Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2016, 12:34 PM

12,337 posts, read 8,068,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I had always thought both Metropolis and Gotham City were stand-ins for NYC, which I think is pretty obvious. (Is Metropolis like Manhattan and then Gotham City would be what, Brooklyn? Queens?. Or maybe Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn are Metropolis and Gotham City is Staten Island, Jersey City and some of northern NJ?) Batman v Superman mentions Gotham being across the water, which could be one of several rivers?

National City would be the equivalent of what? Los Angeles?

How about Starling City? (now Star City) is that Chicago? Detroit? or, is it more of a southern city like Dallas or Atlanta?

And, Central City would be what, Chicago? St. Louis? Denver?
As someone who has only seen Smallville and most of the Batman movies before Batman v Superman I had no ideal they were even in the same time zone. What was going on in Metropolis when Bane was going to nuke Gotham? Why pick Gotham with Metropolis next door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 01:00 PM

4,715 posts, read 5,940,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
As someone who has only seen Smallville and most of the Batman movies before Batman v Superman I had no ideal they were even in the same time zone. What was going on in Metropolis when Bane was going to nuke Gotham? Why pick Gotham with Metropolis next door?
there is a quote from Frank Miller that is something like, "NYC is Metropolis by day, Gotham City by night" or something like that.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:40 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,115,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The crossover was not as good as I was hoping. I agree I love the chemistry between Kara and Barry. The banshee look was AWFUL! And I didn't understand either her power to knock Supergirl on her butt.

My son watched it with me because he loves the Flash. They missed the mark greatly for him. Poor villains and the Flash didn't do anything heroic. He kept making mistakes and was knocked on his butt too.
They nerfed the flash so he would not outshine supergirl on her own show.
And I like how banshee looked, it was almost right out of the comic.

And I don't really like the show but this episode was cool.
but netflix marvel is the best as far as comic shows.
in order from worst to best
10.agent carter
9. Supergirl
8. Izombie
7. Gotham
6. Lucifer
5. agents of shield
4. The Flash
4 1/2. legends of tomorrow
3. Arrow
2. Jessica Jones
1. Daredevil

Last edited by cyphorx; 04-01-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
there is a quote from Frank Miller that is something like, "NYC is Metropolis by day, Gotham City by night" or something like that.
I guess I always assumed that while Superman could move between his homes easily for purposes of his secret identity Metropolis was somewhere in the Midwest so that Clark could make easy trips to Kansas

Old 04-01-2016, 09:27 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I guess I always assumed that while Superman could move between his homes easily for purposes of his secret identity Metropolis was somewhere in the Midwest so that Clark could make easy trips to Kansas
You thought there was an ocean next to the midwest?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You thought there was an ocean next to the midwest?
Great Lakes

Old 04-02-2016, 06:25 AM

They've pretty much confirmed that Metropolis is NYC over the years - even in the early days, somebody sent a letter to Superman addressed to "Metropolis, NY" - there is also some sort of version of the Statue of Liberty there as well.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:43 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,227,105 times
Watched a few episodes, but stopped watching due to the poor acting of supergirl and Jimmy. Terrible!

Old 04-02-2016, 03:35 PM

991 posts, read 627,722 times
Quote:
They've pretty much confirmed that Metropolis is NYC over the years - even in the early days, somebody sent a letter to Superman addressed to "Metropolis, NY" - there is also some sort of version of the Statue of Liberty there as well.
Joe Shuster, modeled the Metropolis skyline after Toronto, where he was born and lived until he was ten.

During the Silver Age era, Metropolis was firmly established as a coastal city on the Eastern seaboard, but it was never established which U.S. State it was located in.
On January 21, 1972, DC Comics declared Metropolis, Illinois as the “Hometown of Superman”.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
Joe Shuster, modeled the Metropolis skyline after Toronto, where he was born and lived until he was ten.

During the Silver Age era, Metropolis was firmly established as a coastal city on the Eastern seaboard, but it was never established which U.S. State it was located in.
On January 21, 1972, DC Comics declared Metropolis, Illinois as the “Hometown of Superman”.
from the wiki page:

In a 1970s edition of Ask the Answer Man, a column that ran occasionally in DC publications, it was stated that Metropolis and Gotham City were adjacent to New York City; across the harbor from each other.[10]

In June 1976, Superman #300 featured an out-of-canon story about the infant Kal-El arriving on Earth in that year, triggering an increase in Cold War tensions between the United States and the Soviet Union. In that story's version of the year 2001, Metropolis is located in New York.

In his 1978 work, The Great Superman Book, an encyclopedia of the first forty years of the Superman comics, author Michael Fleisher cites many, many examples which demonstrate that Metropolis equates with New York City. The most blatant of these might be the statement he cites from Action Comics #143 (April 1950), which states that the Statue of Liberty stands in "Metropolis Harbor".[2] The Statue of Liberty, in fact, stands in New York Harbor.

The 1992 "Death of Superman" storyline depicts Doomsday on a path from Ohio through the state of New York, ending in Metropolis, and the 2005 comic Countdown to Infinite Crisis also places Metropolis in the state of New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_(comics)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV