U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:10 PM

9,924 posts, read 5,864,677 times

Advertisements

Oh, I'm so glad I noticed this thread! I love the books, and will definitely want to give this show a watch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:40 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,595 posts, read 5,461,369 times
Just watched S1E4. It gets better as it progresses......

Old 02-18-2015, 06:12 AM

988 posts, read 897,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I always thought he should have a turntable and records, too. I just read about this new turntable from Pioneer, sort of a replacement for the Technics 1210. You can get it with a cartridge for under $699. PLX-1000 - Professional Turntable | Pioneer Electronics USA

What turntable did you buy?
I opted for the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with an acrylic platter. There is much discussion regarding which is better, direct drive or belt drive, many people feel there is more noise / vibration with direct drive. I like the Pro-Ject as it is belt driven and a highly rated TT. I currently have an Ortofon cartridge which sounds fabulous, but may try a Grado when it's time for a replacement.

Quote:
7143 Woodrow Wilson Drive is the address of Harry Bosch's house. I always imagined something cantilevered had to be this modern. Harry Bosch's House? - MichaelConnelly.com Message Board
I've only been to California a handful of times and am not really familiar with the area. For some reason I had it in my head that his home was dark wood, with an open air porch overlooking the lights of the city.

Quote:
The Last Coyote (1995) is the book that introduces the Northridge earthquake (January, 1994) damage that happened to Harry's house. The Last Coyote (1995) - Novels - MichaelConnelly.com

I've reread a lot of them. I lived in Los Angeles once, and I miss it.
I thought I remembered something about the earthquake damaging his home. I really will have to dig out the early books (that are probably boxed up in the basement right now) I do most of my reading on my iPad or Kindle these days... might just have to splurge and buy a few of them in digital format.

I'm not really familiar with LA, and only know of certain sites because of the books. It was nice to see Angel's Flight in the pilot!

Quote:
I heard Harry use the phrase "lost light" somewhere in Bosch. The book of that name begins where the show left off, as he resigns from the LAPD. Lost Light (2003) - Novels - MichaelConnelly.com This would seem an obvious place to start up again.
Agreed, it would make perfect sense to pick up the story there. Harry mentioned 'lost light' while talking to Eleanor in regard to being in the underground trenches. When the soldiers extinguished their headlamps there were a few seconds that the bulbs still glowed - that was what they called lost light.

I always hoped that they'd turn his books into films, but I am so much happier having this adapted as a series. I still haven't seen The Lincoln Lawyer with Matthew McConaghy, but will seek that out. I like the Mickey Haller series, too.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:33 AM

3,628 posts, read 3,062,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
I did not know the link was to the interviewer personality...

Try this link... "IMDb: What to Watch" Bosch (TV Episode 2015) - IMDb

...it goes to the Bosch page. Scroll down a bit to 'Videos | Photos' and you should/might see a film clip. The interview is 7:44 minutes. You should be able to click the video link.
Thanks! Good interview with main actors from the show.

Finished watching the series last night.....I hope they pick it up for another season!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:02 AM

9,154 posts, read 9,277,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
I thought I remembered something about the earthquake damaging his home. I really will have to dig out the early books (that are probably boxed up in the basement right now) I do most of my reading on my iPad or Kindle these days... might just have to splurge and buy a few of them in digital format.
I like to read on my Kindle now. I have arthritis, and holding a book in position for any length of time is painful. I can just put the kindle on a slant board and read lying down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
I always hoped that they'd turn his books into films, but I am so much happier having this adapted as a series.
I like it much more this way, too. The only thing I don't like is that it all takes place now. Harry is a very believable Vietnam vet. Did soldiers dig underground in Iraq the way he did in Vietnam? Harry's claustrophobia is such a part of his character. The most traumatizing thing in Iraq seemed to be breathing in whatever they breathed in that made some vets sick. But I was not in either place. Any Iraq vets watching Bosch?

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM

988 posts, read 897,193 times
Quote:
I like it much more this way, too. The only thing I don't like is that it all takes place now. Harry is a very believable Vietnam vet. Did soldiers dig underground in Iraq the way he did in Vietnam? Harry's claustrophobia is such a part of his character. The most traumatizing thing in Iraq seemed to be breathing in whatever they breathed in that made some vets sick. But I was not in either place. Any Iraq vets watching Bosch?
Curious that you mention this, because it crossed my mind, too. I have no idea if there were any underground trenches like that. But, if they kept Harry as a Vietnam Vet, and still decided to change the time frame to current day rather than keep it in the 90's as written, they'd need an older actor to portray him... perhaps someone like Tommy Lee Jones or Ed Harris?

I think Titus Welliver is very well cast, and it doesn't really bother me that they've adapted the stories to fit today's world. Pay phones used to play a big part in some of the novels, but that just couldn't work now. I think bringing the stories into current day also makes it more appealing to a wider audience.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:11 PM

32,147 posts, read 50,489,465 times
I think his mention about the Gulf War was underground tunnels--like in a city--
but don't really think that is very plausible based on what I have read about the Gulf War--
none of the stories really mentioned that type of warfare--

Old 02-18-2015, 02:25 PM

28,647 posts, read 31,822,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think his mention about the Gulf War was underground tunnels--like in a city--
but don't really think that is very plausible based on what I have read about the Gulf War--
none of the stories really mentioned that type of warfare--
Troops discover tunnel networks | Daily Mail Online

Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM

32,147 posts, read 50,489,465 times
thanks
interesting info
don't recall seeing anything about that on war news

Old 02-18-2015, 07:23 PM

1,272 posts, read 1,516,066 times
I had never even heard of this character until I saw the series show up on Amazon Prime. I watched the pilot and while I can't say it grabbed me right away, I figured I'd continue and found I was more into it after the second episode.

Since I haven't read the books I didn't have any preconceived ideas about the characters; I do find the lead character believable in his role, along with all the other characters so far.

I know it is impossible to fit an entire book into a movie or series, so since I am unfamiliar with the books I don't know what might be missing. If I get into a reading mood, I may check the books out.

It's always fun finding a new series to get into on Prime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or