Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:32 PM

384 posts, read 595,850 times

Advertisements

I started watching Season 1 of "Fringe" on Netflix and am having a hard time getting very interested in continuing.

I am through 5 episodes.

Does it get better? Is there a payoff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:40 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
I personally thought it was a great series and got better, the final season was a tad disappointing the way way they finished the show though.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:19 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
I started watching Season 1 of "Fringe" on Netflix and am having a hard time getting very interested in continuing.

I am through 5 episodes.

Does it get better? Is there a payoff?
I'm with you. I keep trying to like this show, but I get so bored that I haven't been able to finish the first season. It isn't bad. It just isn't thrilling. It's so-so at best.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:22 PM

582 posts, read 778,929 times
It was a good series if you like that type of scifi.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:14 PM

653 posts, read 816,205 times
it does. season 4 is a disappointment but I like what they did for the 5th and final season

Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 PM

475 posts, read 648,457 times
Seasons 1-3 were excellent. Season 4 wandered and seemed lost at times but was not as bad as season 5 which was a totally different story unplanned and basically a thank you to the fans from the Fox Exec who loved the show and single-handedly kept it on the air. I believe that season 5 actually hurt the series and left a bad taste in many fans mouths so to speak..

Old 12-14-2013, 07:02 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
It was a good series if you like that type of scifi.
But I do like that type of sci fi. I loved The X-Files. I can still site down and watch on episode of the X-Files and thoroughly enjoy it.

Based on what I've seen of Fringe, it's just the X-Files with a slightly different (and blander) flavor. Nothing new, and nothing that makes me want to keep watching. But again, I've only been able to make it through 6 or 7 episodes. After that, I'm too bored to keep watching. When does it get better???

Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,186,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertrek50 View Post
Seasons 1-3 were excellent. Season 4 wandered and seemed lost at times but was not as bad as season 5 which was a totally different story unplanned and basically a thank you to the fans from the Fox Exec who loved the show and single-handedly kept it on the air. I believe that season 5 actually hurt the series and left a bad taste in many fans mouths so to speak..
I loved the final season. It wrapped the whole show up. I don't see how it could have left a "bad taste" for any fan but that's just MO.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:11 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But I do like that type of sci fi. I loved The X-Files. I can still site down and watch on episode of the X-Files and thoroughly enjoy it.

Based on what I've seen of Fringe, it's just the X-Files with a slightly different (and blander) flavor. Nothing new, and nothing that makes me want to keep watching. But again, I've only been able to make it through 6 or 7 episodes. After that, I'm too bored to keep watching. When does it get better???
YES! YES! YES! YES! I watched all 5 seasons and miss this show horribly. It is a more narrowly focused X-files like show focusing on fringe science.

The series really takes off in season three when it becomes apparent what length (Einstein like) Walter Bishop did resurrect his deceased son and the bigger consequence of it all. I know I am giving out spoilers, but the show has been off the air for over a year now.

There is also a bigger shocker in season four that to this day, I still can not wrap my head around at all- it gives me a headache.

As for the first season, if I were you- I would take notes because the writers were dropping hints like crazy through out the season as to the overall direction the series would go. I didn't realize it until after the series concluded and I started rewatching earlier episodes.

Also if you watch each episode carefully you will see an appearance of an observer. If not in the story itself, in the background in certain scenes. It is said these 'beings' appeared in every episode of the show- and they played an integral part of the show in the final seasons. Especially the final season.

What I would really like to see is a crossover between this show and the Xfiles. Mulder and Scully worked for the FBI in Washington DC, While Dunham and her team worked for the FBI in Boston. I would be great to see both teams work on a case together maybe something of epic proportions? Hey Chris Carter you need to call J.J Abrams.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,452 times
Default Keep watching!

Please keep watching! It does get better and there are some moments that are jaw dropping.

What I loved about this series is that it was creative with the main story line. It will take you places that you will never see coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV