Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:19 PM

719 posts, read 1,059,948 times

Advertisements

Who was you favorite character? your least favorite?

My favorite character was Maurice. He talked tough but in many ways his bark was worse than his bite

Here is Chris' toast to Maurice.

Maurice J. Minnifield, our generous host, friend, and employer. I'm sure I join everyone in saying thank you for these very fine eats and drinks. You are a real American. You're an ex-marine and astronaut, you are America. You're rich, you're rapacious, you're progress without a conscience, paving everything in its path. You're 5% of the earth's population, yet consuming 25% of the earth's natural resources. You pay a lot of taxes, you do a lot of charity work--most of it is tax deductible, but your heart is in the right place. One thing's for certain, you have impeccable taste in the booze.

Although I like Anthony Edwards my least favorite character was Mike Monroe "the bubbleman".The character just seemed annoying and wasn't the story line added to the show to prod Rob Morrow into contract negotiations ?

Joel-"I don't understand,where's the rest of the town?!"

Maurice-"Oh it's coming son, it's coming!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 06:06 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I didn't care for the Bubbleman either. I thought he was kind of silly. I loved Ruth Ann Miller played by Peg Phillips. She was kind of the voice of sanity yet she was in her own way, very individualistic as the rest. I heard that like Elaine Miles, she was just a local who they happened to recruit for the show. That's why they both seemed so natural.

Last edited by Minervah; 01-04-2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: added name

Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I didn't care for the Bubbleman either. I thought he was kind of silly. I loved Ruth Ann Miller played by Peg Phillips. She was kind of the voice of sanity yet she was in her own way, very individualistic as the rest. I heard that like Elaine Miles, she was just a local who they happened to recruit for the show. That's why they both seemed so natural.
Elaine Miles drove her mother to the set for her to audition but they like Elaine better but her mother got on the show anyway as Marilyn's mother.

Last edited by senecaman; 01-07-2014 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 PM

This is a repost from earlier but I wanted to see if anyone knew about the tavern in Roslyn called Marko's Place.Just from what I am reading online it sounds like Marko's Place is giving the Brick a run for its money. Some on YELP are claiming it has the best selection of microbrews around. Has anyone been there?

Marko's Place , 106 North 1st St , Roslyn WA
Livin' the dream | Yelp

Livin' the dream | Yelp

Livin' the dream | Yelp

Last edited by senecaman; 01-07-2014 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 02:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
There was an interesting story on Nightline tonight. There is this town stadling the northern US/Canadian border, and every mid winter they have a competition with the Canadian town which also stradles the border. These people go out in twenty below weather and play games. They have some off the wall competitions, like the toilet seat toss, and general fun, and a marathon run IN the snow and ice. The general attitude and fun they were having really reminded me.

So there are some slighty off kilter folks up there who celebrate the spirit. I mean a footrace at twenty below????

Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
There was an interesting story on Nightline tonight. There is this town stadling the northern US/Canadian border, and every mid winter they have a competition with the Canadian town which also stradles the border. These people go out in twenty below weather and play games. They have some off the wall competitions, like the toilet seat toss, and general fun, and a marathon run IN the snow and ice. The general attitude and fun they were having really reminded me.

So there are some slighty off kilter folks up there who celebrate the spirit. I mean a footrace at twenty below????
Sounds like they would make good residents of Cicely. LOL If they can hack that weather at 20 below they would love Myrtle Beach in March. So for the footrace do they strip down to just running clothes? I guess with cold weather like that you can either stay inside all the time or enjoy it. In the episode of NE called "Spring Break" they were so happy for spring to be coming around the men ran naked through town-the so called "running of the bulls".

Northern eXposure - Joel's First Running of the Bulls - YouTube

Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecaman View Post
Sounds like they would make good residents of Cicely. LOL If they can hack that weather at 20 below they would love Myrtle Beach in March. So for the footrace do they strip down to just running clothes? I guess with cold weather like that you can either stay inside all the time or enjoy it. In the episode of NE called "Spring Break" they were so happy for spring to be coming around the men ran naked through town-the so called "running of the bulls".

Northern eXposure - Joel's First Running of the Bulls - YouTube

They had on more compact thermal clothes, but running shoes. There is a real danger of frostbite if the feet stay on the ground too long. Somehow they looked like they were having fun. I do think they would have been at home in Cicely.

I just recently watched that episode again (got s 1 to 3 so far) and loved it. You just felt good for Joel when he just let go. Forshadowing .....

Old 01-23-2014, 12:46 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,909,219 times
Oh, how I loved that show. Always hoped Joel and the lead female character would get married and live happily ever after...

Old 01-23-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Oh, how I loved that show. Always hoped Joel and the lead female character would get married and live happily ever after...
However short it might be for him....

Old 10-13-2016, 08:18 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Well, I spent over a year slowly working my way through Northern Exposure on Netflix DVDs. Last night I finally finished.

I dawdled at the end, as I always do when I approach the end of a series that I have truly enjoyed. I simply do not want it to end. I love Cicely. That's what the show did - it made a community, at least for me, that was real and appealing. I wanted to be there. The characterizations were perfect. That fine line between realism and absurdity was toed with perfection.

It ended when it needed to end. The contrivance of Joel Fleishman being bound temporarily by contract to Alaska meant that it could not go on forever. The series quickly got its footing and hit its peak in seasons three and four. Season five was very good, but you could already see that the characters were becoming played out. In the final sixth season this trend continued. Contrary to popular opinion, I think the departure of Fleischman made that final season good. First, the whole storyline of Into-the-Bush Shaggy Joel was terrific. Well and simply done. Everything that came after was a coda, a denouement. The Capras? I didn't mind. They were done well enough. I had no need to learn more about them than I did, but they served as a signal of what a town is - and ever-shifting collection of persons. Cicely had moved into the post-Joel era. Towns move on. They were a bridge to the future, and the final half-season took us halfway across that bridge.

As it turns out, the producers did not know that season six would be the end, though they realized that it well might. So they crafted an episode which could stand as a finale without closing off the possibility of continuing the series. That worked perfectly. Besides, did we really want to see married Maurice? Chris and Maggie a couple? I didn't. It's fine that it ended that way, but it is good that it did end. The series was neither aborted prematurely nor lingered on past its due date. The timing was right.

Oh, and Iris Dement's Our Town for the final montage? Those are four terrific minutes of television. Tone-perfect.

Someday, a decade or so from now, I'll watch it again. I'm already looking forward to it.

The last scene (reversed, but it doesn't matter):

https://vimeo.com/156496656
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV