Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 12:35 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,519,851 times

Advertisements

Since Letterman ended CBS has been showing different series there, like Elementary or Mentalist.
Didn't people want to see Letterman reruns instead?

Looks like they're rotating a new show every three weeks or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:59 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Probably has to do with licensing.. Remember that Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants owns the shows. So, CBS would have to pay them for rebroadcast rights.. Letterman flipped out when NBC sold off rebroadcast rights in the early 90's to E!, I think.. He's not a fan of reruns from long ago.

I think they've not done themselves any favors with what they've put in that slot.. Bring in some rotating hosts doing a show from the Late, Late Show studio and hyping up Colbert.. reairing primetime dramas is not the way I would have gone. they couldn't use the Ed Sullivan Theater because of the remodels going on for Colbert, but.. hell, bring in musty old Dan Rather to do a half hour news interview show..

I also think they've screwed up the premier date.. Show should start on September 14th.. But, there's some logic to the 8th.. Football Week 1 is September 13th.. I dare say that they might show a commercial or two for the new Late Show during those games. So, there's logic to premiering on the 14th so that everything is fresh in mind and there's a fresh buzz for his first show.. But.. I can also see, since this is going to be a totally new show and basically a new style for Colbert.. Let him get that first week of shows under his belt, work out a few glitches, so that when he gets the NFL bump.. There's a few days of polish on the show.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:34 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,534,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Probably has to do with licensing.. Remember that Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants owns the shows. So, CBS would have to pay them for rebroadcast rights.. Letterman flipped out when NBC sold off rebroadcast rights in the early 90's to E!, I think.. He's not a fan of reruns from long ago.

I think they've not done themselves any favors with what they've put in that slot.. Bring in some rotating hosts doing a show from the Late, Late Show studio and hyping up Colbert.. reairing primetime dramas is not the way I would have gone. they couldn't use the Ed Sullivan Theater because of the remodels going on for Colbert, but.. hell, bring in musty old Dan Rather to do a half hour news interview show..

I also think they've screwed up the premier date.. Show should start on September 14th.. But, there's some logic to the 8th.. Football Week 1 is September 13th.. I dare say that they might show a commercial or two for the new Late Show during those games. So, there's logic to premiering on the 14th so that everything is fresh in mind and there's a fresh buzz for his first show.. But.. I can also see, since this is going to be a totally new show and basically a new style for Colbert.. Let him get that first week of shows under his belt, work out a few glitches, so that when he gets the NFL bump.. There's a few days of polish on the show.
This^^^^
Letterman was a very smart and savvy businessman. NBC Screwing Letterman over helped him become more than just an entertainer.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:43 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,519,851 times
What did they do in the past, when Letterman was on vacation? Did they do what they're doing now?

Old 08-15-2015, 01:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,019 times
Hopefully they figure something out soon. I miss channel surfing @ 11'35pm.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:36 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Its had no impact on me. The Letterman show frankly 'sucked' since his heart operation. That's about the time he just started phoning it in.

I don't like Fallon's show and Kimmel's show is about the best thing on at that time, even though I don't care for him in particular. I usually just put on the local weather for a few minutes and drift off to sleep.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:03 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What did they do in the past, when Letterman was on vacation? Did they do what they're doing now?
Vacation was a week or two, tops, so they just reran fairly recent episodes.. This is 4 months.. Though, the heart operation and the bout with shingles were similar.. In those instances, they brought in guest hosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Its had no impact on me. The Letterman show frankly 'sucked' since his heart operation. That's about the time he just started phoning it in.

I don't like Fallon's show and Kimmel's show is about the best thing on at that time, even though I don't care for him in particular. I usually just put on the local weather for a few minutes and drift off to sleep.
Letterman, to me, was still the best even though he often wasn't bringing his "A" game. I will agree that Kimmel is the only other late night host that I can stomach.. Never liked Jay, don't care for Fallon.. As I've said before.. I think CBS made a mistake in hiring Colbert, but time will tell. I think they should have gone after Conan.. I think he's the true 'next in line' to inherit the late night throne. Carson, Letterman, then Conan. You can see how they all descend from each other. I think if Letterman would answer the question, he'd agree that he'd rather have seen it go to Conan.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:24 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,844,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

Letterman, to me, was still the best even though he often wasn't bringing his "A" game. I will agree that Kimmel is the only other late night host that I can stomach.. Never liked Jay, don't care for Fallon.. As I've said before.. I think CBS made a mistake in hiring Colbert, but time will tell. I think they should have gone after Conan.. I think he's the true 'next in line' to inherit the late night throne. Carson, Letterman, then Conan. You can see how they all descend from each other. I think if Letterman would answer the question, he'd agree that he'd rather have seen it go to Conan.
Seems like there are a lot of talents, was Seinfeld asked? I agree, Conan is one of the greatest!! Why not Jon Stewart......???? Craig Ferguson? Maybe, others for various reasons, turned down the job? What about the gals? There are a bunch of talents.

I really like Jimmy Fallon and Kimmel. When Fallon has Justin Timberlake as a guest; it's a classic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV