Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What makes a great finale?
Repeated gags/jokes from first episode(s) 1 3.70%
Main characters [finally] get together 3 11.11%
Demise of the antagonist 1 3.70%
Old characters return 3 11.11%
Epitome of character development 7 25.93%
Flashbacks 3 11.11%
Storylines wrapped up 23 85.19%
Characters split ways 3 11.11%
Something completely random and different from past episodes 5 18.52%
Other (list in replies) 2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 05:59 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Storylines wrapped up and staying true to the show. But also having a strong final season in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 02:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
Breaking Bad did a fantastic job at wrapping the story line, in all the directions it took you.

This. The final moments of that episode after everybody got gunned down were some of the best in TV history IMO. A very strong finish that managed to actually live up to the hype, especially compared to the Sopranos BS ending.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:47 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
I am not sure. The best finale I have ever seen was Newhart. The worst was Seinfeld.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:02 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Six Feet Under did this better than any series I've ever seen. It not only wrapped up storylines, it took each character up until the end of their lives.
You took the words right out of my...well...fingers.

Six Feet Under had what I consider to be the best series finale of any television show, ever. Everyone's story was wrapped up in the final 6-7 minutes, and it was all done so poignantly (to a beautiful song, "Breathe Me" by Sia) that the emotions it evoked were deep, heartwrenching. Awesome ending.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:03 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,382,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
Breaking Bad did a fantastic job at wrapping the story line, in all the directions it took you.
Breaking Bad has my vote for second best series ending, ever.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:00 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
two best finales for me was Breaking Bad and Mash

Old 07-13-2015, 10:10 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I am not sure. The best finale I have ever seen was Newhart. The worst was Seinfeld.
So agree!!!

Old 07-13-2015, 10:11 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
The Shield had a great finale as well.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
No one thing makes for a great finale.

People are noting Six Feet Under and how it wrapped up everyone's story so well. And I see that this appeals to the needs of a lot of people to have everything explained to them so they don't have to imagine anything. However, I hold fiction to be a collaborative effort between creators(s) and viewer(s)/reader(s), so it is not this aspect of that finale that I love but rather the way it was done.

As a counterpoint, I loved the finale of The Sopranos. The mood, the pacing, and then--- the you figure it out, audience, because there is no right or wrong answer to 'Did Tony survive?' expectation. Ditto Dexter - I loved the tragic, open-ended finale.

And that brings up another point - I don't crave the happy endings that some do. That's not the goal of fiction. Some stories will end happily, but some won't. Dexter running away to a new life with Hannah? I did not need that to be satisfied. And I found Dexter in the Pacific Northwest, his family and love gone, far from home and no longer without his professional access to fulfill his sociopathic drive, far more interesting than sailing off to domestic bliss in Argentina.

Breaking Bad? That's another good example of how the finale was done being more than precisely what happened. The opening scene of Walt in New Hampshire, with Marty Robbins' El Paso playing on the car stereo? And the ending, with Badfinger's Baby Blue playing as the fade-from-above shot shows Walt die? Incredible cinema!

Newhart nailed it with a nostalgic view back to The Bob Newhart Show that was also a tongue in cheek commentary on the use of dream sequences, such as that (in)famously used on Dallas.

So there's a lot of ways to end a series and it's more about how it is done than what is done.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:51 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Whatever makes a "great finale" seems to be missing from most of the great series I have enjoyed. Examples of bad or unfulfilling final episodes that come to mind:

The Sopranos
The Wire
Boardwalk Empire
Dexter
True Detectives Season 1 (since it seems that each season is to be unrelated to the previous season)
and several others that don't come to mind at the moment.

The final episode of Breaking Bad was ok (not perfect).

I think the shorter the series and the more focused it is, the better the ending.

Yes, I agree that the Dexter finale really sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV