Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 04:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,025,361 times

Advertisements

This episode's challenges were all amazing! I'd love to walk a lion or go feed some crocodiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:08 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Liked the Fruit basket walk up to the pit stop for a non competitive episode.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:39 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
I think the Pappazzi Team man/Chris? is too nervous. It interferes with his game play and decisions. He like runs around in a dither. He'd probably be OK if he could just relax some.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:00 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
I think the Pappazzi Team man/Chris? is too nervous. It interferes with his game play and decisions. He like runs around in a dither. He'd probably be OK if he could just relax some.
Ms. Paparazza won't let that happen. She can't refrain from carping on him. A friend of mine, with whom I've actually considered applying for the race, asked me what kinds of teams win. I pointed to the paparazzi and cited them as an example of teams that do not win: it's not about success, but about who is more to blame. I'd despise them just for being paparazzi even if they behaved like saints on the race, but watching them try to shush each other and implode fills me with the dichotomy of joy that they will fail, and joy at watching them struggle, with irritation every time some other team out-bungles them.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:32 PM

Hey, folks, I'd like your opinion on my friend and I as a potential team to run the race.

We have overtones of Oscar Madison and Felix Unger. I'm slightly shorter than average, and look like Gimli the Dwarf after a growth spurt; balding, heavy-bearded, heavyset, crew-cut, and green-eyed. He is six feet tall with long blond hair, tall willowy grace, handsome.

We met in college and have been close for thirty-three years. He's openly gay and single, I'm openly straight and married seventeen years. (He came out about ten years out of college. I was the second person he came out to; the first was a known homophobe which my tactically minded friend figured would represent the worst possibility, and was pleasantly surprised.) He's an antique dealer and estate appraiser. I'm an editor who sells some collectibles through him on consignment.

He has the business degree (and is brilliant in business matters, especially marketing), but my rock-ribbed money management makes me his main investing advisor. He speaks German as a second language; I speak Spanish, French, some Hebrew, some Russian, some Irish, some Swedish, and bits and pieces of twenty more. He is a socially adept sort liked by nearly everyone; I'm not socially adept, and am loved by some, hated by some, and misunderstood by most. We share a general cynicism about Murrica, and neither of us hews to any conventional political orthodoxy.

Our dynamic is a wisecracking kind with some schadenfreude and fundamental good humor. For example, during the gay marriage thing, my wife kept up a hilarious Facebook diary of how gay marriage was eroding her straight marriage. My friend was visiting and we were in the hot tub, and we posed in it with arms over each other's shoulders for a hilarious pic. When she finished, and I sidled away, he said: "You may now retreat to an acceptable heterosexual distance." It's a good thing I always take a leak before getting in the tub or I'd have ruined the water laughing. We were watching a football game, and I called one of the announcers a 'pole smoker.' Then turned to him with a smile and said: "No offense." He and my wife cracked up. A typical comment from him, when I asked him about the gay marriage thing: "It kind of sucks. It used to be this kind of avant-garde thing that made me cool, and now it's just 'big deal, so what.'"

We have very thoughtful discussions, the kind many men never have with other men, and always support each other. We both have dysfunctional families and both survived the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church. We've traveled together, and had a great time, because both of us have a pretty good attitude toward new people and places. He can run but has back trouble. I have knee trouble that slows me, but a high pain tolerance and a strong back. We're both detail people; we would have a procedure that whoever gets the clue has to read it aloud, slowly, making sure we don't blow past the transportation mode or some other key aspect.

We aren't whiny. Our DRs would be full of comedy, banter, and self-deprecation. "Fortunately for us, the Blue Team couldn't find its butts with both hands and a map." "Well, Phil, to be honest, we hoped to get our spar treatment from winning the leg, rather than from Albanian guys with granite fists." "By then, we were so hungry that the leopard was in danger from us." "It's a good thing he can dance, because obviously I dance like a cow on ice." "He actually did a pretty tasteful job on that for a straight guy." "If this bungi snaps, yes, you can keep the coins. But no fair weakening it!" "It says there are bears here. Obviously you should do this one, because they'll show you professional courtesy." We'd probably try to wear purple, since it is our alma mater's primary color (though you wouldn't know it from the football uniforms some weeks).

What do you think?

Old 10-25-2015, 04:04 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Hey, folks, I'd like your opinion on my friend and I as a potential team to run the race.......
What do you think?

Can you drive a manual shift? LOL
Go for it.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:58 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Hey, folks, I'd like your opinion on my friend and I as a potential team to run the race.

We have overtones of Oscar Madison and Felix Unger. I'm slightly shorter than average, and look like Gimli the Dwarf after a growth spurt; balding, heavy-bearded, heavyset, crew-cut, and green-eyed. He is six feet tall with long blond hair, tall willowy grace, handsome.

We met in college and have been close for thirty-three years. He's openly gay and single, I'm openly straight and married seventeen years. (He came out about ten years out of college. I was the second person he came out to; the first was a known homophobe which my tactically minded friend figured would represent the worst possibility, and was pleasantly surprised.) He's an antique dealer and estate appraiser. I'm an editor who sells some collectibles through him on consignment.

He has the business degree (and is brilliant in business matters, especially marketing), but my rock-ribbed money management makes me his main investing advisor. He speaks German as a second language; I speak Spanish, French, some Hebrew, some Russian, some Irish, some Swedish, and bits and pieces of twenty more. He is a socially adept sort liked by nearly everyone; I'm not socially adept, and am loved by some, hated by some, and misunderstood by most. We share a general cynicism about Murrica, and neither of us hews to any conventional political orthodoxy.

Our dynamic is a wisecracking kind with some schadenfreude and fundamental good humor. For example, during the gay marriage thing, my wife kept up a hilarious Facebook diary of how gay marriage was eroding her straight marriage. My friend was visiting and we were in the hot tub, and we posed in it with arms over each other's shoulders for a hilarious pic. When she finished, and I sidled away, he said: "You may now retreat to an acceptable heterosexual distance." It's a good thing I always take a leak before getting in the tub or I'd have ruined the water laughing. We were watching a football game, and I called one of the announcers a 'pole smoker.' Then turned to him with a smile and said: "No offense." He and my wife cracked up. A typical comment from him, when I asked him about the gay marriage thing: "It kind of sucks. It used to be this kind of avant-garde thing that made me cool, and now it's just 'big deal, so what.'"

We have very thoughtful discussions, the kind many men never have with other men, and always support each other. We both have dysfunctional families and both survived the Missouri Synod of the Lutheran Church. We've traveled together, and had a great time, because both of us have a pretty good attitude toward new people and places. He can run but has back trouble. I have knee trouble that slows me, but a high pain tolerance and a strong back. We're both detail people; we would have a procedure that whoever gets the clue has to read it aloud, slowly, making sure we don't blow past the transportation mode or some other key aspect.

We aren't whiny. Our DRs would be full of comedy, banter, and self-deprecation. "Fortunately for us, the Blue Team couldn't find its butts with both hands and a map." "Well, Phil, to be honest, we hoped to get our spar treatment from winning the leg, rather than from Albanian guys with granite fists." "By then, we were so hungry that the leopard was in danger from us." "It's a good thing he can dance, because obviously I dance like a cow on ice." "He actually did a pretty tasteful job on that for a straight guy." "If this bungi snaps, yes, you can keep the coins. But no fair weakening it!" "It says there are bears here. Obviously you should do this one, because they'll show you professional courtesy." We'd probably try to wear purple, since it is our alma mater's primary color (though you wouldn't know it from the football uniforms some weeks).

What do you think?

just do it and remember Pippy when you win

Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Can you drive a manual shift? LOL
Go for it.
I've owned the same one for a quarter century. Credit to my father: made me learn both manual and automatic.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
just do it and remember Pippy when you win
Heh. I definitely would, Skippers. Thanks for the support.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:46 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
j_k_k - DO IT! Don't hesitate, just send in that tape!

I think TAR is awesome and I can always tell which personalities are going to make it far...IMO, the couples that go far are the ones that have mutual respect for each other and generally get along. Even if you run into snags, which is bound to happen, it's HOW you deal with it that determines your success.

I think I couldn't run very well and that would put me at a disadvantage, but I've always wanted to try out for the race. I applaud all those who try...if you make it on, please give us a heads up! I think we'd all cheer up a storm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV