Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 06:56 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Because they've never shown a bed scene on a broadcast television, Metropolis-based, superhero series before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki1qOhzlmXE

Call it being "blasted" if you want, but I cannot imagine anyone can legitimately help but wonder if there isn't some kind of double-standard at play.
This actually proves my point! Smallville was geared more toward teenagers and 20-somethings than little kids. If I remember correctly, Kent didn't even dawn the suit until the last episode of the series. This show was deeply rooted in the vein of 90210 and other young adult shows that deal with relationships, with an emphasis on sci-fi. Little kids want to see someone in a super suit battling bad guys. Their eyes are drawn toward an elaborate costume. A good example of that. I dressed up like Batman for Halloween. When my 3 year old saw me for the first time, his eyes lit up and he pointed and shouted, "BATMAN!" I didn't even know if he knew who Batman was at that point, but he did! There is no way he would've looked at Smallville and said, "Superman!" When there's no cap, no suit, just a guy portraying a young Clark Kent in high school trying to "fit in", which is more geared toward teens.

However, he would see this attractive young lady in a "Superman" suit and know she must be a superhero, and superheros to little kids are considered role models. They watch the show to see the superhero battle the bad guys. I just feel Supergirl is stuck between trying to be that weekly superhero show where the hero defeats the bad guy, but then wants to throw in adult themes to draw in the young adults, and it's almost like the show is searching for an identity. Who is its target audience? As far as the sex scenes, it's one thing if Alex and Maggie are in bed together looking at a computer (such as the YT clip you posted), but it's quite another when you see one on top of the other and they're passionately kissing. I don't want my 3 year old watching it no matter who's involved, personally. I won't get into the whole gay and straight thing, because I know there are strong opinions on either side of that topic and that is not appropriate for this thread, but all I'm saying is, I think the TV show is searching for some sort of identity to keep going, because it's lost a major star this season and it hasn't been very good. There's a reason why it's been a bubble show the past couple seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 04:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
skins, you make a great point.

I think many (if not most) of these new shows are 90210 soaps masquerading as original programming and using well-known characters to lure in the crowd.

One of the worst offenders is that horsepucky crap, Riverdale.

Literally none of the characters are anything like the comic books...they just use the names. And then peddle their emo sh** under that name.

Sorry...that show just...angers me.

Anyway, obviously Supergirl isn't for kids anyway given the other plot lines (violence, betrayal, dysfunctional families, corporate misfits, murder, kidnapping, etc).

Old 11-10-2017, 06:31 AM

3,110 posts, read 1,987,647 times
I'm only up to S3 EP3 "Far From the Tree," but that was an excellent episode. Also, I got a rush when the human form of J'onn's father turned out to be actor Carl Lumbly.

Also, so far, this entire season has been really good. And I like the new darker colors of the "Supergirl" logo, which conveys a darker tone to this season.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
skins, you make a great point.

I think many (if not most) of these new shows are 90210 soaps masquerading as original programming and using well-known characters to lure in the crowd.

One of the worst offenders is that horsepucky crap, Riverdale.

Literally none of the characters are anything like the comic books...they just use the names. And then peddle their emo sh** under that name.

Sorry...that show just...angers me.

Anyway, obviously Supergirl isn't for kids anyway given the other plot lines (violence, betrayal, dysfunctional families, corporate misfits, murder, kidnapping, etc).
Yeah, my wife likes Riverdale, I haven't watch one episode yet. The CW, in general, is trying to gear their shows up, mostly, for a target audience of young adults. College age and maybe a bit older. Which is fine. Even though I'm in my 40's, I still like to think I'm fairly young and I enjoy watching 20-something shows. But, I am a bit more cognizant now that I have a child. I want to be that cool dad that wants to watch the superhero movies and shows with my son. I thought Supergirl would probably be OK, and when it was on CBS, I think it was definitely good for a general audience. Since it's moved to the CW, it's definitely tried to introduce more adult themes. I haven't watched this week's episode yet, I watched last week's episode. Kind of freaky. Starting to look a little more evil. Definitely wouldn't let a child watch Supergirl now.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:35 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
I'm only up to S3 EP3 "Far From the Tree," but that was an excellent episode. Also, I got a rush when the human form of J'onn's father turned out to be actor Carl Lumbly.

Also, so far, this entire season has been really good. And I like the new darker colors of the "Supergirl" logo, which conveys a darker tone to this season.
I have noticed that this season seems to be quite dour as compared to the previous seasons. I am not sure if I like that. I mean if you want dour- you have Arrow. This show should be more light hearted in tone like the Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
I have noticed that this season seems to be quite dour as compared to the previous seasons. I am not sure if I like that. I mean if you want dour- you have Arrow. This show should be more light hearted in tone like the Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.
Season one was boring. It's really gotten grittier and more interesting the last 2 seasons.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:58 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,002 times
I've wondered about the little scar over Kara's left eyebrow. Kara from 10 years ago didn't have that scar.

Nice that Noel Neill showed up in the last episode.

Last edited by NCDave; 11-16-2017 at 10:07 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 08:34 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
I really liked tonight's episode. Mon-El is back with a bit of a mystery from the future, Saturn Girl from the Legion of Super Heroes was introduced, and Samantha Arias becomes Reign (the world killer). I wonder what that will mean for her daughter. Sadly, Kara found Mon-El only to lose him all over again in a different way. The next episodes should be really interesting.

Next week begins another two-night crossover event which should also be good.

Old 11-21-2017, 02:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I skipped watching it last year because the main reason I watched it was because of Calista Flockhart. If she's back, I'll watch again!

Old 11-27-2017, 11:31 AM

The last episode I've watched was with Kara and her sister as they were ten years ago. Honestly, I really liked this episode. In fact, I think if the entire series had been set in this time frame from the beginning, it would've worked really well for the show. I know it's crossing over into Smallville territory a bit, but it was a fun episode to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV