Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:49 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I may have mental problems but it's got nothing to do with me watching TV. In fact I don't watch a lot of TV.
Somebody needs to pay attention in science class. If you have mental problems it is either an inborn trait or quality of life (i.e. depression stems from abuse).
Also it seems to me that NT's watch TV more than the mentally deficient ones. At the very least from what I've observed many watch TV more than I do. Everyone has watched TV at some point. Why aren't they all developing problems from it?
If you watch too much TV yeah that's probably bad but same with not getting any fresh air or eating too much junk food. It's all about moderation.

TV can be either a form of entertainment or discovery (gasp! you can learn watching TV. how about that?) or both. In any case it's not a waste of time and mind. It's a way to power down. Would you say the same for internet shows as well? Are they a waste of time?
If they're a waste of time to you, good don't watch TV but don't act like everyone should do the same as you.

Before the internet, there was TV and books. What can take a long time to learn from a book could be absorbed from the television. Personally I used to love to read but at the same time they are more just words on the paper. Actually a TV show I watched as a child reconfirmed my love of books back then and made the books come more to life.

I realize that you're talking about most popular programming (not sure which shows you are referring to) but even then it depends on the person. It's whatever they like. If they enjoy it because they do and not because it's popular then it's fine.

I do agree with the OP about TV not being a substitute to professional help though.
Interesting, what is your point? That TV is a useful tool for winding down from the stressful consumeristic existence you have been programmed to participate in since you were born?

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Rather than tell me what Adult Swim is, I get a message just saying "Duh" from the OP.
So I looked it up . Obviously I don't watch TV enough to know what it was, as perhaps, neither do other readers here.
In the time it took to PM me, it could have been explained.
Duh!
same here old. I knew it was tv but they are talking like it has some other special meaning. like the words rainbow and spectrum have morfed into something else. so I don't know.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:03 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Know Nonsense View Post
Interesting, what is your point? That TV is a useful tool for winding down from the stressful consumeristic existence you have been programmed to participate in since you were born?

Really? That's what you get out of my argument?
If I have been programmed to participate wouldn't that mean I'd like a lot more TV shows than I do? Wouldn't I watch the Kardashians, the Bachelor etc.
TV can be an escape from life. Life can be stressful. Consumerism has got little to do with it. Some get more stress than others so there are other people that could use the escape more. Maybe you need to get out more. People are often aholes did you know?
TV can also be a tool to accelerate your imagination. I used to write fanfics for my favorite TV shows.

Now don't get me wrong to me music is more useful than TV but that doesn't mean TV is a waste of time especially when TV has music related programs on it.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Really? That's what you get out of my argument?
If I have been programmed to participate wouldn't that mean I'd like a lot more TV shows than I do? Wouldn't I watch the Kardashians, the Bachelor etc.
TV can be an escape from life. Life can be stressful. Consumerism has got little to do with it. Some get more stress than others so there are other people that could use the escape more. Maybe you need to get out more. People are often aholes did you know?
TV can also be a tool to accelerate your imagination. I used to write fanfics for my favorite TV shows.

Now don't get me wrong to me music is more useful than TV but that doesn't mean TV is a waste of time especially when TV has music related programs on it.
Consumerism and the American life has everything to do with stress. That you seem to think there is no correlation between the drama on TV, violence, sex, etc. and its effect on people in reality is sheer ignorance. Most people are drama kings and queens because they have been conditioned to be that way through media, TV programming being the biggest culprit. The internet and fakebook have overtaken TV as the biggest drama producers now however and it will only get worse.
You are being programmed by media. The sooner you realize it and make a conscious decision about it the more peace of mind you will have over the long term.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 09-04-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 01:58 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
You probably already know, but it's a show block that replaced Toonami in the 00s on Cartoon Network, that airs more mature shows.
I didn't realize what it was either. I thought it was actually "adult swim" and couldn't see what would be wrong with it because the exercise and water would be calming to a lot of people.

Quote:
TV is another escape mechanism. We went to the state mental hospital in MI in 1970 and TV seemed popular. Sadly, many programs, including those for people with developmental disabilities, count on that for keeping the "clients" what they consider busy or entertained.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:11 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
Quote:
Consumerism and the American life has everything to do with stress. That you seem to think there is no correlation between the drama on TV, violence, sex, etc. and its effect on people in reality is sheer ignorance. Most people are drama kings and queens because they have been conditioned to be that way through media, TV programming being the biggest culprit. The internet and fakebook have overtaken TV as the biggest drama producers now however and it will only get worse.
You are being programmed by media. The sooner you realize it and make a conscious decision about it the more peace of mind you will have over the long term.
Cool so if I stop watching TV, I'll have me a job. They'll be knocking down my doors with tons of offers because they heard that I stopped watching TV. It's that simple right?

There is only a correlation between what's on TV by certain people. It's true some people are heavily influenced by what they watch on TV. I see a lot of people that join bandwagons but that doesn't mean that TV is a waste. It means that the person is being a wasteful individual. It's just like if a police officer shoots someone that he should not have should we blame the gun or the officer?

I also notice that you completely ignored my response about me not watching all the popular shows.

I really wish I was programmed by media though..then when I watch the Voice and see all the contestants that talk about how you should follow your dreams I would believe them. Then when I see a romantic comedy, I will believe that I can have the man of my dreams. Or even when I see a movie and the bad guy gets what he deserves.

Last edited by Nickchick; 09-05-2015 at 12:20 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Cool so if I stop watching TV, I'll have me a job. They'll be knocking down my doors with tons of offers because they heard that I stopped watching TV. It's that simple right?

There is only a correlation between what's on TV by certain people. It's true some people are heavily influenced by what they watch on TV. I see a lot of people that join bandwagons but that doesn't mean that TV is a waste. It means that the person is being a wasteful individual. It's just like if a police officer shoots someone that he should not have should we blame the gun or the officer?

I also notice that you completely ignored my response about me not watching all the popular shows.

I really wish I was programmed by media though..then when I watch the Voice and see all the contestants that talk about how you should follow your dreams I would believe them. Then when I see a romantic comedy, I will believe that I can have the man of my dreams. Or even when I see a movie and the bad guy gets what he deserves.
I am talking about the vast wasteland of TV programming that many adhere too. Movies and films are different.

TV is 90% junk, just like fast food. But Americans sure love their
junk food and TV. Why? Because they have been conditioned to since they were born , TV commercials and programming being a primary factor.

You are missing the point about being programmed because you are programmed.. Still not sure what your point is though.

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 09-05-2015 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 AM

296 posts, read 413,594 times
Default why does adult swim appeal to the mentally ill?

Adult Swim contains episodes of mindless serial violence and murder. You are supposed to laugh at this slaughter.
Is it good to connect violence, murder, and pleasure?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
I am talking about the vast wasteland of TV programming that many adhere too. Movies and films are different.

TV is 90% junk, just like fast food. But Americans sure love their
junk food and TV. Why? Because they have been conditioned to since they were born , TV commercials and programming being a primary factor.

You are missing the point about being programmed because you are programmed.. Still not sure what your point is though.
That you're a ceazy anti-television radical?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flip33 View Post
Adult Swim contains episodes of mindless serial violence and murder. You are supposed to laugh at this slaughter.
Is it good to connect violence, murder, and pleasure?
Isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV