Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 03:32 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,067,895 times

Advertisements

Pulaski or Crusher?

Me, I'd say Pulaski because she was separate enough from the others that the role of Doctor did not become a major focus on many of the episodes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:02 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,387,706 times
I like Dr. Pulaski too, though I know many others don't feel the same way. The show tried to make her like Dr. McCoy and tried to create a McCoy/Spock rivalry with Pulaski and Data. Though I do think her prejudice towards Data felt forced and contrived. Otherwise, I liked her attitude and how she liked to challenge Capt. Picard.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:36 AM

2,081 posts, read 1,612,799 times
I never could quite believe that Beverly was an actual doctor; she always looked like a model, with perfect hair, never any sign of the emotional wear and tear in being responsible for people's health all the time. I have never seen a real doctor, even attractive ones, look so decorative while they are working. Pulaski was an attractive woman who also exuded the grit of a longtime professional and someone who handled all manner of health problems/conditions. I do think the Pulaski-Data conflict was very poorly written; though I think Diana Muldaur did her best with the material.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,387,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I never could quite believe that Beverly was an actual doctor; she always looked like a model, with perfect hair, never any sign of the emotional wear and tear in being responsible for people's health all the time. I have never seen a real doctor, even attractive ones, look so decorative while they are working. Pulaski was an attractive woman who also exuded the grit of a longtime professional and someone who handled all manner of health problems/conditions. I do think the Pulaski-Data conflict was very poorly written; though I think Diana Muldaur did her best with the material.
Diana Muldaur, being older than Gates McFadden, probably exuded more gravitas. But considering her age, I doubt that Muldaur would have lasted with the show long enough to make all the TNG movies that came out after the show ended.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:56 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,456,607 times
Never liked Dr. Crusher.
Too emotional/touchy/feely for a doctor. Sometimes her critical judgement went out the window.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:57 AM

17,658 posts, read 15,358,819 times
I preferred Crusher as the doctor. Gave the love angle with Picard, which was never really fully developed, but..

Pulaski was too McCoy.. There's a limit to making them similar to a character.. Spock and Data were similar.. Pulaski and McCoy were basically the same with one being female, the other male. Transporter phobia, grouchy, etc..

Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,811,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I like Dr. Pulaski too, though I know many others don't feel the same way. The show tried to make her like Dr. McCoy and tried to create a McCoy/Spock rivalry with Pulaski and Data. Though I do think her prejudice towards Data felt forced and contrived. Otherwise, I liked her attitude and how she liked to challenge Capt. Picard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I agree with both these assessments, but I find fault with both too. How could a gritty old fashioned country doctor exist so far in the future? So what if Beverly is too pretty and too put together? All she has to do is talk to her WebMDdotcom supercomputer and then press a universal treatment stick against their neck and they are cured.

Give me Crusher.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,281,526 times
I have been binge-watching ST-TNG and had forgotten Dr. Pulaski was only on one season; she made an impression and I thought she was on longer. I never even thought of the Pulaski/McCoy parallel until seeing it mentioned so often online, and really didn't think about it when watching Season 2. I would like to have seen the character stick around longer.

Dr. Crusher was described as 'wispy' on another forum and I thought the description fit. Something about the delivery of her lines really grated on me and I wanted to like the character more than I did, especially since she was often featured.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,295,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
That's one of the things I liked about having Pulaski there, since while Picard pointedly considers Data an individual and a citizen many others do not. She's reflecting that attitude. She brings in some of the counter to the idea that everyone in the Federation is as egalitarian and idealistic as the Enterprise crew. It makes sense that as this is the premier ship of the line, they'd want the best there and would leave the norm on the middling ships.

Overall, I loved DS9 more than tng because we didn't see the idealistic view of starfleet which TNG promoted and Picard tried hard to maintain. And the young idealistic doctor looking for 'frontier medicine' who quickly discovered it wasn't anything like he expected was quite believable.

Last edited by nightbird47; 02-10-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 PM

17,658 posts, read 15,358,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Overall, I loved DS9 more than tng because we didn't see the idealistic view of starfleet which TNG promoted and Picard tried hard to maintain. And the young idealistic doctor looking for 'frontier medicine' who quickly discovered it wasn't anything like he expected was quite believable.
Oh, I hated Bashir.. Just never liked the smarmy portrayal of him. Honestly, out of the "new" series (TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT) I thought the EMH Doctor was the best doctor of them all. Honestly, seemed like he got the majority of Voyager stories.. Until Seven of Nine came along to try to boost ratings in her skin tight clothing.

Do have to say.. I like the portrayal of McCoy in the reboots. He's the one character that I really think comes close to capturing the magic of the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV