U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:29 AM

988 posts, read 897,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'm now reading Echo Park, in Chapter 17 of which Harry has to change into scrubs at a hospital, and the person giving them to him decides that Medium would be the proper size.
i just re-read it a few weeks ago, too!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM

8,337 posts, read 4,576,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet3 View Post
Curious that you mention this, because it crossed my mind, too. I have no idea if there were any underground trenches like that. But, if they kept Harry as a Vietnam Vet, and still decided to change the time frame to current day rather than keep it in the 90's as written, they'd need an older actor to portray him... perhaps someone like Tommy Lee Jones or Ed Harris?

I think Titus Welliver is very well cast, and it doesn't really bother me that they've adapted the stories to fit today's world. Pay phones used to play a big part in some of the novels, but that just couldn't work now. I think bringing the stories into current day also makes it more appealing to a wider audience.

I do remember though that the Gulf War was such a boon to action adventurer writers and films since the Vietnam generation were all going well into "The Expendables" generation and it was becoming increasingly difficult to buy the Vietnam vets as the world's best fighters as cops and spies. The big problem was being in an armored vehicle and blowing through a formation of Iraqis whose survivors surrendered to embedded news crews did not leave an heroic and gritty enough back story for the next generation Rambo's
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Like the last OP I wasn't sure if Titus Welliver could deliver but while he wasn't the Bosch I had pictured in my mind reading the novels (my Bosch was bigger/more physical) I thought Welliver did an excellent job...
--
I guess I read the books a lifetime ago when I read Vietnam War memoirs and novels. If anything Titus Welliver was too big an actor for me since Tunnel Rats tended to be shorter smaller statures soldiers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've read all the books but so sporadically stretched out over the years I get everything mixed up between Bosch and Joe Pike and others.

I think I always imagined Bosch a little less buffed out/masculine. The music, the living in his head. I think I imagined him something more like....Elvis Costello? Old suit, glasses, big but a little nerdy. Yah, IDK I think my mind has left the bldg LOL

Old 05-17-2015, 08:01 AM

19,773 posts, read 17,722,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I read the books a lifetime ago when I read Vietnam War memoirs and novels. If anything Titus Welliver was too big an actor for me since Tunnel Rats tended to be shorter smaller statures soldiers.
"Michael Connelly On Bringing Harry Bosch to the Small Screen:

Q: What did Bosch look like in your mind? Was he anything like Titus Welliver, the actor playing him in the series?

A: I don't describe him very often. In 18 books, it adds up to maybe four pages. Titus doesn't match the image in my head but I don't think that matters a lot. The one feature I describe often in the book is Bosch's dark-brown, piercing eyes. Titus has very pale eyes. But it's not about the eyes, it's what behind the eyes and that's what I saw in Titus. I was aware that he had a lot of real tragedy in his life and you can see it in his face. [Several of his siblings died young as did his third wife.] That matters more than whether he has a mustache and brown eyes.
"

http://www.newsweek.com/michael-conn...-screen-309429

Old 06-04-2015, 04:58 PM

14,155 posts, read 20,279,442 times
I finally got around to watching the pilot a couple days ago. I liked it so much that I binge watched the whole first season and finished it early this morning (damn ephedrine kept me up all night) and I thought the show was great. Definitely looking forward to the second season.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 AM

8,101 posts, read 14,116,682 times
I'm reviving this dormant thread since I just finished binge-watching Bosch over the last week or so. I liked it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I checked online at Amazon for the Kindle books. 18 or 19 in the series? The cheapest were $5.99 for the Kindle edition. Guess I'll be checking at the local library........
That's funny ... whenever I find a new author, I read a couple of their books, then if I like the first couple, I splurge on all the rest. To me there is nothing better for $100 than a dozen books that will keep me happily reading (for a few weeks!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"Michael Connelly On Bringing Harry Bosch to the Small Screen:

Q: What did Bosch look like in your mind? Was he anything like Titus Welliver, the actor playing him in the series?

A: I don't describe him very often. In 18 books, it adds up to maybe four pages. Titus doesn't match the image in my head but I don't think that matters a lot. The one feature I describe often in the book is Bosch's dark-brown, piercing eyes. Titus has very pale eyes. But it's not about the eyes, it's what behind the eyes and that's what I saw in Titus. I was aware that he had a lot of real tragedy in his life and you can see it in his face. [Several of his siblings died young as did his third wife.] That matters more than whether he has a mustache and brown eyes."
I'm a little confused by this ... totally coincidentally, in the past week while I was watching Bosch I saw an old episode of Matlock (season 5, episode 5, "The Narc," original air date 10/23/90) -- and I thought, "Is that Titus Welliver?" He had thick brown hair and brown eyes, but his face looked the same (albeit much younger of course). I went back to the credits and sure enough, it was him. Seeing him with brown eyes made me assume he was wearing blue contact lenses for the Bosch role. I have read all the Bosch books but frankly didn't remember what color Bosch's eyes were.

It would seem odd to me that he was wearing brown contact lenses for the Matlock part 25 years ago. So I'm a bit confused. Not that it really matters, I just noticed because of the chance spotting of Welliver from the old show!

====

When is season 2 due? I am looking forward to it!

Old 12-04-2015, 09:06 AM

988 posts, read 897,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

When is season 2 due? I am looking forward to it!
It's currently in production, and should be available for streaming early next year.

Bosch Back In Production For Season 2
Season two will be drawn mainly from Trunk Music with elements from The Drop and The Last Coyote. We expect it to begin streaming in early 2016. Follow along as Michael shares comments, video and photos from the set.

Photos can be found at this link:

BOSCH TV - Extras - MichaelConnelly.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or