Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 01:34 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
After watching I was thinking "That ending reminded me of another series ending." Then it hit me: Dexter.
I hope you aren't actually comparing True Detective to Dexter. I re-watched the finale last night, and I'm just as impressed as I was on Sunday night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I'm really hoping he doesn't end up like Al Pacino in Carlito's Way
I called it!
He was almost there.
The Mexicans were Benny From the Bronx

Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I hope you aren't actually comparing True Detective to Dexter. I re-watched the finale last night, and I'm just as impressed as I was on Sunday night.
I am speaking on an entertainment basis (not art or creativity):

Last season - head and shoulders above Dexter.

This season - Enjoyed Dexter more......

Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I am speaking on an entertainment basis (not art or creativity):

Last season - head and shoulders above Dexter.

This season - Enjoyed Dexter more......
I got way more value out of season 2 than 1. I think some of those who disliked it would really appreciate it on a re-watch.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:01 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,232,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I got way more value out of season 2 than 1. I think some of those who disliked it would really appreciate it on a re-watch.
I already lost 8.5 hours of my life to this crap of a second season. NO WAY am I doing it again.

It was poorly written.

It was poorly cast, except for Colin Farrell and Rachel McAdams

It had plot lines that we invested quite a bit of time on, that went nowhere, or simply disappeared. The mayor, Ani's dad, mayor's daughter, disfigured lady in bar, yada yada.

It had the killer be someone we saw for six seconds in an early episode.

It had a big bad, the mayor's son, that we saw in two scenes, for maybe 15 seconds.

It had very strong and dynamic women, all the way up to the finale, when they became runaway wimps.

Remember Stan? He appeared for about 10 seconds in episode one. Then he was killed. Then Frank grieved over him episode after episode. Who the eff was he? We never knew. Just sloppy writing.

The main story was itself so insignificant, there was no way (in hindsight) it could ever work over eight episodes.

Yet at the same time we had a weak story, we also had a way over-complicated story. There were sites that would pop up each week, especially towards the end, that explained what the heck was going on. One took over 4,000 words to actually explain everything. And did a far better job than the show itself.

Nic Pizzolatto wrote the entire story. A perfect example of why you need help in the writer's room. Someone could have given him some guidance along the way, and shown him where the story could be made better.

Ratings started BETTER then Season One, then dropped to lower than ever by the end. The people have spoke.

'nuff said.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:25 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I already lost 8.5 hours of my life to this crap of a second season. NO WAY am I doing it again.

It was poorly written.

It had plot lines that we invested quite a bit of time on, that went nowhere, or simply disappeared. The mayor, Ani's dad, mayor's daughter, disfigured lady in bar, yada yada.

It had a big bad, the mayor's son, that we saw in two scenes, for maybe 15 seconds.

It had very strong and dynamic women, all the way up to the finale, when they became runaway wimps.

Remember Stan? He appeared for about 10 seconds in episode one. Then he was killed. Then Frank grieved over him episode after episode. Who the eff was he? We never knew. Just sloppy writing.

The main story was itself so insignificant, there was no way (in hindsight) it could ever work over eight episodes.

Yet at the same time we had a weak story, we also had a way over-complicated story. There were sites that would pop up each week, especially towards the end, that explained what the heck was going on. One took over 4,000 words to actually explain everything. And did a far better job than the show itself.

Nic Pizzolatto wrote the entire story. A perfect example of why you need help in the writer's room. Someone could have given him some guidance along the way, and shown him where the story could be made better.

Ratings started BETTER then Season One, then dropped to lower than ever by the end. The people have spoke.

'nuff said.

Amen! (The Emperor has no cloths........).

Old 08-12-2015, 09:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I enjoyed it but did find the finale overly complicated and there were problems with the script throughout. Frank and Jordon, the way they related and spoke, just annoyed me to no end. I liked season 1 better but it was a different show so it's apples to oranges.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Frank and Ray start out at the same place. Frank ends up at a dry lake (in the Mohave Desert?) and Ray ends up in a redwood forest. How many miles apart are these two locations? There aren't any redwood forests in southern California.

If you wanted to escape from a bunch of goons, why would you choose a redwood forest to do it in, anyway. Wouldn't you do it in downtown Los Angeles where they aren't going to chase after you with assault rifles in full view?

Then, instead of leaning around the tree and shooting, Ray jumps right into the open where he is an easy target

At the very end, Ani and Jordan and the baby and Nails go heading off to somewhere. What are they looking for? A place to buy some good made in the USA smokes? Marlboros? And an e-cig for the baby to suck on? You can never start them too young if you want them to take after dad.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:47 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Then, instead of leaning around the tree and shooting, Ray jumps right into the open where he is an easy target
I think Ray suicided on purpose after he saw that his final voice message to his son did not go through.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:14 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post

It was poorly written.

'nuff said.
I was about to write something similar but you summed it up perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV