mentioning Homeland as an example of a good drama...I watched all of S1 and thought it was over-the-top, contrived, totally implausible and took itself way too seriously. Plus, I hated all the characters. If Brody blew them all up, including himself, it would be no big loss.
It's not for everyone. The show has a certain style to it. Pretty much incorporates all the elements from 24, just more character-based.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 AM

29,765 posts, read 34,474,741 times
I watch dramas more than anything. I tend to actually like procedural because they're pretty mindless, and you only have to commit to one episode. There may be overarching story arcs, but if you tune in once you see them solve the mystery or cure the sick or whatever in 42 minutes and you can get on with your day. The few comedies I watch aren't the laugh track variety. I like the aforementioned Community, Parks and Rec, New Girl, that sort of thing.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM

50,410 posts, read 64,161,814 times
One show that makes me laugh SOMETIMES is Big Bang Theory, especially when Mayim Bialik's character is on. She is the funniest lovesick neurobiologist ever. The episode when she gets sick and makes Sheldon take care of her is so funny.

Another show that makes me laugh is The Middle. The teenage daughter, Sue, is endlessly optimistic no matter what. She cracks me up. Since we had a bunch of kids, back in the day, some of the situations are painfully true.

Big Bang definitely has a laugh track, which is awful, but I'm not sure about the Middle.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,179,692 times
If the focus is on any of the legions of clone cop shows, I agree that there is no valid reason for watching any of them unless you are the sort who enjoys seeing the same formula again and again and again.

We should construct a guidebook which codifies the rules for tv cop/detective programs. For example, all paired cops must have opposite personalities. They should probably just name the shows after the selected personalities traits rather than the names of the cops like "Starsky and Hutch" or "Rizzoli and Isles." The shows could be "Calculating and Hunch Playing", or "Methodical and Mercurial" or "Sloppy Grump and Bon Vivant Dandy".....like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV