Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:40 PM

649 posts, read 570,303 times

Advertisements

The Shield
Oz (Disturbing but fascinating)
Master of Sex
Fargo
Dead Like Me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Sons of Anarchy.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:04 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I just finished Bloodline on Netflix. It's really intense (so it's hard to really binge it,) but the acting is fantastic.
what is this show about?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:32 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
what is this show about?
Here's the description from Netflix, which explains it better than I can:

Quote:
"Bloodline" is a dramatic thriller that explores the demons lurking beneath the surface of a contemporary American family. The Rayburns are hard-working pillars of their Florida Keys community. But when the black sheep son comes home for the 45th anniversary of his parents' hotel, he threatens to expose the Rayburns' dark secrets and shameful past, pushing his siblings to the limits of family loyalty.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Here's the description from Netflix, which explains it better than I can:
ooooohhh.. that sounds like something I would like!!

Time to sign up for my free Netflix trial.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
I am currently watching Broadchurch season 1 - its not too exciting since GracePoint is almost identical to it (Gracepoint is the US version).... but I'm still going to watch it.

- did you ever see the show Five Days on HBO? Its got a similar feel to Broadchurch. I liked it.

Fargo- yes, I did like this- is there going to be a second season?

The others you mentioned.... I've never heard of..

thanks!
Never heard of Five Days, I'm gonna look for it. Gracepoint = Broadchurch, tho they changed key parts to keep it interesting. To me Broadchurch is clearly superior in every way but especially the wonderful actress who costars as the other police officer.

Both Jewel In the Crown & Brideshead (1981 version) are much older PBS/BBC series, they are slower & much more "literary" than most things on today but I still remember how the stories drew me in. Jewel is on Netflix now.

Lonesome Dove is just a fabulous miniseries about the West, truly one of the best series ever on tv, Robert Duvall gets to really flesh out a memorable character, a great entertaining yarn.

Luther is also Netflix, it's a better than average cop show, not quite up to the standard of the rest of the list but still very entertaining & with a really tremendous lead actor, Idris Elba who really brings something extra to this.

Last edited by Hefe; 06-15-2015 at 09:21 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Oh Jeez... reading the news about John Hurt having cancer brought to mind one of the greatest series ever on TV: "I, Claudius" , a very entertaining look at Rome & it's backstage mischief. I hope it's available somewhere, I haven't seen it in decades....

Old 06-16-2015, 06:43 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Oh Jeez... reading the news about John Hurt having cancer brought to mind one of the greatest series ever on TV: "I, Claudius" , a very entertaining look at Rome & it's backstage mischief. I hope it's available somewhere, I haven't seen it in decades....
It used to be on AcornTV, but I"m not sure if it still is.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:23 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
4. Six Feet Under
5. The Sopranos
6. House of Cards
7. Breaking Bad
13. Big Love
^These the ones from your list that I've seen & enjoyed, so my taste may only overlap 33% w/yours.
I like a lot of British series & mysteries, incl. police/legal/medical procedurals.

(as others have noted)-
Better Call Saul
The Good Wife
The Shield
The Wire
Bosch
Luther
Broadchurch
I, Claudius

Some American shows I enjoyed:
Rescue Me
Homicide: Life on The Street
Justified
In Treatment
Weeds
Hung
Boss
House
Nurse Jackie (not really a comedy, despite being categorized as such-it has humorous moments)
Orange is the New Black
Transparent
DaVinci's Inquest (Canadian crime drama, nothing to do with the Dan Brown book or movie)

Here's a Wiki page with list of some drama series (for which it has page entries):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...evision_series

Old 06-18-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Never heard of Five Days, I'm gonna look for it. Gracepoint = Broadchurch, tho they changed key parts to keep it interesting. To me Broadchurch is clearly superior in every way but especially the wonderful actress who costars as the other police officer.
I just finished season one of Broadchurch last night and I am glad I did... you are right about them changing some key points in Gracepoint. Now I wish I had saved season 2 of Broadchurch on my DVR.... I will have to wait until its on DVD at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV