Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times

Advertisements

..Chuck Woolery have a job? I remember being a kid and being able to watch game shows all afternoon it seemed like. And Chuck was always the best host.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
I like game shows, too, but there's a dearth of them these days. I believe it has something to do with talk shows being cheaper. That'll eventually be the death knell for soaps, too.

I remember when they used to be on in the evening, too. Family Feud tried an evening outing a few years back. I tuned in but, not surprisingly, had to tune out due to the suggestive questions (the daytime version appears to have gone that route, too). Also, of course, it had to have celebrity contestants since what else is there? That was so bad and full of scatology, I believe it was canned after the first couple of episodes.

So, I guess it's just Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! for the time being.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,536 times
Game shows have largely been replaced by reality television. Now, instead of watching a housewife from Peoria guess the price of a bottle of ketchup, viewers see unemployed millenials perform various degrading tasks in an effort to be the last one on the island.

Both types of shows allow ordinary people (i.e., non-actors) to compete for prizes. In fact, the distinction between traditional game shows and modern reality shows is rather fuzzy at times.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:22 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Game shows have largely been replaced by reality television. Now, instead of watching a housewife from Peoria guess the price of a bottle of ketchup, viewers see unemployed millenials perform various degrading tasks in an effort to be the last one on the island.

Both types of shows allow ordinary people (i.e., non-actors) to compete for prizes. In fact, the distinction between traditional game shows and modern reality shows is rather fuzzy at times.

No, the distinction is not fuzzy. I think most people who remember them know what a "traditional" game show is and don't confuse it with the likes of Survivor, etc.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,765,864 times
Where are the game shows you ask? On Game Show Network. It's fun to watch all the shows (and of course the hosts) I grew up with. Sad to say daytime as we knew it from our youth is long gone. Soaps and game shows have been replaced by talk shows. Most of them clones of The View. Nowadays I either sleep, watch food network or something saved on my DVR when I have a weekday off

Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,437 times
Game shows were awesome in the 80's. Press Your Luck. The price is right with Bob Barker. Does anyone remember Card Sharks? I think it was on at 10 or 10:30 am here on CBS.

The $25,000 pyramid. I loved the jingles and songs used. The 80's I think were the epitome of game shows. Also, Double Dare on nickelodeon. Corny, but still very popular. Shows then had good hosts. They could stand on their own, do their job.

TV sure has gone downhill, with....swamp people? Hill billys?

I'm kind of surprised Wheel and Jeopardy have lasted so long. Maybe it has to do with the distribution deal they set up. They must have had a long contract.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:58 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
The ones I enjoyed from many decades ago were: I've Got a Secret; What's My Line; Name that Tune; To Tell the Truth; and of course Grocho Marx's You Bet Your Life.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:21 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,184,653 times
In our area the local stations show game shows between the news ending at 7PM and network programming starting at 8PM .We also have a couple of morning shows. I would put Wayne Brady up with any of the old timers.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,605,317 times
I liked Press your luck, Card Sharks and Scrabble.

Scrabble (1989) Chuck Woolery ... Bobbi vs. Ed w/ o/c - YouTube

Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,115 times
Chuck Woolery is in his 70s, people do like to retire sometimes. But his Wiki page says he is the official outdoor spokesman for QVC.

I used to watch a lot of game shows as a kid, but I don't know that they were any better than reality tv. It's all equally mindless fluff (except perhaps for Jeopardy!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV