Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:08 AM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, yes, the 5-game limit. I remember that. Jeopardy! has undergone a number of changes. I remember when everyone took home their winnings. Unfortunately, though, some contestants "quit playing" by wagering zero in order to take home something, especially if the final category wasn't one they felt confident about.

About the 5-day limit--occasionally, on the 5th day, the champ would wager so that, if the second-place contestant answered correctly in Final Jeopardy, the two would tie scores. That way, the 4-day champ still became a 5-day champ, but one of his fellow contestants returned as the new champ. I always thought that was nice.
When the game was resurrected in 1984, they decided to eliminate the feature where everybody took home whatever they had left at the end of the game. They felt that, when Art Fleming hosted the program (with Don Pardo announcing) that some players wagered to maximize their take home pay in the event of a loss instead of wagering to win.

Sometimes, the thing I try to do is to predict the amount of the wagers in final jeopardy. Wagering correctly is an important part of the game. (Remember Cliff Claven on Cheers?)

I used to think winning 4 games and then coming in second would be the ideal. That was when the second place finisher won a trip.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
About the 5-day limit--occasionally, on the 5th day, the champ would wager so that, if the second-place contestant answered correctly in Final Jeopardy, the two would tie scores. That way, the 4-day champ still became a 5-day champ, but one of his fellow contestants returned as the new champ. I always thought that was nice.

I only saw that happen once, when the 4-day champion was a really personable lady. The guy who was leading going into Final Jeopardy bet just enough to tie the lady if she bet everything and was correct on the question. She did and was, and went to the Tournament of Champions that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 05:32 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
Today's champion Austin Rogers is very weird, but wins large bucks.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Today's champion Austin Rogers is very weird, but wins large bucks.
My friends & I were just talking about that . He is truly strange and is not a likeable guy.
One of those brilliant quirky odd people, I guess.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-06-2017, 07:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
My daughter and I are catching up so we're watching the first episode after Austin won. I kind of like him. He has a bit of a douchey air about him but I like him.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:42 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,693,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
My friends & I were just talking about that . He is truly strange and is not a likeable guy.
It is like he is trying too hard to be different.

Old 10-07-2017, 04:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
This thread is so old I almost repped the second post!

Old 10-07-2017, 05:39 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
It is like he is trying too hard to be different.
I think he's highly intelligent and quite quirky. He was interviewed on GMA and he said he watched hundreds of episodes and noticed that there was a pattern to some answers and he tucked that information away. I'm guessing he's has a couple of college degrees but works as a bartender because it's more fun.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:48 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
You never see a poor person on Jeopardy.

Old 10-07-2017, 06:27 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I might like him if he didn't try so hard to be funny, which he isn't, imo. I'll be glad when he gets beat. Alex seems to enjoy him. I suppose for Alex, he's a pleasant break from the norm.

I don't watch when they have kids on. But even though I don't give a whit about pop culture, I enjoy it when they have celebrities on. That's especially true when morons like Chris Matthews end up in the hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV