U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:25 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,574 posts, read 5,440,735 times

Advertisements

Just watched S1E1 on Amazon instant video. Very promising. Two actors from The Wire so far (I guess Amazon is stealing HBO actors). It is a hoot seeing Milo (the drug kingpin from The Wire) playing a homicide detective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 09:21 PM

10,760 posts, read 5,364,614 times
Thanks for reminding me of the title, I had forgotten about it (and the name made me think of the painter, not a crime drama tv show).

Had heard of it from seeing ad in magazine with Titus Welliver pictured (whom I recall from first season of The Good Wife)
but had to look up other cast: Lance Reddick and Jamie Hector (from The Wire).
Haven't checked it out yet, not sure what the conceit/twist is (type of police procedural), but it could be good.
I'll probably wait a few days & then give it a try (am finishing up Breaking Bad right now).

Old 02-13-2015, 11:14 PM

11,123 posts, read 8,839,002 times
All 10 episodes of season 1 are now available.

I had mixed feelings about the pilot. The writing and production value were top-notch but Titus Welliver for me didn't deliver. I'll watch the next few episodes with fingers crossed that he improves and the series is a success.
Even if it doesn't measure up, it'll still likely be better than most series on network and cable TV.

Streaming TV (i.e. original series via venues like Amazon and Netflix) are to cable what cable was to network.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:30 PM

32,134 posts, read 50,387,046 times
Default MAYBE some spoilers...

Like the last OP I wasn't sure if Titus Welliver could deliver but while he wasn't the Bosch I had pictured in my mind reading the novels (my Bosch was bigger/more physical) I thought Welliver did an excellent job...
The guy playing his partner Jerry was Marlo on The Wire and some of the same things that worked for Marlo (the lack of affect) don't really help the actor in the role of detective/sidekick...

The actress playing the female cop Harry has an affair with did great job even in the early scenes at showing why Harry should have kept his distance

There are some great supporting actors--Veronica Cartwright, Richard Grecco, Lance Reddick, Amy Aquino and the location shooting is very good--at least the way they make you THINK this is LA...
so many things from the novels--like Harry's house in the canyon--are just spot on...
I wish the theme song would have been more jazz-y cause that was Harry's type of music...

I finished watching last night and was sorry I rushed through the series so quickly--
Maybe I will rest my memory and try an episode or two at a time a little while later...

I also don't know anyone who watched it and frankly having people to talk with about the episodes are something I enjoy--

Old 02-14-2015, 08:30 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,574 posts, read 5,440,735 times
Just watched E2. Liking it more. Taking my time though....... Never read the books, but perhaps I will.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:45 PM

9,154 posts, read 9,255,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Like the last OP I wasn't sure if Titus Welliver could deliver but while he wasn't the Bosch I had pictured in my mind reading the novels (my Bosch was bigger/more physical) I thought Welliver did an excellent job...
The guy playing his partner Jerry was Marlo on The Wire and some of the same things that worked for Marlo (the lack of affect) don't really help the actor in the role of detective/sidekick...
I just finished watching the entire show, and I thought it was pretty terrific (it would have to be, in order to get my attention like this). I've been reading the Harry Bosch books since the first one came out in 1992, so the actors I've always pictured are somewhat older. More like Gene Hackman as Bosch, and Clark Johnson (Homicide's Meldrick Lewis) as Jerry. I like Welliver, however, and had no problem with Jamie Hector as Jerry Edgar.

Quote:
The actress playing the female cop Harry has an affair with did great job even in the early scenes at showing why Harry should have kept his distance
I've liked Annie Wersching in everything I've seen her in, starting with 24.

Quote:
There are some great supporting actors--Veronica Cartwright, Richard Grecco, Lance Reddick, Amy Aquino
Loved them all. Who did Richard Greco play?

Quote:
and the location shooting is very good--at least the way they make you THINK this is LA...so many things from the novels--like Harry's house in the canyon--are just spot on...
Was it not shot in LA? There were -- I thought -- recognizable street signs and intersections, and Venice, where Julia Brasher lived, looked just like the canal area of Venice.

Quote:
I wish the theme song would have been more jazz-y cause that was Harry's type of music...
Agreed. I didn't like the theme music.

Quote:
I also don't know anyone who watched it and frankly having people to talk with about the episodes are something I enjoy--
Well, I'm here.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:19 PM

4,800 posts, read 11,089,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Just watched E2. Liking it more. Taking my time though....... Never read the books, but perhaps I will.
I've read the book this season is based on, but darned if I can remember it as I read it so many years ago, so I don't remember the ending. All the better to watch it I guess. I liked the pilot and look forward to watching the rest.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:58 AM

6,100 posts, read 10,060,217 times
This show has been utterly below my radar until this morning--where I read about it in a Scandinavian paper! Which I was reading because of the terror events in Copenhagen. Apparently the series is being shown on HBO Nordic over there. But how do we watch it here? Do you have to subscribe to some Amazon streaming video, or what? I like the Bosch novels, so I'd definitely want to give it a try.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:40 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,579,477 times
Clark, the program is an Amazon product so yeah, the only place to see it (far as I know) is streaming on Amazon TV.

Others above, there's an interview on imdb with Welliver, Hector (the partner detective), and executive producer Michael Connelly, 7:44.

I had watched the first episode a couple of days earlier but kept dozing off. So last night I plugged in the last fifteen minutes of epi01, then binged the other nine episodes. It got better as it proceeded and I stayed awake for the entire production. Now ready for Season02 since Netflix has taken down Season03 of House of Cards...

Old 02-15-2015, 11:32 AM

32,134 posts, read 50,387,046 times
Think it is strange that someone in Denmark is watching via HBO when Amazon has a nordic presence--
anyway, they can watch it...but wonder if HBO had any money in the deal--that seems very strange bedfellows, doesn't it???

Right now I think it is only available in US to Amazon Prime members--meaning it is free if you pay the yearly fee--and don't think you can buy the episodes individually like you can many television/movie features on Amazon streaming site...
probably trying to drive people to subscribe to Prime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or