U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM

18,434 posts, read 32,094,703 times

Advertisements

I read these books. Actually I read a lot of her books. I watched some of the movie last night and it was just as bad as the one back in the eighties, imo.

Now, there was another show that is coming on next Saturday that I do want to watch. Lizzie something. I'll have to finish the rest of last nights movie and see what it is so I can record it..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM

6,469 posts, read 4,710,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I read these books. Actually I read a lot of her books. I watched some of the movie last night and it was just as bad as the one back in the eighties, imo.

Now, there was another show that is coming on next Saturday that I do want to watch. Lizzie something. I'll have to finish the rest of last nights movie and see what it is so I can record it..
Next weeks movie is about Lizzie Borden. I won't give any more away if you never heard of her but it sounds interesting. I'll have to set my DVR.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 PM

17,700 posts, read 37,541,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Next weeks movie is about Lizzie Borden. I won't give any more away if you never heard of her but it sounds interesting. I'll have to set my DVR.
Christina Ricci plays Lizzie … should be interesting.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 PM

12,478 posts, read 16,496,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Christina Ricci plays Lizzie … should be interesting.

she's a good actress but I've seen the movie with Elizabeth Montgomery and not sure anyone could play Lizzie Borden better.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:45 PM

16,027 posts, read 24,671,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I recall seeing the movie with Victoria Tenant (was married to Steve Martin ) and felt it didn't properly depict what the author had portrayed in the book. Kind of a fluff version but perhaps was better for me to watch it than the one coming on tonight.After seeing a quick preview of tonight's Lifetime version, it seems very much in keeping with the story line of the books. Perhaps too heavy and deep for me at this point and time
Pippy I was thinking the same thing. The first movie was horrible, I was so disappointed, and bored. This does seem entirely to deep, strange how things change when you are older.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,621,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
I *thought* so! I know I read all of them.

The 1st movie in the 80's stunk badly which is saying a lot since this wasn't exactly a literary masterpiece. But what can I say, I loved the books as a teenager. I also read several of the other books such as My Sweet Audrina, Heaven series, etc. VC Andrews (or whoever was writing them at that point) sure stuck with a theme!
I read them all as well *embarrassed*. I went to the theatre to see the movie, I remember it being terrible. I eventually grew out of VC Andrews, and on to another stinker- Danielle Steele, ugh. I have definitely grown in my literary selections, mostly non-fiction and biography's now. In my defense though, I was like all of 13-14 years old at the time.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 101,251,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Parents let their teenage daughters read that book?

My mother would have slapped it out of my hands and burned it, and I was in my mid-20s when it came out. LOL
My parents didn't care what we read. They were just happy if we read. Whenever I complained about being bored, my father would go to the shelves and hand me a book---usually shocking classics that were popular at book burnings.

I'm glad my instincts were right about this movie. I didn't bother watching it.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 4,770,660 times
I was really looking forward to the movie because of how the books kept me on the edge of my seat back in the 80's, but I found it to be watered down, with bad acting. I think I would of enjoyed this movie more when I was 12. The grandmother looked like she was wearing too much fake set makeup, and the oldest daughter didn't look the part at all. She seemed frumpy and I couldn't get over her cheesy dyed blonde hair and bushy dark eyebrows. The ending left me feeling...meh...

Old 01-19-2014, 11:14 PM

75 posts, read 182,344 times
I actually thought it was good. I thought the acting was bad. But I enjoyed it and it followed the book so much better then the first movie

Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 AM

569 posts, read 617,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My parents didn't care what we read. They were just happy if we read. Whenever I complained about being bored, my father would go to the shelves and hand me a book---usually shocking classics that were popular at book burnings.

I'm glad my instincts were right about this movie. I didn't bother watching it.
We must have had the same parents!

The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but the bar wasnt real high. In response to another poster I also saw the original in the theater. I dragged 2 male friends to it who snarked through the whole thing. I owed them big!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV