Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 01:00 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times

Advertisements

Preposterous bodice ripping drama - but excellently done ...

Poldark | Programs | Masterpiece | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 12:58 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Have you seen the original thread about Poldark?

//www.city-data.com/forum/tv/12...e-theatre.html

Old 06-30-2015, 03:46 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Have you seen the original thread about Poldark?

//www.city-data.com/forum/tv/12...e-theatre.html
Thanks - missed it - maybe a mod can merge them - or future posts go to the long established thread.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:40 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Oh dear.... the man is in big trouble with his wife Demelza and has caused quite a stir with his actions.. but what a great show.. cant wait for the next episode.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Just started watching this on PBS since they are running season 1. Missed episodes 1 & 2 so I started at episode 3. Then I found the rest of them on my Apple TV device and watched episode 1 so I only have one more to catch up. It's a pretty good show, moves very fast plus Ross Poldark is very easy on the eyes.

I had to look up Cornwall as I thought they were in Scotland, many of the characters seemed to have Irish/Scottish accents although maybe that's how they talked in 1780.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:03 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Just started watching this on PBS since they are running season 1. Missed episodes 1 & 2 so I started at episode 3. Then I found the rest of them on my Apple TV device and watched episode 1 so I only have one more to catch up. It's a pretty good show, moves very fast plus Ross Poldark is very easy on the eyes.

I had to look up Cornwall as I thought they were in Scotland, many of the characters seemed to have Irish/Scottish accents although maybe that's how they talked in 1780.
You will probably be un-surprised to learn that they have 'Cornish' accents! :-)

Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You will probably be un-surprised to learn that they have 'Cornish' accents! :-)
I saw a sample of real, full on Cornish accent of today on one of the Doc Martin extras. I suspect that most non Cornish wouldn't have had a clue what they said. Those who have deep family ties to the area consider English their 'other' language.

Another thing I love about this new version is they bring more detail of the risks that Ross plays with. The episode in I think season 2 with the court was stunning, but drew you back into their world. As one of my favorite books and early masterpiece dramas, I am very pleased with the remake, especially as it sticks close to the books.

I love Doc Martin and how while its a few centuries later, the Cornwall of Ross Poldark is still there under the 21'st century additions.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:03 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

One of the criticisms of the the original television series (this new one is a remake) is that it deviated from the books. This new version started out more faithfully, but then deflected into an entirely new interpretation with a lot of dramatic license. If you like the story, read the Winston Graham series and see the original (and superior) original BBC drama series. New version leaves out a lot and changes the personalities of the characters.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:19 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
One of the criticisms of the the original television series (this new one is a remake) is that it deviated from the books. This new version started out more faithfully, but then deflected into an entirely new interpretation with a lot of dramatic license. If you like the story, read the Winston Graham series and see the original (and superior) original BBC drama series. New version leaves out a lot and changes the personalities of the characters.

Every TV adaption of a series of books seems to leave out a lot and often changes the characters' personalities. I have read all the Poldark novels, watching Ross grow from an angry young man to a far more seasoned one and seen the fates of many other characters; and I have enjoyed both the original Poldark TV series and the current one. The novels have it all; but both series have been very enjoyable. I will never forget Angharad Rees as Demelza; and think that the 1970's Warleggan actor fit the part much better, and like the current Caroline better than the earlier incarnation, etc. I'm glad they decided to do the current series.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:28 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Every TV adaption of a series of books seems to leave out a lot and often changes the characters' personalities. I have read all the Poldark novels, watching Ross grow from an angry young man to a far more seasoned one and seen the fates of many other characters; and I have enjoyed both the original Poldark TV series and the current one. The novels have it all; but both series have been very enjoyable. I will never forget Angharad Rees as Demelza; and think that the 1970's Warleggan actor fit the part much better, and like the current Caroline better than the earlier incarnation, etc. I'm glad they decided to do the current series.
I am also glad that they did the more recent series because the scenery and the cinematography are absolutely breathtaking. Robin Ellis also has a small part in the new version and some of his lines are obviously an inside joke for original Poldark fans. However, the recent series lacks the humor found in both the older series and the books and I think those that are only viewing the new series are missing out on that aspect of the story. I like the "new" Caroline, but I am also a fan of Ms. Judy Gleeson since I saw her in films when she was just a teen. With the exception of Ms. Townsend, all of the original cast had strong theater backgrounds and that showed in the TV series. Also, Mr. Graham was on-set and acted as an advisor for the second season. Unfortunately, the recent remake is more soap-operish whereas the original followed a literary thought-provoking style with a great deal of social and historical commentary. I also found that the remake is much better than the series made based on the later Poldark novels that Graham wrote. That series never aired in the U.S.

Last edited by Coney; 04-27-2017 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV