Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 08:44 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times

Advertisements

just watched a colorized episode of i love lucy and i was wondering how do they pick the colors?
do they pick colors that are easy to colorize or look good on tv or do they actually do research to see what the original colors were?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 09:50 PM

23,451 posts, read 12,487,658 times
If they know the colors, through publicity photos or props, then they will try to reproduce those colors. If they don't know the colors then they will use the different shades of gray to determine if they should use a light or a dark color. But as far as deciding on a color, for example a light green versus a light blue, they probably just wing it.
I don't like colorized shows, the colorization just looks off to me.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:55 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I don't usually like colorized color either but I saw the "I Love Lucy" show last week and it looked very natural to me. Maybe it WAS in color back then. IDK we only had a b&w tv. I think Desilu was one of the first productions to use color.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,469 times
If they were filming in BW, colors of costumes and sets were chosen on how they would appear in shades of grey -- how much contrast in the pattern, would they show up as black or grey -- so sometimes when you see a photo of the set or costume in color, it looks horrible! There's a photo of either the Munsters or the Addams family set floating around somewhere, and I think the walls are bright pink! You'd never know, though, from the BW tape.

Wasn't that Lucy Christmas episode shot in color?

Old 12-26-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
If they were filming in BW, colors of costumes and sets were chosen on how they would appear in shades of grey -- how much contrast in the pattern, would they show up as black or grey -- so sometimes when you see a photo of the set or costume in color, it looks horrible! There's a photo of either the Munsters or the Addams family set floating around somewhere, and I think the walls are bright pink! You'd never know, though, from the BW tape.

Wasn't that Lucy Christmas episode shot in color?
Both of the episodes in the Christmas Special (The Christmas Episode and Lucy's Italian Movie) were made in '56 and they were shot in black and white. I only got to see snippets of the Christmas Special , but when I walked through the room "The Christmas Episode" was on and I could immediately tell that it had been colorized. (I wish I'd had the time to watch that episode since it has rarely been aired) When I walked back through the room a little later the "Lucy's Italian Movie" episode was on and, imo, they did a better job in colorizing it where it wasn't quite as glaringly obvious, but I knew that particular episode was originally in black and white.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:36 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
just watched a colorized episode of i love lucy and i was wondering how do they pick the colors?
do they pick colors that are easy to colorize or look good on tv or do they actually do research to see what the original colors were?
I wondered the same thing. I loved watching it and I'm amazed they haven't colorized the whole series. If any show deserves it, this one does. I love for it to bring in the younger set, so they could enjoy a nice clean funny show.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:39 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
I used to colorize black and white films and tv shows... many years ago. I don't know how the palette was chosen, but I do know that a master palette would be created for each show. It was an interesting process, and a fun job.

At the company I worked at, shots were rated from one to four stars, depending on how much movement and complexity were in them. You could colorize hundreds of one-star frames in a shift, but if you were assigned four-star shots, you might only be able to finish twenty to thirty in 8 hours.

In four-star shots, the camera would be moving, and the people/animals in the shot would also be moving, so when the color was dumped onto the next frame, very little of it would match. You would then have to clean all the color up in the frame, making sure that everything matched.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
There's a photo of either the Munsters or the Addams family set floating around somewhere, and I think the walls are bright pink! You'd never know, though, from the BW tape.
That's the Addam's Family.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
That's the Addam's Family.
I loved watching that show, but I never noticed the candlesticks that are shown in that picture (far right, under the moose head) ... coiled up snakes with the mouths wide open to hold the candles
It was a great show and the cast couldn't be beat.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I enjoyed the two I Love Lucy Christmas shows that were colorized and I think they did a great job on the color. However, I dont know if I'd like to see the entire series in color. I watch Lucy every day and have seen every episode at least 10 times. For me, colorization might detract from the feel of the show.

I feel this way about most, if not all, of the old TV shows. I like The Andy Griffith Show reruns very much too, but I enjoy the b&w episodes much more than I do the color ones (the show went to color in 1965) And it wasnt just that Don Knotts left about that time.

Maybe I dont want anyone to mess with those b&w shows from the good ole days because they were the good ole days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV