Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:58 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times

Advertisements

Catastrophe, one of the new Amazon originals. Normally don't like the romantic comedy sort of things, but this one was surprisingly good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 02:06 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver8ack View Post
I didn't watch The Wire until well after it was over. In fact I borrowed the first season from a friend and tried it twice within 3 or 4 months and stopped. I couldn't even understand them. But I consciously stuck with it on the third try, and it was one of the best seasons of television I have ever watched. The other seasons weren't nearly as good, but that first season was excellent.

Same thing with West Wing. Political dramas just aren't my thing. Started watching I think 2 years ago well after the series wrapped. I was hooked with WW much quicker than the Wire though. I binge watched the whole series in a couple weeks and then bought the whole series for my mom who I think will love it. But she's stubborn like me, it's just sitting at her house still wrapped. That's o.k., I'll keep prodding and as soon as she gets a few in, I know she will be hooked too.
Both The Wire and The West Wing were great shows. I didn't think The Wire was as good as The Shield despite many people claiming otherwise, but still very good in its own right.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:48 PM

287 posts, read 237,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Both The Wire and The West Wing were great shows. I didn't think The Wire was as good as The Shield despite many people claiming otherwise, but still very good in its own right.
The Shield was about 4 seasons old and I had never watched an episode until my job sent me to Peru and the only American show on was The Shield. It was in English with Spanish subtitles. Being that I still wasn't entirely fluent I used the marathon that was on to help me with my communication. It spanned the entire weekend.

By the time I came back, I was sooo hooked. I devoured all the seasons they had in about a week and own every episode on dvd and later on blu-ray.

I agree it is better than Wire if only just because there are more episodes and they were better longer where the Wire had an excellent 1st season followed by a pretty good "docks" season followed by the "schools" season..it was kind of anthology-like even though they tried to have continuity between them. Still excellent overall.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,608,094 times
The Walking Dead.

Too many rednecks that I knew liked it, and I find redneck culture to be disgusting.

Once I watched it and went online to read more about it, I learned that there were intelligent people who liked it too.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:36 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Most recently I discovered "Brooklyn Nine-Nine". Originally I thought it was going to be a lot of camp humor and it jus tdidnt interest me. I recently watched the first two seasons and found it very funny. I watch it a lot now when I am looking for something mindless.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 PM

27 posts, read 30,146 times
I find HBO's original, The Brink, to be good. But I don't find it as good as The Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
I never got into "Sons of Anarchy" when all those seasons were on FX. I had other shows I was watching.
Now I've been watching all the seasons of SOA commercial free (Cost free with membership), on Amazon Prime. I'm loving it....

Old 09-02-2015, 10:17 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Here's another one.. Psych.

I just didn't buy the concept of it.. Finally started watching it in S2 or so.. and.. One of my favorite shows of all time.

For those that mentioned Better Call Saul.. I actually was more disappointed by the show.. I think my expectations were just too high.. It really started to come into its own at the end of the season.. So, i have alot of hope for S2.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Game of Thrones. I had never heard of the books and was not excited by the idea of some remake of Braveheart.... I thought it was gonna be really bad acting and same old tired tropes of good and evil and knights and princesses overcoming all and saving the day. Then.... I watched the pilot. Whoaaaaaaa. Was hooked.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:54 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
1) Firefly. I loved Buffy and liked Angel, so had very high expectations. The first episode was out of order and it came across as kind of mess since you didn't know the characters. I immediately gave up out of grave disappointment, and then it was canceled. A few years later, I had a week before starting a new job and I binge watched it on Hulu and in the right order and I absolutely fell in love with the show. Great casting, great chemistry and a whole lotta fun. Nathan Fillion was great, and Adam Baldwin was perfect ("I'll be in my bunk."), as were everybody else. (Most of the cast has gone on to do good things elsewhere - Fillion in Castle, Baldwin in The Last Ship, Christina Hendricks in Mad Men, Morena Baccarin in V and Gotham, Summer Glau in the Terminator TV show and others, etc)

2) Big Bang Theory - I thought it would really put down nerds and I'm one of them nerds. So, I never watched it. However, several friends over the years told me to watch it and that I'd love it. Finally, I watched an episode in reruns and it just had me laughing so hysterically that I had tears running out of my eyes - it just hit all the right notes. (The episode was "The Adhesive Duck Deficiency") I gobbled up all the reruns on TNT or TBS and grew to love all the characters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV