Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 11:44 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times

Advertisements

Dragnet on "COZI" TV and The Monkees on IFC. I like both shows. Especially The Monkees. I remember watching it when I was in grade school and when I saw it was on now I decided to give it a shot but thought that seeing it now I'd find it lame and dated. It's actually a great show, with some really funny stuff. Crazy stuff like a lot of breaking of the 4th wall and these wild chase scenes. In one the Monkees are being chased by two bad guys and they run into an alley and the bad guys run in after them. Then a few seconds later the Monkees come out of the alley riding unicycles and the bad guys following riding some kind of crazy thing. That made me LOL. Another was when they fought off a two headed orge by jumping up and down 3 times, rolling a cabbage, and giggling. Now who comes up with that stuff and knows it's going to be funny? Which it was

But I digress. The networks don't show the entire show. I know because I've watched them on the internet where I've seen the cut part. The worst was when they showed that Dragnet show where Burt Mustin played a cat burgler ("I ain't no bookkeeper") and they actually cut out one of the funniest scenes in Dragnet ever. The one where they offer him a cup of coffee and he turns it into a full meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 11:56 PM

I found the videos of the episodes I talked about in the OP. The first is the one with the unicycles. The second one is the one with the two headed orge. And the third is Burt Mustin turning a cup of coffee into a full meal. He was 83 years old at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuhq9jMi4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwxvBXnzgHY

Dragnet 1967 Full Episode (The Senior Citizen) - IMDb

Old 08-09-2015, 12:00 AM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
They called syndication cuts.

Notice that the times on the youtube videos are 25 minutes.. The standard running time of a current sitcom in the US is about 21 minutes. In syndication, it's often a minute or two less.. So, especially with shows from the 60's, cuts have to be made.. The ads pay the bills, not the shows.

I think TBS or someone actually ran episodes at a marginally faster speed in order to toss more commercials in.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:10 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,188 times
MeTV runs shows faster, I believe it's called "time-squeeze". It's slightly sped up but the audio is pitched down to it's normal frequency so it doesn't sound like Alvin & the Chipmunks. I've noticed it with Batman (TV show). When ever music is played the tempo varies.

Also on VH1 Classic, the SNL episodes have some kind of time-squeeze going on. It's noticeable during Weekend Update, when they speak it's too fast.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:42 AM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
I've noticed some cable networks experimenting with airing sitcom reruns with running times past the traditional half-hour slot. For instance, Logo aired Soap reruns with thirty-five or thirty-seven minute slots (2:34 to 3:09, or similar), and aired several episodes in a row, leading to a two or three-hour block of episodes (yay!!). At first I thought "At last! They're airing the complete episodes!" Alas, this didn't seem to be the case. They just placed longer commercial breaks between the same cut-for-syndication episodes and pushed out the air-times because they could not cut any more out of the episodes.

I understand their POV. To them, the programming is just filler between their all-important commercials. Still, if you're going to ignore the rules about starting on the hour or half-hour, why not just go whole-hog: contact the production companies and ask to air the complete episodes rather than the cut-for-syndication versions. The cuts were only made so the networks could honor that whole "start on the hour" thing anyway.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:30 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
So they have more time to sell advertising which is what tv is all about.

Old 08-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They called syndication cuts.

Notice that the times on the youtube videos are 25 minutes.. The standard running time of a current sitcom in the US is about 21 minutes. In syndication, it's often a minute or two less.. So, especially with shows from the 60's, cuts have to be made.. The ads pay the bills, not the shows.

I think TBS or someone actually ran episodes at a marginally faster speed in order to toss more commercials in.
The ads might pay the bills but that's not what they're doing. I'm sure they're not struggling and absolutely need those few minutes or else they'll go bankrupt. They could easily afford to run the entire show and still make a nice profit. Or they could at least be honest about it and say this show has had scenes cut so we can get more money

Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
MeTV runs shows faster, I believe it's called "time-squeeze". It's slightly sped up but the audio is pitched down to it's normal frequency so it doesn't sound like Alvin & the Chipmunks. I've noticed it with Batman (TV show). When ever music is played the tempo varies.

Also on VH1 Classic, the SNL episodes have some kind of time-squeeze going on. It's noticeable during Weekend Update, when they speak it's too fast.

The time squeeze I've heard of but don't notice it so that I don't mind

Old 08-09-2015, 09:20 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I absolutely notice the time compression; it would be hard not to if you're really paying attention. The movement on the screen often is jerky.

Alas, the only way to see the show as its producers intended is to watch via an online source, or buy the disc.

Burt Mustin was a great character actor and could be such a hoot, by the way. Thanks for that clip!

Old 08-09-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
So they have more time to sell advertising which is what tv is all about.
No, it's not. And I'm willing to bet you couldn't find a single network that will say publicly that they are only in it to sell advertising. They'd give you some BS about the viewer and how the viewer is so important to them blah blah blah. Also the advertisers aren't the only ones paying. I pay a cable bill every month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV