Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 07:41 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times

Advertisements

I am coming to the point I can tell which channel I am on by what commercial is playing. How much money would you spend each month if you gave to all those charities that want $19 per month. I love that little boy in the wheelchair though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 09:28 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I don't know about the OP, but my remote actually has a MUTE button and can change the channel. I do that with the annoying fat middle age women with their New Jersey accents on those Deal Dash ads, and the stupid Progressive talking box.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:39 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
I usually just mute or leave the room, however...

What is with that bright PINK sweater that Winkler wears in the latest reverse mortgage commercial?!

Fonzie woulda kicked his ass for going out in public with that.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:48 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
My guess would be that they are motivated to do these commercials more by ego than money. They are probably addicted to the validation they get when people recognize them, this is a way to extend their time in the spotlight

Last edited by Robert5; 09-19-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Stop watching Fox News & you won't see so many.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Stop watching Fox News & you won't see so many.
Any chance a dem can get to bash Fox they'll take it. LOL

Old 09-19-2015, 01:39 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
These folks mentioned don't bother me like the young-ish UBER rich hawking products. I could see the Fonz or Chuck needing the money, plus I doubt they're being paid millions for a few minutes work.

And the funny one imo, is Ellen selling makeup. I like her but really, is she the one you'd go to for makeup advice? And does she need the money, heck no. So the consumer pays more for the product so the company can pay these stars. I like the old days where a big name wouldn't be caught dead doing commercials. Then they started doing them in other countries and got a taste for the big easy bucks.

But then I'm against buying brand names except for food. I don't want to pay $$$ to be a advertiser for a big rich company. I'm female and I'm ashamed of how other women think wearing an expensive brand is the most important thing in the world. Buy for quality not to keep up with whatever's trending.

Sorry, guess I went off topic a bit.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 PM

507 posts, read 443,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
These folks mentioned don't bother me like the young-ish UBER rich hawking products. I could see the Fonz or Chuck needing the money, plus I doubt they're being paid millions for a few minutes work.

And the funny one imo, is Ellen selling makeup. I like her but really, is she the one you'd go to for makeup advice? And does she need the money, heck no. So the consumer pays more for the product so the company can pay these stars. I like the old days where a big name wouldn't be caught dead doing commercials. Then they started doing them in other countries and got a taste for the big easy bucks.

But then I'm against buying brand names except for food. I don't want to pay $$$ to be a advertiser for a big rich company. I'm female and I'm ashamed of how other women think wearing an expensive brand is the most important thing in the world. Buy for quality not to keep up with whatever's trending.

Sorry, guess I went off topic a bit.
Ellen's commercials bother me because she claims to be against animal cruelty, but the company she promotes tests on animals. Seems a bit hypocritical.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:03 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennia View Post
Ellen's commercials bother me because she claims to be against animal cruelty, but the company she promotes tests on animals. Seems a bit hypocritical.
I didn't know that, shame on her.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:12 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,846,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I don't know about the OP, but my remote actually has a MUTE button and can change the channel. I do that with the annoying fat middle age women with their New Jersey accents on those Deal Dash ads, and the stupid Progressive talking box.
What would I do without my remote and the MUTE button?? I have been listening to the drug commercials; and how they say, "this drug may cause bleeding, cancer, death; but it may control your problem or go into remission," WHAT??? I think "they," know we mute the commercials and use that to their advantage.

What is up with Progressive ads?? Geico has the best! Lexus is my fav right now, with the hunky guy saving the girl and her broken faucet; when my faucet broke, and water was spouting out like a fountain, where was that man???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV