Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times

Advertisements

Now that BREAKING BAD is gone, FARGO is the best TV series currently on TV. New season should be starting soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Not sure if we sync up seeing you didn't like The Wire, but there is hope for you yet.

Try these -

The Shield
The Killing
Luther
Sherlock
Wallander
Cracker
Justified
Damages
Life
Terriers

Old 06-19-2015, 08:44 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Not sure if we sync up seeing you didn't like The Wire, but there is hope for you yet.

Try these -

The Shield
The Killing
Luther
Sherlock
Wallander
Cracker
Justified
Damages
Life
Terriers
I didn't say I didn't like The Wire.... I just said that its not one of my all time favorites. I did enjoy it though... some seasons more than others. I think the season that dealt with the shipping containers was my favorite.

I loved The Killing and Damages. A friend of mine suggested Wallander - so that is one I need to check out.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:01 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
You should watch Orphan Black. It has the elements you enjoy in a show and Tatiana Maslany's acting will blow you away.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
You should watch Orphan Black. It has the elements you enjoy in a show and Tatiana Maslany's acting will blow you away.
A friend who has similar tastes as I do has recently suggested this one... I'm putting it on my list.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:00 PM

21 posts, read 13,732 times
Hannibal
Grimm
Ncis
Suits
Law and order
Nurse Jackie
2010 Hawaii five-0(original is better though

Old 06-20-2015, 02:05 PM

21 posts, read 13,732 times
Grimm
Suits
True detective
Sherlock
Hannibal
2010 Hawaii five- 0(original is better)
Law and order
Ncis

Old 06-20-2015, 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone- this thread is making me realize that there are still lots of good series out there I haven't watched yet.

There are now a couple on that I liked last summer and forgot about:

Tyrant
The Strain

Curious if anyone here watched Fortitude earlier this year. I really enjoyed that one. Kind of reminded me of Fargo with a bit of horror thrown in.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:47 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
Someone mentioned I, Claudius. It is still on Acorn TV. I currently have the free trial of that service through Roku, and I've thought about giving that a try but haven't yet. So many things to watch and so little time.

For the original poster, in case you sign up for Netflix, here are a few things I've come across there and also on Acorn TV. By the way, Acorn TV has a free 30 day trial and is only $4.99/month afterwards. Considering all the programming on both Netflix and Acorn TV they are definitely worth it, and have largely replaced my cable since I cut the cord last October. Looking at the shows you listed I have a feeling you'd like Acorn TV. The following shows off the top of my head I've enjoyed:

Netflix
---------
The Originals - I'm not into vampires, witches and werewolves usually, but this show has great acting and is entertaining. Rarely though do I find myself watching more than one episode at a time, but it is very good.

Peaky Blinders - Have one episode left for the second and last season available on Netflix, and I've been entertained. It's about an English street gang and an Irish lawman trying to bring them down. Time period is shortly after WW I. The lead actor is very good. Guessing there's a third season, possibly available in the fall.

Arrow - Probably my favorite discovery since I signed up for Netflix. Another great young actor playing the lead role.

Revolution - Don't have your list to look at so not sure what you've watched. Didn't think I'd be interested in this series but it's turned out to be halfway decent.

Bitten - Watched the first season, second season should be available in the fall I'm guessing. Another series with werewolves in it, but it's still a good show.

The 100 - Not targeted for my age group but a decent series. 100 kids (who were jailbirds) sent to Earth to test if the planet was inhabitable yet after a nuclear war forced the humans who survived to flee into space.

Prison Break is still on Netflix and is THE BEST series I've ever watched. That's how much I liked it. Even better than Breaking Bad for me. I got a little ansty the first season waiting for them to try to break out of prison, but let's just say things get interesting at the end of the season and thereafter. Made me appreciate the first season even more because it lead to the build up as it developed relationships between the characters.

May have mentioned something you've see already, but those are some of the series I've watched and enjoyed. Documentaries are something I've watched as well but wont list them because I think you were looking for series, plus not sure if I remember which ones I watched.

Now for Acorn TV. Have a feeling, based on your list, that'd you enjoy much of what's on this service. Seems to have a lot of detective series/mysteries, and much more. My free trial just started about a week ago and I've only had the opportunity to watch a few shows. Things I've watched at least partially so far:

Trivia - sitcom. About a middle aged man who lives at home with his parents, runs a video store, and who is VERY serious about his four person team winning the trivia game at the local tavern for 52 weeks in a row. They are closing in on it. I'll find out soon if they do so. And oh, he happens to have a serious crush on one of the women on the team.

Anzac Girls - About young Australian nurses serving during WW I to help wounded soldiers not far from the frontlines. It's ok, not sure if I'll watch much more of it. Good but women would probably like it more than I do.

Martin Clunes Wild Life - Only episode I watched was when he went to the place Born Free was filmed. Someone who helped raise the lions back then opened the camp back up to try to help raise more lions. Martin Clunes (Doc Martin) went there to visit and spend time with the first lion being raised. They want to repopulate the area with lions. Their numbers dropped dramatically in that region so conservationists think it's a good idea.

The Rise of the Nazi Party - Very well done 10 part documentary, if you are interested in history.

Britain's Bloodiest Dynasty: The Plantagenets - Watched the first episode. It's a good documentary. Again, if you like history.

Poldark - This is the original version from the mid-70's, not the current day version. Watched one episode, and while it was ok, not sure if I'll pick it back up.

Doc Martin - I didn't watch this on Acorn TV, but I have watched all seasons elsewhere, as well as the two movies. There are six seasons. Enjoyed the series but the movies were so-so.

Series I haven't watched but I've either read are good or look interesting enough to try:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Midsomer Murders

Rosamunde Pilcher's Shades of Love (About a struggling estate in Scotland)

Harry - Primarily want to see this because the a$$ of a detective in Peaky Blinders is in this and looks to be a detective in this one as well. (Hoping his behaviour has improved!)

Top Boy - Set in the drug and gang culture of East London. Not sure this is for me but may give it a look.

Touching Evil - About a detective assigned to the Organized and Serial Crimes unit.

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Murdoch Mysteries

I could on and on, but can't comment on how good they are, only that they look interesting and will give them a try. The categories on Acorn TV are: mystery, drama, comedy, documentary, costume dramas, modern mysteries, Agatha Christie, book adaptations. There are a couple others like New & Featured and Staff Picks but those shows are already listed in other categories.

Some of those may not be your cup of tea, but something in that list might catch your eye.

Last edited by OhioJB; 06-21-2015 at 05:15 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 05:01 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times
Broadchurch is on Netflix, but only has one season so far listed. Second season will probably be added in September or October. Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV