Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:10 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Search for the Lost Giants - Episodes, Video & Schedule - HISTORY.com

Holy crap has the history channel gone downhill.

They're to History what MTV is to music. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 01:31 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

IDK, sounds like an interesting show to me!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
I've never seen this show but Vikings to me, is one of the best shows on TV.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I loved Vikings, as they didn't show them as supervillens but of their time and place and showed their culture. Its nice to see intergrated history.

I'm SO waiting for the next developments with the dig the Fiere brothers are doing in search of Templar treasure. There's a preview of it on the page.

I do miss the more traditional history they still do but less often. Though I admit I'm addicted to American pickers.

History can be in the grand sweep or in the surviving bits left in time, but its all a contact with the past.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:51 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
The History Channel stopped showing history years ago. People don't want education, they want reality shows. Albeit highly scripted and edited reality shows, but that's what the unwashed masses want. It's too bad. Real history is fascinating.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:08 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
They still show actual history shows if you wake up around 5 am to watch them.

Personally I love the Lost Giants and other similar shows. I find alternative history fascinating.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Some of my favorite channels from my childhood, Discovery Channel, TLC, The History Channel all have gone to crap.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
To me the final nail in the coffin of the History channel was the Ancient Aliens series. I still chuckle when I remember one sentence:
"Is it possible there were aliens during the first thanksgiving dinner ? Well, we don't know. But we can't say there were none!"
Yac.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:14 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I remember watching it ages ago (I still had cable, so it would have been 2007 or earlier) and watching a program about World War II (which made up half the programming then - I don't know, maybe it still does). Anyway, they showed a map of Europe with the countries Germany had conquered all of one color - except it was a modern map, with modern borders. Anyone with even a little knowledge of World War II should know that the borders of Eastern Europe changed considerably post-war (and again in the early 1990s, with Germany reunification, and the breakups of the USSR, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia - the modern map anachronistically showed all of this, too).

Also, how is Ax Men history? Oh, wait - I know! The shows air months after filming. Therefore, they're depicting the past - so... history!

Or Life After People? I actually found that interesting - but it was a show that imagined (ie, it was fiction) the future (which, last I checked, isn't in the past).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
I plan to watch The Vikings someday, probably when the series wraps. But... it's fiction. Fiction with some historical elements, sure (but then, so was Gone With The Wind, no?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Personally I love the Lost Giants and other similar shows. I find alternative history fascinating.
Alternative history comprises things like this:
"What if Japanese Admiral Nagumo had launched a third wave at Pearl Harbor?", or
"What if Richard Nixon had won the 1960 election?"

Search for the Lost Giants (I had to look that up and educate myself - wish I had that three minutes of my life back) is a melding of fantasy and pseudoscience.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Simply put, to call one's product The History Channel is to suggest that said product concerns itself with the field of history, an academic domain with rigorous standards. To then put forth a bunch of fiction, pseudoscience, and hare-brained conspiracy nuttery mixed in with some shoddily-produced history-lite makes the name of the channel nothing less than false advertising.

My guess is that most people watching the History Channel don't want to learn about history - they want to be entertained. And so the channel entertains.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:10 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
There really is only one obvious explanation. I can't believe no one sees it. The executives running the HISTORY CHANNEL ...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV