Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:14 AM

2,921 posts, read 1,986,113 times

Advertisements

Another music channel - AccuRadio. Interesting how they have the eras broken down. I'm listening right now to Decade: 80's Listeners' Top 100. Lot of different options for each decade. Country, Heavy Metal, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:42 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
I stick with the freebies, though I'd like to try more.

I have Amazon Prime I go with the free programming on there. Occasionally I'll buy a season of a show but I don't do the $2/episode thing because the whole reason I dumped Cable TV was to save money, so I usually stick with free stuff.

I also like watching Married with Children on Crackle; glad to hear it is back because last time I went to watch it, it disappeared while I was looking for an episode. I've run across some good movies on there, too.

I have found things on Tubi TV, though at times have had buffering issues with that. Snagfilms is another one I've used on occasion, and Popcornflix.

The History Channel, Smithsonian and PBS have had programs of interest to me.

Sometimes I'll watch Huffpost or CBS live, JTS/Just the Story Ovguide, and very occasionally will check out a NASA channel.

I've added Pandora via Roku but I often forget to use it; same with Amazon Music.

Maybe it's time to take another gander at Roku's channels and add a few more freebies; I usually back out of them if they say other fees may be involved.

Last edited by cjs123; 07-06-2015 at 04:05 PM..

Old 07-07-2015, 11:28 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,208 times
MHZ has a great series going on now called "A French Village". It was on tonight at 8pm in Chicago, another episode at 9pm, that is CDT. If you miss an episode it will be shown on their site the next day and stay there for a week, look under "full episodes". Every day they have a different series at this time, the next airing of A French Village will be on the 14th. It is International TV so captioned. Check out their site for your Roku, I love it. They have a rerun each night at 11 and 12.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Old thread but rather than start another better to revive this one. Have added new Roku channels recently that have been useful.

CBS All-Access - Missed an episode each of Survivor & The Amazing Race so got the free trial to watch those episodes. Noticed they had seasons 2-11 of Survivor which are not on Hulu so decided to pay for a couple months to watch them. Once those are caught up I'll cancel.

Private channels I've found codes for online: Newswire, XTV, Purple, and channel Pear.

Watch Newswire because it has the three C-span channels. Also sometimes watch news channels, MSNBC for example. Their Fox News Channel feed doesn't work.

Looks like X TV isn't working this evening. Could be Roku shut them down, or they are just having technical problems.

channel Pear allows 5 channels for free, more than that they charge. I have Fox News and the MLB Network on it and they both have been working fine. BBC America hasn't worked yet. The Weather Channel works at times, usually it has technical difficulties.

cCloud works some times but takes a long time to load to get into it.

Don't remember what Purple is. I'll have to register to use it. Believe it's similar to the others I mentioned, with the exception of CBS All-Access. They are IPTV services that give access to different channels, oftentimes news, but that's not all. X TV has Spike, Syfy, tbs, TNT, USA, A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, Bravo and many others listed. Probably why they aren't working. Either Roku noticed it and shut it down, or the X TV has to do some housecleaning to get the channels streaming again. Only thing I have watched it for is AP news. Haven't used it hardly at all.

For the last couple of months have used the Reuters TV Roku channel. I like how they give the option of watching news in 10, 15 or 30 minute timeframes. Don't always feel like watching their full world news so select a shorter option. They do a decent job, although the sound can go up or down when they change to a different story.

Have never watched SNAG Films even though I've had it in my channel listings for at least a year. Looked at it today and they have an interesting selection. At some point will try watching something even though it's probably laden with commercials like the other free movie channels I've tried.

Eventually will give Britbox a look. Saw their listings on their website, not sure they have much I'll watch. Only $6.99/month. Cancelled Acorn TV for now, but will be back. $4.99 is a pretty good deal for what they provide. Spending so much time on Hulu and CBS All-Access, along with the news channels I mentioned above, don't have time for more services anyway.

I hadn't looked in the channel store for months, was surprised when I looked about a week ago. They are well stocked. How many of them are worthwhile may be another matter, as I've noticed in the past.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:42 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
XTV's recent movies on demand queue disappeared I noticed this evening; I still use them occasionally esp for MSNBC which mysteriously is always 30 minutes delayed. I wish Roku would get a MSNBC app ( & esp a TCM app!) I gave up on Pear months ago but I do watch one of the 2 unofficial Filmon channels that has the live Brit networks. That one has been buggy in recent weeks, not loading the BBC channels, & I have to keep going in/out i of the app until it loads them. Also it dropped Dave which was the other channel besides BBC4 I watched a lot. Also the Beeb channels have started buffering recently after playing for a bit.

There is another Filmon app, unofficial, whose main attraction in it's free form is a pretty decent classic film inventory, focused on British cinema, that you can create a queue on once you register. I will probably pay for Filmstruck in the future as Netflix winds down its film library for more & more series & originals.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 AM

Checked XTV this morning. Every channel I checked for live tv worked. Also looked at the 24/7 or whatever it's called worked fine. Interesting stuff you can get on some of these iptv channels. Watched a WW II documentary on one of them this morning while I worked. Starting to wonder if I should get a VPN service but don't believe it's needed. Everything I've heard is in the U.S. you can't get in trouble for streaming, but there might be some copyright infringement issues for the streaming services themselves depending on the content they are providing. Different story is sounds like for people in the U.K. where apparently even streaming can get someone in trouble. I'll be staying tuned on this.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:59 PM

679 posts, read 810,177 times
CW Seed - they have all the seasons of Whose Line is It Anyway.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I have pay channels on my Roku like Acorn, Hulu and Netflix, MLB so we can watch our home team when at Fl house, have Showtime and HBO on it--Amazon,
Have Crackle but never check it out---
Have PBS because my PBS channel is not "on demand" with my cable provider...
Have been watching Hulu a lot and Acorn--now has Crownies and another Aussie legal show--
Same blond that is on A Place Called Home Marta Düsseldorf.

I use Tunnelbear for VPN on my iPad but can't use it on Roku or at least don't know how to make it a private channel to use for BBC or other non US

Old 05-26-2017, 06:00 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I like watching using ROKU - PBS, Smithsonian, Reuters TV (news), Sky News, France 24 (news), Pandora (listening only), newsy, Twit (technology shows) and sometimes YouTube (which I find stuff using my tablet and then "cast" it to the TV) and Tune In (listening only but gives access to some international radio stations). On rare occasions, I look at some other news, movie or special interest channels which are free.

As for paid channels, I use Netflix and occasionally VUDU or Fandango (both of which I sometimes get promotional codes from T-Mobile Tuesdays app on my smartphone).

Old 05-26-2017, 09:57 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
For the last couple of months have used the Reuters TV Roku channel. I like how they give the option of watching news in 10, 15 or 30 minute timeframes. Don't always feel like watching their full world news so select a shorter option. They do a decent job, although the sound can go up or down when they change to a different story.
We also like the Reuters app and being able to choose different news lengths, but the soumd difference between stories gets annoying. I tried switching to NBC news, but they have too many human interest stories that I don't care about.

I watch a few shows through the CW app, and it also has an issue with the sound. It has commercials, and some commercial breaks start off with a commercial 10x as loud as the show I'm wsrching. I always watch with remote in hand so that I can quickly turn down the volume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV