Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:35 AM

16,174 posts, read 32,346,170 times

Advertisements

If you were a teenage girl in the 1980's you no doubt remember the VC Andrews book Flowers in the Attic. This book is being brought to life in movie form tonight on Lifetime. The world premiere is tonight, January 18th at 8/7.

Flowers in the Attic | myLifetime.com

[Official] Flowers in the Attic Trailer - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 11:49 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,775,864 times
I remember this! It was sssooo trashy in that way only a teenage girl would love LOL. This movie better be super campy or I'll be mad. This is the one with the twins and the incest right? There were 3 books? I think I read them all, at the time I thought it was so deep. Heh.

Last edited by Tinawina; 01-18-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,210,378 times
I read the book "post teenage" years - and several times since.

Very disturbing story.

I believe I read the subsequent (wasn't there a prequel, too?) books, too, but I can't remember if V.C. Andrews wrote those; at some point, she passed away and her family took over the V.C. Andrews industry, writing all the other series of various books under the name (if I remember correctly - I'll have to google it later and see if I'm remembering it accurately).

I also remember watching the first "Flowers in the Attic" movie, starring Victoria Tenant as the kids' mom.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,730,384 times
I read all three books, and I think might be the second or third movie version of the first book.

To think that a book about incest and child abuse would be so popular back then! Geez I feel very old!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:06 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,761,928 times
I read the entire series. It was so scandalous! Interestingly, my teen has not even glanced toward these books, or even (gasp) Judy Blume! I did flinch when I saw the previews for the movie. Once was enough.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:14 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I read the book "post teenage" years - and several times since.

Very disturbing story.

I believe I read the subsequent (wasn't there a prequel, too?) books, too, but I can't remember if V.C. Andrews wrote those; at some point, she passed away and her family took over the V.C. Andrews industry, writing all the other series of various books under the name (if I remember correctly - I'll have to google it later and see if I'm remembering it accurately).

I also remember watching the first "Flowers in the Attic" movie, starring Victoria Tenant as the kids' mom.

I recall seeing the movie with Victoria Tenant (was married to Steve Martin ) and felt it didn't properly depict what the author had portrayed in the book. Kind of a fluff version but perhaps was better for me to watch it than the one coming on tonight.After seeing a quick preview of tonight's Lifetime version, it seems very much in keeping with the story line of the books. Perhaps too heavy and deep for me at this point and time

Old 01-18-2014, 12:19 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,210,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I recall seeing the movie with Victoria Tenant (was married to Steve Martin ) and felt it didn't properly depict what the author had portrayed in the book. Kind of a fluff version but perhaps was better for me to watch it than the one coming on tonight.After seeing a quick preview of tonight's Lifetime version, it seems very much in keeping with the story line of the books. Perhaps too heavy and deep for me at this point and time
To be honest, I'm kind of thinking the same thing - it might be too intense for me right now.

I don't know - I'll come here and read all about it and see what others say. My curiosity may end up getting the better of me.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:36 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,346,170 times
My DVR is set! I won't be home to watch it tonight but I can't wait!

Old 01-18-2014, 12:53 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,991,478 times
Thanks for the heads up ! I recall this was a book I could not put down and when the second one came out I was ecstatic. But I felt the third got away from the story and I gave up reading them at that time.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:54 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,157,341 times
I remember going to see the first film in the theater, and just re-watched it a few months ago on Netflix. It was pretty campy, and annoying that they totally glossed over the whole incest thing. That's kind of a major plot point! I really dislike Heather Graham, but I'll probably watch this anyway. I'm not expecting anything that will win awards...it's Lifetime after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV